[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
someone in a college fiction workshop gave me shit for using
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: 1456366638829.jpg (72 KB, 360x600) Image search: [Google]
1456366638829.jpg
72 KB, 360x600
someone in a college fiction workshop gave me shit for using a justified alignment. is it that bad? should i not do it? my professor didn't mention it
>>
>>7783422
>quibbling over inconsequential formatting
fuck em and feed em fish
>>
>>7783422
wot since when has that ever been bad?
>>
>>7783429
that was pretty much my reaction as well. i just like the way it looks, but i wasn't sure if it was repellant to most readers or not. i would imagine not, since books are formatted the same way...
>>
>>7783422
I vaguely recall hearing something about it being considered bad form but I forgot why.
>>
>>7783422
You do whatever the fuck you want, it is literally JUST a stylistic preference
>>
>>7783437
well, to be fair i'm pretty sure he's mildly to severely autistic. seems this is more of an autism speaks thing than anything else?
>>
>>7783422
I find that people generally prefer justified when reading in paper and left-align when on a screen.
>>
>>7783422

Justified alignment is hegemonic and phallocentric
check your heteronormative colonializing privilege
pretending not to realize this in 2016 is just non-convincing
>>
>>7783468
forgive this lowly shitlord of his misdoings
>>
>>7783474

congratulations
that's sexual harassment
>>
I looked into it, and apparently it's thought of as harder to read and ugly looking if done in Word or a similar program without fine adjustments.

I never knew people were so particular about this, but I guess they are.
>>
>>7783523
well i do it in pages, so i'd imagine it's even worse there.
>>
>>7783468
Are there people who really speak like this in the United States or Western Europe? Or is this badly exaggerated for comedic purposes?
>>
>>7783422
She was probably joking.
>>
>>7783422
Depends, are you writing a poem for a fucking gift card? If not, write like someone who actually reads. Christ, your teacher is right. Centre justifying, that's as bad as writing from the perspective of a pet.
>>
>>7784335
my prof didn't give a shit, pal
>>
>>7783511
i'd like to ask that you don't use the letter i as it represents a phallus and by extension the patriarchy. thank you.

please avoid using the letter t as well as it looks like two dicks touching and that's gay
>>
>>7784415
Why do you want it to be justified?

If you don't have a reason, don't do it. If you want to experiment with form, there are far better ways, just read some contemporary stuff.

Make sure it's a good reason. I knew a guy who wrote a poem in the shape of a teardrop because it was sad.

He didn't fly so good.
>>
>>7784424

the issue with the letter t is with the upper-case form, as it resembles a full set of male genitalia. the lowercase form is to be used in all instances, for precisely the reason of inclusiveness given in your post erroneously as reason to avoid.
>>
>>7784433
I like how clean it looks, baby!
>>
>>7784470
That's why it's used in greeting cards.

It looks twee.
>>
>>7784424
>please avoid using the letter t as well as it looks like two dicks touching and that's gay

Hey, no faggot shaming.
>>
>>7784476
you ever read a fuckin book that isn't justified?
>>
>>7784424
! reminds me of Hitler's only testicle below his erect penis and my grandparents died during the war so avoid any exclamations pls
>>
>>7784496
The Swedish anthology of DFWs short stories and non fiction.
>>
>>7783422
>using a justified alignment
Why tho?
>>
>>7784526
ah yes, and everything is indeed illuminated
>>
File: triggered 1.jpg (38 KB, 720x621) Image search: [Google]
triggered 1.jpg
38 KB, 720x621
>>7784521
MOTHERFUCKIN TRIGGERED
>>
>>7783705
You will never meet them, but they exist. That type of vocabulary usually comes out in print (writing, or online) because even they are self-aware enough to realize it is incompatible with face-to-face reality.
>>
the fuck? where I live you need to have everything, literally fucking everything justified, or you don't get your grade for it.

or you do get it but with a ton of shit.
>>
>>7784674
Yeah... Justified is my normal use here. Always has been, since, like, '95. When we had fucking WebTV.
>>
>>7784335
>>7784433
>>7784476
What justified alignment is and what you think justified alignment is are not the same thing.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.