[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think of Rimbaud?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (144 KB, 664x874) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
144 KB, 664x874
What does /lit/ think of Rimbaud?
>>
shit and dead homo
>>
verlaine is better
>>
High tier two.
>>
idk i red a shit translation of a journey in hell and found it kinda lame. but then again i was like 15 and it was a translation of poetry so who knows. usually poetry iscompletely lost in translation.
>>
"After the Deluge" from the Illuminations is beautiful.
>>
>>7783114
season in hell/drunken boat/illuminations some of the best poetry ever written. the interpretation of his legacy/ people enacting what they think he stood for is more troubling
>>
>>7783136
Because some of his poems rhyme?

This is such a bad opinion. How can you think this?
>>
>>7783645
Personally, I prefer Verlaine as well.

http://www.poetryintranslation.com/PITBR/French/Verlaine.htm
>>
>>7783114
>>7783136
Sonnet to an asshole, by PV & AR

Dark and wrinkled like a purple pink
It breathes, nestling humbly among the still-damp
Froth of love that follows the gentle slope
Of the white buttocks to its crater's edge.

Filaments like tears of milk
Have wept in the cruel wind which pushes them back,
Across little clots of reddish marl
To lose themselves where the slope called them.

My dream has often kissed its opening;
My soul, jealous of physical coitus,
Has made this its fawn-coloured tear-bottle and its nest of sobs.

It is the rapturous olive and the wheedling flute,
The tube from which the heavenly burnt almond falls:
Feminine Canaan enclosed among moistures.
>>
>>7783645
But some of Rimbaud's poems rhyme too
>>
>>7783114
He was good but overrated.
>>
>>7783689
I just googled it because I thought it was a parody. WELP, shows how much I know about Rimbaud.

And it's in none of the three collections I have. Wtf!
>>
>>7783586

For what it's worth - my appreciation for Rimbaud grew when I had the opportunity to read his work in french.

Unfortunately, something is usually lost in translation. With a language such as french it seems that poetry is heavily dependent upon not just the meaning but the sound of words. This is particularly true with the surrealists.

It is unfortunate I'm not able to read Rilke in German. I wonder if the same would be true for his elegies.
>>
>>7785113
>surrealists
Even more for the Symbolists or the Parnass actually
>>
>>7783114
qt as fuck
>>
>>7785120
I can see how this would be true - he predated surrealism in age but not form. It seems to me that most poetry benefits from being read in its mother tongue.

My russian g/f reads to me Mayakovsky and others...always sounds wonderful to my pleb ears.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1 MB, 2815x1060) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1 MB, 2815x1060
>>7783114
I'd room with him
>>
Not as cool as Elliot Rodger
>>
>>7785079
>I can't think, but I can think less.
>>
>>7783689
:----____---------___----- DDDDD ebin xDDDd
>>
>>7785037
Both Rimbaud's and Verlaine's poems rhyme in French.
>>
>>7785113
I read it in English and it turned me on so much I had to fap to it.
>>
Well as a poetry hater, I hate him
As a machine. I hate him
As a despisable human I hate him
>>
Kafka is better also.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.