[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the /lit/ equivalent of this chart?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 5
File: you.jpg (602 KB, 1952x1744) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
602 KB, 1952x1744
What the /lit/ equivalent of this chart?
>>
>>7783052
Start with the Greeks.
>>
Neechay
>>
Bela Tarr, Jonas Mekas. Who are the rest?
>>
>>7783052
basically meme trilogy and also Kubrick should be on this
>>
basically fuck off back to shit boards fagtron
>>
Kant then Schopenhauer.

Bonus: gives you the ability to convince the shit out of everyone
Negatives: you have to read Kant and then Schopenhauer, dying inside
>>
>>7783063
greenaway, james benning(i think)
>>
how can anyone be bothered by peter greenaway? he's an inoffensive goofball who makes well lit historical dramas
>>
>>7783318
he makes snobbishly giant claims that he can't argue for shit for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t-9qxqdVm4

Look at this interview or any others and you get the idea that he has no clue what he's talking about.
>>
>>7783344
i don't give a fuck how he interviews. bob dylan was a prick in interviews.

go back to /tv/ and stop whining that people like movies you don't.
>>
Foster Wallace, Pynchon, Joyce
>>
If a 16 y/o is watching Mekas and Tarr and Benning I think their taste is fucking superior. I was watching Fight Club and listening to nu-metal and trying to get girls at school to 'like' me when I was 16.
>>
>>7783305
Schoppy can be annoying, but is Kant really that bad? Hes the biggest figure in western philosophy since Aristotle, its hard to just disregard him.
>>
>>7783305
Schopenhauer was truely a great philosopher, he was jus left irrelevant by the existentialists.
>>
>>7783052
Ozu is the greatest director.

> hurr durr I like Mekas and Tarr

They're crap.
>>
>>7783726
Schopenhauer is a great stylist, Kant should have been shot for his writing style if he weren't so brilliant.
>>
>>7783351
bob dylan was a pretentious kike

>>7783724
what's wrong with nu metal
>>
>>7784416
>what's wrong with nu metal
>>
>>7784416
>was
come on, bob dylan is fine
>>
>>7783052
This chart will give you better tastes then 99% of the population though
>>
>thinking i can tell ugly old white guys apart
saying pynchon, delillio and roth are the best living writers
>>
>>7784254
At the beginning of the Prolegomena to any Future Metaphysics he basically said:

I could totes write flamboyantly and attractively if I wanted to and y'all bitches would be dripping over my prose, but that wouldn't do justice to what I'm trying to say so get your autism on boys, it's gonna' be a long ride.
>>
>>7784891
This is in the Preface of the Cambridge edition thing:

"It is not given to everyone to write so subtlely and yet also so alluringly as
David Hume, or so profoundly and at the same time so elegantly as Moses
Mendelssohn;
12 but I could well have given my presentation popularity
(as I flatter myself) if all I had wanted to do was to sketch a plan and
to commend its execution to others, and had I not taken to heart the
well-being of the science that kept me occupied for so long; for after all it
requires great perseverance and also indeed not a little self-denial to set
aside the enticement of an earlier, favorable reception for the expectation
of an admittedly later, but lasting approval."
>>
>>7783724
Agreed. I'm 21 and I don't recognize a single person from that picture.
Usually the 'I'm 16 and my taste is superior' things are filled with pewdiepie and a bunch of other shitty youtubers and memes
>>
>>7784921

You must not live in the city then
>>
>>7785019
wrong
>>
>>7785021

Shit, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. Stay pleb then.
>>
>>7784254

> Kant should have been shot for his writing style if he weren't so brilliant.

This tbhfaм
>>
>>7784254
>>7785052
Kant calls his own writing style out as dry and shit in the Prolegomena
he wrote like that for a reason though
>>
>>7783724
Nice anecdote, idk where you guys grew up but I went to John Marshall High in LA and all of my friends knew they wanted to be film majors and loved Fassbinder, Cassavetes, Bergman, etc by 14
>>
File: Werner_herzog_portrait.jpg (1 MB, 3615x2411) Image search: [Google]
Werner_herzog_portrait.jpg
1 MB, 3615x2411
you forgot somebody
>>
there's a pretty funny "hack writer starter pack" somewhere out there. i dont have a copy saved but I'd say it's our equivalent

requesting hack writer starter pack picture
>>
File: Asskantian.jpg (37 KB, 556x350) Image search: [Google]
Asskantian.jpg
37 KB, 556x350
>>7785071
>he wrote like that for a reason though
and we all know what that reason was
>>
>>7784891
>>7784902
>>7785052
>>7785071
>ywn be friends with kant
>>
Fitzgerald
>>
>>7783052
Nietzsche, Marx, Sartre
>>
>>7783344

He's absolutely right in saying stories are for booksshops and if you watch for plot you're a pleb.

Malick and Tarkovsky got it right, there's things in cinema that cannot be done in books, filmmakers should focus on those things instead of making film equivalents of genre fiction
>>
>>7783052
How the fuck is Tarantino not in that pic OP?
>>
>>7786043
because those are actually good directors. it's just a buttblasted /tv/ user
>>
>>7783052
If this were serious it would have Tarantino and low brow shite. The book version would have Vonnegut, Camus and anyone else pushed on r/books.
>>
>>7785516
I don't think OP considers those directors hacks so much as they're typical the starting auteur directors that any budding film nerd learns to obsess over before moving on to (hopefully) develop their own tastes.
>>
>>7786412

But they're genuinely not. They're genuinely great directors.
>>
>>7783052

Is there anything that is safe from being labeled as 'meme', 'entry level', or 'reddit' these days that is remotely well-known? Music, film, or otherwise. I would like just one example.

>>7785075

So did I. I still like them though and I'm 25. Whenever I see charts like this for stuff that is 'entry level' or supposedly 'entry level' (music, film, lit, etc) I always wonder what the creator of the chart is trying to say. Are they implying that they graduated from liking these directors to liking better alternatives? No alternatives are ever provided.

>>7784219

Ozu is my favorite director as well. I had a guy on /tv/ recently tell me that I was 16 and should 'fuck off to reddit' for starting an Ozu thread and that Ozu wasn't even top 5 post-war Japanese directors. I made him list his top 5 and they were literally all anime directors... I'm starting to believe that the creators of these images actually have pleb taste and lash out whenever they lack the patience or intellect to appreciate something.
>>
>>7786841
>I'm starting to believe that the creators of these images actually have pleb taste and lash out whenever they lack the patience or intellect to appreciate something

The person who made that specific OP image is a /tv/ pleb and an Inarritu fanboy. It's not meant to be ironic, it's sincere, but nonetheless it's a joke of which you really won't be able to understand the mechanics of unless you spend more time than is necessary browsing the television pleb board
>>
File: 1456555271282.png (78 KB, 399x240) Image search: [Google]
1456555271282.png
78 KB, 399x240
>>7786021
>you can't read for plot, action is portrayed more efficiently through visuals! film is for something else, go read a book if you want plot!
>you can't watch for plot, story is portrayed more efficiently through language! literature is for something else, go watch a movte if you want plot!
I DON'T UNDERSTAND
>>
>>7786297
>good directors
>bela tarr
pick uno
>>
>>7786412

Nobody really gives two shits about Benning.

Not even in the most pretentious film schools.
>>
>>7786841

tv is literally the worst board to discuss film.
>>
>>7786971
What's wrong with Tarr?
>>
File: andres-riendo.jpg (38 KB, 585x420) Image search: [Google]
andres-riendo.jpg
38 KB, 585x420
>>7786021

>malick got it right
>>
James Joyce, Vladimir Nabokov, Thomas Pynchon, William Faulkner, and Walt Whitman
>>
>>7786981

Im sorry, I meant Michael Bay.

That aside, Tarr has about two good films, right¿
>>
>>7784416
>what's wrong with nu metal
>>
>2016
>hating Greenaway

er what?
>>
>>7787001

I know.

It was cool to hate him back in the 90s, but in 2016?
>>
>>7786955
What do you fail to see? Narrative is the lowest form of any art.
>>
>>7787001
I love some of Greenaway's films but that interview video is horrific, I can't tell if he's just trolling or he's serious
>>
>>7787010
Eschewing narrative doesn't necessitate turning cinema into a videogame / DJ experience, which is what Greenaway seems to be trying to do in the interview

>"what the fuck are you doing sitting the dark, man is not a nocturnal creature"
>"the remote control was the death of cinema, so let's accelerate the decomposition of the rotting body by turning cinema into an interactive text adventure"

Is he just meming or what
>>
>>7787010
Why?
>>
>>7783062
>neecha
What have you read of his?
>>
>>7787017
I don't care who Greenaway is or what he has to say. I'm addressing the pleb condition.
>>
At 16?
The Stranger
Clockwork Orange
Demian
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Less Than Zero
Fight Club
>>
>>7787017
film is no longer cutting edge is what he means, and he wants to create art for the modern viewer who was raised on choice driven TV who watched from comfort of their own homes instead of sitting in a big dark room. he is abandoning conventional film
>>
>>7787011
Which vid is this? Greenaway is a sublime bullshitter in interviews. You can see the mischief in his eyes.
>>
>>7787020
Narratives don't have the artistic potential of aesthetic experimentation. Narratives are for making sense of the world. We do not need to make sense of worlds which do not exist. Narrative is for non-fiction. (and documentary film) Fiction literature is for aesthetics. (as is fiction film)
>>
>>7787031

here
>>7783344

the music they added makes it even more hilarious
>>
>>7787017
A Zed & Two Noughts vidya when? I could see it as an FPS where you shoot the zebras because you hate the stripes.
>>
>>7787041
gway films should play like MYST
>>
>>7787028
That sounds like a fucking shit idea

>>7787031
It's the first Greenaway interview I've seen so I had no idea he was a ruseman in interviews
>>
>>7787039
>2016
>not knowing that we are entering the age of the imagemakers

You're going to be left by the wayside anon
>>
>>7787037
Narrative in a film can still be intertwined with and contribute to the aesthetics. This isn't to say it's all-important; narrative films are to experimental films as genre fiction is to literature. But dismissing a film because it has some kind of narrative is goofy.
>>
>>7787050
I didn't, but narrative for narrative's sake is not the point. Narrative is a key element of crafting an aesthetic, as is music, but a film created for music's sake is not a true film.
>>
>>7787037
And what makes aesthetic experimentation incapable of being done through narrative? And what makes sense-making purely practical?
>>
>>7787026
This is perfect.

Rest of thread is faggotry of the highest order
>>
>>7787053
>narrative for narrative's sake is not the point
Nobody implied it was.
>>
>>7787059
1) It can be achieved through narrative.
2) Narrative is only 'sense making' in regards to trying to establish an order of cause and effect between events. Any good work of art has some interior 'sense', it does not have to be narrative.
>>
>>7787067
Then what you mean to say is that narrative isn't a necessity of fiction?
>>
>>7786327
>Vonnegut
seconded
>>
>>7786894
wait, did they stop talking about having sex with disney starlets and star wars at some point in the past 2 years? do they actually discuss film now?
>>
>>7783052
Kurt Vonnegut
George Orwell
Harper Lee
Isaac Asimov
Ray Bradbury
Anthony Burgess
William Golding
Philip K. Dick
Stephen King
Chuck Palahniuk
H.P Lovecraft
John Steinbeck
Jack Kerouac
Charles Bukowski
Ernest Hemingway
Hermann Hesse
Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Haruki Murakami
Milan Kundera
Ayn Rand
Meme pop scientist divulgators
>>
>>7783052

When I was that age I liked Dreyer, Deren, and Wilder. Is that cringe too?
>>
>>7786984
>andres-riendo
>andres
Mátate.
>>
>>7787204

None of those are cringe at any age...

Dreyer in particular is always popping up on critic polls. If people who devote their lives to film criticism think he's one of the best, I don't really see how someone could make a case that it is 'cringey' to like him.
>>
>>7787026
>The Stranger
>Clockwork Orange
>Demian
>One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
>Less Than Zero
>Fight Club

Add Slaughterhouse-5 and we'll lock it in.
>>
>>7787026
>tfw didn't get into Hesse until I was like 20
Does this make me a fag?
>>
>>7786984
haha oh boy
>>
>>7787179
>did they stop talking about having sex with disney starlets and star wars at some point in the past 2 years? do they actually discuss film now?

no, not really
>>
>>7786984
The Tree of Life is one of my favorite films. Malick is a spectacular writer.
>>
>>7786955
just don't 'for plot' anything man
>>
>>7787064
that's entirely what the 'for plot' meme means though-- for its own sake, and, as probably would have it, little else.
>>
>>7787053
>A film created for music's sake isn't a true film.
Pabst, Bernstein, etc. Created films to showcase music. That could be the point at times.
>>
>>7787187
are Steinbeck and Hemingway really meme-authors?
>>
>>7786984
Andrés Tarcóvquez
>>
>>7787932
Not really. The thing is that they are in that list because of the "I've read their stuff so now I'm a literated person". They are great as authors (most of what >>7787187 cited), but they are in the "meme" list because they are often used as a badge for what OP said.
>>
>>7787932

Or Marquez for that matter.
>>
>>7784416
>whats wrong with nu metal
>>
>>7783724
Davis Fincher is a pretty solid director. Fight Club isn't great, but it's again pretty solid.

every Tarr film is like James Joyce, so that one's obvious.
>>
>>7785965
nah high schoolers think Fitzgerald is a shitty writer whose books aren't as good as what they read.
>>
>>7787932
>>7787988
I just posted them because people who have read only a few books besides their high school recommended readings consider themselves literate after reading one or two of them. That doesn't mean they're bad writers at all! It's not about if they're good or bad but whether they fit the taste of beginners who have yet to stretch their still a bit narrow minds. >>7787987 explained it well.
To establish a comparison, it'd be like including The Godfather in a similar list with films; sure, it's good, but the 16 year old kid "my taste in film is superior" would also love it, right? Being accessible or in the top 100 imdb won't make it bad per se just because "plebs like it".
>>
What would the Tarkovsky equivalent be?
>>
>>7789094
Proust?
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.