[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDTOT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: QTDDTOT.png (28 KB, 541x464) Image search: [Google]
QTDDTOT.png
28 KB, 541x464
QTDDTOT

Am I the only one that absolutely can't focus on audio books?
>>
>>7781596
I have to increase the playback speed or miss about 50% of the content.
>>
Yes you are the only one in the entire world who absolutely can't focus on audio books
>>
>>7781596

>>>/reddit/
>>
What do you Kindle users have as font settings? I use the second smallest with Bookerly and am even considering going to the smallest. That or using the very left 'spacing'.
>>
Give me some well-written Westerns. I read The Son by Philipp Meyer recently and was quite impressed.

Pls no McCarthy.
>>
I like audiobooks, but I can't listen to anything with any real literary merit. If I lose focus for just a few seconds, or even just try to pause and take something in, then I'm already behind the flow of the narrator and have to rewind to appreciate the prose properly. It's just impossible for me to properly enjoy a good piece of literature like that. So when I listen to audiobooks I prefer things like A Song of Ice and Fire - escapist books with good plots and characters, but no real literary value.
>>
File: 1456636970618.png (16 KB, 958x660) Image search: [Google]
1456636970618.png
16 KB, 958x660
I'm writing an article analysis essay and I'm having a hard time not beginning every sentence in the summary with "she".

For example:
"Faruqi begins her article with personal stories in order to draw the readers interest. She tries to appeal to the emotions of the reader by describing the horrible living conditions of the animals she saw in factory farms. She talks about her travels to animal farms across the world and the conversations she had with the workers, owners, and executives of the farms. She mentions the unequal representation of women in the agriculture industry, speaking of her own experiences and referencing statistics. She believes that this gender inequality plays an important role in how the industry operates."

Any tips on how I could word it better?
>>
>>7782622
Just something like:

>"Faruqi begins her article with personal stories in order to draw the readers interest. She tries to appeal to the emotions of the reader by describing the horrible living conditions of the animals she saw in factory farms. The author writes about her travels to animal farms across the world and the conversations she had with the workers, owners, and executives of the farms. The article touches on the unequal representation of women in the agriculture industry, with reference to Faruqi's own experiences and statistical evidence. She believes that this gender inequality plays an important role in how the industry operates."
>>
>>7781889
Lonesome dove
>>
I like trains, do you know any fiction about trains or that takes place predominantly on trains?
>>
>>7784427
denis johnson, agatha christie.
>>
>>7781889
Butcher's Crossing
>>
>>7781889
what westerns is melissa mccarthy in
>>
where can I find a vook called "the man who loved dogs"? by Leonardo Padura
>>
How does one take notes while reading fiction? Also, when reading Pynchon, should I read the entire book through once, then read it again while closely inspecting?
>>
Is it normal to read Ulysses and not being exactly sure of what's actually happening? Sometimes I get so distracted by the prose I get lost of what's going on.
>>
>>7785050
just finish the chapter and re read again later
>>
I enjoyed the Wolf Brother series as a lad, is there an non-junior fiction equivalent?
>>
Are proper names rigid designators?
>>
le bumpington
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.