[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why can't anyone adapt McCarthy well in film? Franco flopped,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: OrchardKeeper.jpg (14 KB, 210x350) Image search: [Google]
OrchardKeeper.jpg
14 KB, 210x350
Why can't anyone adapt McCarthy well in film? Franco flopped, the Road was just okay and No Country was good but I didn't feel it was good enough.

Now they are talking about, or have been forever, about a BM movie.

No one wants to do NC 17, but that's what you need for McCarthy
>>
>>7781340
Because you can't film prose, despite what cinematographers might say
>>
I don't see why people like the idea of turning everything into a film. Why would you need anything more than a novel?
>>
>>7781377
This, a lot of the appeal of the book was his strange way of describing things.
>>
>>7781377
what if you just have someone narrating the story over the film?
>>
>>7781340
Nice picture of Marco "Foam Party" Rubio you've got there OP.
>>
>>7781377
yes you can. take the book and then film its prose.

>film: 1
>prose retards: 0
>>
File: pretty horses.jpg (34 KB, 324x475) Image search: [Google]
pretty horses.jpg
34 KB, 324x475
>>7781340
There's this one too, which seems to be completely forgotten.
>>
>>7781400
you cant narrate his prose it would sound awful spoken
>>
>>7782623
I'm gonna watch that tonight now.
>>
>>7781377
You can't turn film into a perfect prose translation either. They're different things and adaptations don't pretend otherwise. Doesn't mean you can't capture the essence in either medium.
>>
>>7781340
>>7781340
there is no point to making film versions of any of his books.
>>
>>7781340
>Why can't anyone adapt McCarthy well in film?
>the Road was just okay and No Country was good
2/3 aint bad OP
sure they could be better but so could a lot of things
>>
>>7781340
Huge problems with funding, if one wants to stay true to the gore.
It's so weird, i feel, because people do enjoy violent movies.
>>
>>7781379
This.

But I think it's more the fact that hollywood doesn't have any ideas. like 90% of films are based on other shit. The best films 'based' on books are ones that go in a completely different diirection to the book.
>>
>>7783400
Mccarthy's appeal isn't in the violence, it's in the ritualistic, rhythmic way that things like the violence build up around events. The Road felt like it was written for the screen, but the father's sickness builds in a similar way, and it's exceedingly difficult to film.
>>
>>7783414
I didn't say violence was the appeal, i said it was the reason for it not being funded.
>>
>>7781340
Why doesn't anyone want to do NC 17? Is it because must movie goers are under 17 and they'd lose a big chunk of the market or something? Aren't there enough adults who would more than make up for the lost teen revenue? Wouldn't in fact the NC 17 label even attract 17+ people exactly because kids can't see it so it must be really good, you know, the 'forbidden fruit' factor? I'm a non westerner who doesn't know much about how the entertainment industry works.
>>
>>7781377
So true
>>
File: bloom.jpg (26 KB, 300x424) Image search: [Google]
bloom.jpg
26 KB, 300x424
>>7781377
True. We all remember this monstrosity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjL6ICrXrJQ
>>
>>7783801
Wow. I had no idea this existed.
>>
>>7783786
Many, if not most, theaters won't screen nc 17 films.
>>
>>7781377
Film and literature speak different languages but you can still communicate the same things.
>>
>>7781340
No Country was objectively better than the book
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.