[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reading speed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: speedingngng.jpg (5 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
speedingngng.jpg
5 KB, 275x183
How fast does /lit/ read? Any tricks in improving that rapidness?
Thoughts on fast vs. slow? Do you think is bullshit? Go Go gO!
>>
400k words a day
>>
>>7781248
About 500 wpm is my average speed with decent comprehension. I can speed read but I don't find it enjoyable.

You read faster by practicing reading.
>>
How do you measure Reading speed?
>>
Aren't books meant to be read at a speed that's in some proportion to the way they were written? The author puts in effort and time into his writing, and you just glaze over the text because you've been conditioned that speed is good. That's wrong, I think.
>>
Here's an opinion you don't see on here often:

It doesn't matter. As long as you make up for whatever you lack in speed in the amount of time you spend reading, there shouldn't be an issue. Just read a lot, have a good time. Don't spend a month reading a 300 page book. That sort of thing
>>
Literature isn't supposed to be taking in as much information as you can as quick as you can
>>
What's important is the experience of reading, not the speed at which you do it.

Actual speed readers are gifted individuals, it's not for everyone. You'll likely be stuck between 250-500 WPm your entire life
>>
>>7781509
>>7781365
>>7781361
Wew, lel, literally the same thing in a series of three posts. At least it's not retarded like OP's post.
>>
>>7781329
in words per minute.
>>
>>7781361
literally the most common opinion here
>>
3 min per page. fml
>>
4 min per page
>>
>>7782220
>>7782212
>Tfw used to read pages in half a minute
>>
If you are reading this post, you have been cursed: you must read the following post in less than 15 seconds or your whole family and friends, and your pet cat, will die in an awful fire tomorrow:
>>
>>7781248
5 give or take 1 page per hour.
Of my physics textbook.
>>
Between 400 and 1200wpm depending on how hung over I am and the density of the text.
>>
about 1000-1200wpm, i chalk it up to reading a lot as a kid
>>
>>7781248
600 wpm regularly. Speed reading 1300.
>>
File: 1450501971972.jpg (8 KB, 178x288) Image search: [Google]
1450501971972.jpg
8 KB, 178x288
3 min per page, 2 min at best.
>>
usually like a good minute and a half per page >.<
>>
The book I'm reading is like 150 pages and one of the back quotes is, "A perfect book that can be read in one sitting"

Fuck you it's going to take me like 5 ; ; how do people read so much in one sitting
>>
Due to being partially visually impaired my reading speed is about 30 pages per hour. Used to be a bit better, like 40-50 pages per hour.
>>
>>7781248
I don't know how many words per minute, but I can finish a 400 page book in one sitting (assuming i have free time of course).
I never understood how people took weeks or months to finish a book. Even if it's a big as fuck book or one that requires you to stop and think about what you read or search for words there is no way you can't finish a book in some 3 days
>>
I read about 50-100 pages a day, not that that says anything.

I can read a Philip K Dick book cover to cover in 4 hours.
>>
holy fuck that book is intense
>>
Jesus Christ /lit/ I'm an awful reader

200wpm

will improvement come with time? Mind you I've only been actively reading for about seven months.
>>
>>7781329
meters per second
>>
>>7781248
very dependent on the book. pynchon, joyce or a non fiction (e.g. steve pinker) is fairly slow. dh lawrence or hemingway is obviously a lot quicker due to lighter prose
>>
I'm finishing up the count of monte cristo, it takes me 1-2 hrs to finish 75 nook pages.
>>
I was able to read Dr. Seuss to mum at age 3, and have always had good reading comprehension, not afflicted by dyslexia or other related maladies, etc. Even started reading before the distraction of the internet.

However, I've realized I'm a fairly slow reader. some test that was on here earlier pegged me at late-middle-school-high-school tier in terms of speed. Meanwhile CEOs and professors were according to the "after" results, linearly faster (they have to be, I suppose).
>>
>>7781329
There's an app for that
>>
It highly depends on the book. Novels, fantasy, fiction is very fast, but history and philosophy I take more time because I go back sometimes.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.