[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would he think of the Situationist movement? In particular,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 23-thomas-pynchon.w190.h190.2x.jpg (11 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
23-thomas-pynchon.w190.h190.2x.jpg
11 KB, 380x380
What would he think of the Situationist movement? In particular, his expression "Keep cool, but care."
>>
>>7780099
'I want attention but while exerting little effort.'
>>
>situationist
i think it had nothing to do with Pynchon

>In particular, his expression "Keep cool, but care."
that's not 'his expression', that's a quote from v. 'said' by a test dummy on how not to fall into inanimacy. i also fail to see what you think it has to do with situationism

bad thread all around. try reading more.
>>
>>7780149
No, I think the quote applies to Pynchon's stance on post-WWII and post-1960s life in general, especially with regards to conspiracy.

Although it's a quote from a character, if you don't think it's a huge theme in all of Pynchon, you simply haven't read enough Pynchon.
>>
>>7780162
>>7780149

This is why I hate literature-cucks.

"nuh ugh! this is what he meant!"

"NUH UGH! THIS IS WHAT HE MEAN!!"

Fuck you, he probably didn't mean a fucking thing. The sky was fucking blue big goddamn whoop. It doesn't fucking mean anything.
>>
>>7780205
*tips*
>>
>>7780205
> Look away! Who cares? Just shut up!

How much per post?
>>
>>7780162
>I think the quote applies to Pynchon's stance on post-WWII and post-1960s life in general

You have no idea about Pynchon's stance, you've never met him, you've never talked to him. Stop assuming you know him from what you've read.
>>
>>7780294
how much per post?
>>
>>7780149
> only writer in the 20th century to completely shun media presence
> it has NOTHING to do with situationism
>>
>>7780205
>>>/tv/
>>
>>7780162
pynchon's "stance" was that of a fascist in college and a new york liberal from the 70s on
>>
>>7781969
Source on Pynchon being a fascist in college? Never heard that before, genuinely interested.
>>
A person influenced by the Situationist movement would go to a lecture by Jacques Lacan and disrupt it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aqGYYBwKbQ
>>
>>7780099
What do you know about Situationists, anyway? Why would he care?
>>
"Pynchon attended Oyster Bay High School in Oyster Bay, where he was awarded "student of the year" and contributed short fictional pieces to his school newspaper. These juvenilia incorporated some of the literary motifs and recurring subject matter he would use throughout his career: oddball names, sophomoric humor, illicit drug use, and paranoia."

Are these writings available to read?
>>
File: j.jpg (4 KB, 228x221) Image search: [Google]
j.jpg
4 KB, 228x221
>>7782008

>Oyster Bay
>>
>>7781977
he says it in slow learner, i think he mentions it in the richard farina biography
1950's america man, that's not exactly a radical idea for the time
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.