[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The only Book you'll ever need eternally. Christ will soon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 175
Thread images: 9
File: holy-bible-kjv.jpg (13 KB, 458x250) Image search: [Google]
holy-bible-kjv.jpg
13 KB, 458x250
Jesus Christ says in Matthew 24:35:

"35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away."

And furthermore He says in the following veres:
"
36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

37 But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,

39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

40 Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

41 Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.

43 But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.

44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh."
I have been studying Philoshopy and English Literature in university for almost 7 years now and I can tell you: save your time, lay aside all the rubbish this world has to offer and read the Word of the Living God, Jesus Christ, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. The Great I AM, who has created all things, including your soul, spirit and body.

Death is not the end.
There is no time. There are only clocks. Time is an illusion.
We are eternal beings who were created for the communion with our almighty creator God.

Philosophers may rationalize and positivize God away as much as they like. It won't change the fact that HE exists. YHWH means "I AM THAT I AM".
He just IS. He is a fact no one can change.
Christ laughs at those who mock him and will soon return and create righteousness and justice as this world has never seen before.

Are you ready?

Repent of your sins and believe in Jesus Christ and you will be saved for all eternity.
Otherwise you will have no chance to get rid of your sins and enter the eternal Kingdom of God Almighty.
>>
I read it for the literary value. Not for this.
>>
>>7780000
gay
>>
>>7780003
Well, it does not only has a literary value.
But a value on a personal and moral and finally eternal level. It is more real than any other book you'll encounter.

Plus, Christ is not just a nice, invented figure. He is real and he is the Almighty God.

He ain't joking around when he talks about eternal punishment in Hell, etc.

Do people really think he let himself nail to the cross, being blameless, because he had nothing better to do?
>>
>>7780006
Where are your arguments? I can't see them.

If you're burning in hell begging for mercy the only thing God will tell you is: "gay".

God is not mocked. Be aware of that.
Thou reapest what thou sowest.
>>
>>7780008
But wasn't the Bible originally written in Hebrew? How can I be sure that this English version is correct?
>>
I want to read bible for gettin references
but i dont know how to start
op could you give me some plan, like portion per day which allow me to read bible in year?
>>
>>7780000
>christ will soon return

>of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only

How do you know lol
>>
>>7780008
How do you know that everything in the bible is factual? Many parts were written centuries after the events described. How did the people who compiled the bible separate the factual works from the fanfiction?
>>
>>7780018
4 chapters per day
>>
>>7780017
The Old Testament was written in ancient Hebrew. The New Testament was written in Ancient Greek (Koine Greek).

I've looked a lot into Bible translations end the KJV has proofed to be most loyal to the original texts.
If you want the answers. You'll find them.

God says that whosoever honestly searches for him: He will let himself be found.
>>
>>7780018
Sure. I'm off to dinner now. I'll post a reading plan for you later.
>>
>"How do you know God exists?"
>"He just DOES"

....riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

Qu'ran is a better read imo
>>
>>7780043

The Qu'ran reads like the ramblings of a schizophrenic madman.
>>
>>7780019
Protestants get special knowledge of theological subjects by divine inspiration.
>>
>>7780051
which is why it's better
>>
>>7780000
Personally if I were God there would be no suffering, but that's just me.
>>
>"I AM THAT I AM".
isn't that from Popeye?
>>
>>7780068
no suffering is the same as all suffering
>>
>>7780018
Here's a nice link with a variety of approaches for a reading plan.
You may choose one that fits you best:

http://www.biblestudytools.com/blogs/inside-bst/bible-reading-plans-for-2015.html

If you have other questions, I'll gladly help you out!
>>
>>7780068
Well, he told us everything we need to know to establish a peaceful world.

If people would keep God's commandments there would be no suffering. But they don't want to. The problem is us, not God.
>>
>>7780019
Have I stated that I knew "day and hour"? No.

The Bible has LOADS of prophecy concerning the end times, i.e. the return of Christ.

Thus, the Bible wants us to have a "rough" time frame about Christ's return.

I've studied all the major and minor prophets of the Old Testament plus the Revelation of John of course.
Bible prophecy is being fulfilled right before our eyes if you have a profound knowledge of prophecy combined with recent world politics, it's not that hard to state that he will very soon return.
>>
>>7780136
>it's not that hard to state that he will very soon return
Christ doesn't know but you do good job biblical scholar
>>
>>7780008
If Christ is so loving, how does he sleep at night knowing there are souls suffering for all eternity?
>>
>>7780146
He knows.
You have to understand and realize that two things happened when he became flesh:

1. He willingly has laid aside his godly "form" and humiliated himself into the form of his own creation
Philipans 2:6-8
"6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross."

2. Therefore Christ was for the short amount of time of a lower position (simultaneously being still God himself):
Hebrews 2:7:
"7 Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands:"

Thus, Jesus "the SON OF MAN" (in his human form) did not know.
But he is now glorified and in his original form again, at the right side of the Father.
Thus, he knows. Since he is equally God Almighty as the Father.
>>
>>7780123
Is God capable of doing anything he desires? If so, why doesn't he make it so that there's no evil in this world?
>>
>>7780155
1. He doesn't sleep.
2. He has died and bled, suffered for our sins on the cross, and enabled us total forgiveness and eternal life by his saving GRACE only!

What can God do more than to die for his own creation?
If someone rejects his gift of grace, there is no other possibility, because it is the ONLY possibility of being saved. Otherwise Christ wouldn't have died blamelessly for sinners on the cross.

He will put all wicked men delightfully into the eternal flames, because his perfect justice will finally come to pass.

However, he wants that sinners turn away from their evil ways and repent and have eternal life. That's what John 3:16 perfectly states.
>>
>>7780169
Well, he will. When he returns.
He wants everyone to have a choice, which is why he is waiting for his judgement. As he did with Sodom, etc.

But you can be sure, evil will come to an end and all the oppressors of this world will be brutally crushed by him. He will have no mercy on his enemies.
>>
>>7780043
Quran better? If you're into lying, deception, murdering, etc. it may be "better" for you. It's because it's written by Satan himself.
>>
>>7780000
Fake and gay.
>>
>>7780215
Nahh. Real and heterosexual.

Let's see who will be right in the end:
Anon or God Almighty?
Guess who?
>>
>>7780233
I don know man. You tell me
>>
>>7780000
Guys I have a question.
Is this a troll or is this how protestants actually think?
>>
>>7780000
>Christ will soon return
This is up there with "the fall of capitalism is imminent".
>>
>>7780233
>Nahh. Real and heterosexual
Chrisposters everyone.
>>
>>7780242
Read the Bible and you'll know.
>>7780246
I am not a protestant. I don't belong to any church or denomination.

I am a disciple of Jesus Christ. That's it.
And that's how it's supposed to be,

There is no church that is going to save you:
Roman Catholic - NOPE
Protestant - NOPE
Mormons - NOPE
Jehovas False Witnesses - NOPE
etc.

These are all sects.

I got liberated of all man-made shackles.

Churches and sects dont preach the REAL Jesus Christ of the Bible.

The real Jesus Christ is pure freedom!

John 8:32-33:

"31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;

32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."
>>
>>7780250
The only difference being: if you follow God's word you don't end up getting yourself thrown in a lake of fire. Eternally.

Hell won't be comfy, and it won't be a party.
That I'll promise you.
>>
>>7780270
>I am not a protestant. I don't belong to any church or denomination.
Ok so protestant
>>7780259
Nah, just your average Baptist or Calvinist
>>
>>7780270
i read it and i still don't know
>>
>>7780284
Nope. I am not a member in any church.
I just searched for God all my life, read the Bible without prejudices and presuppositions, and he revealed himself to me.

Yes I am a "baptist" in the sense, that baptism is biblical. Jesus was a role model for this since he let himself be baptized.

Yes I support Calvin's teachings because they are scriptural.

Calvinism is one of the most misunderstood teachings of human history.
Most don't know what Calvin was talking about because of two things:
1. they don't know the Bible
2. thus, they don't know God's thinking
>>
>>7780303
It takes a very specific approach for attaining "spiritual enlightenment". And it's not reading the Bible, especially if you are into philosophy. It's reached through prayer, meditation and sacramental life as well as reading mystics, philosophers and theologians.
>>
>>7780303
Then go on reading. Even if you have do read it a 1000 times. It's not your average novel.
It can take time, yes. But it's worth your while.

What exactly is it that you don't know? If God exists?
>>
>>7780308
>Nope. I am not a member in any church.
That's what a lot of protestants say.
>Yes I support Calvin's teachings because they are scriptural.
No, you support Calvin because you are either an idiot or a bait
>>
>>7780311
but op said only have to read the bible! I resad it and I still do not understand. OP Im scared I don't want to go to hell\

why i cannot understand the bible? am I a devil?>>7780308
>>
>>7780311
Been there. Meditation, Philosophy, Mysticism, Hallucinogens. It's all: crap! Lies of Satan.
Everything outside of the Bible is romantic, sensualistic nonsense.
I've experienced many astral journey's and have been a professing satanist who has studies occultism, sorcery, etc.

Philosophers and Theologians don't know anything.

My teacher is Christ. You won't find a better teacher than God himself.
>>
>>7780000
Nice b8 with Qua4s.
>>
>>7780316
Then tell me what is there to reject about Predestination and Salvation by grace only?
I love those kind of people who just give statements without arguments.

>>7780323
You cannot understand it because you don't have the Holy Spirit. God reveals and opens up scripture if you are willing to be born-again in Christ.
Repentance + Faith in Christ.

If you're not willing to change your life according to God's views, you'll be in the dark about the Bible forever.
>>
>>7780332
no i do not understand anything

i dont understand what is christ for example

op you said you are a satanist? are you sure you have authority on the bible?
>>
>>7780329
No b8 buddy.
I'm dead serious.

I just want people to be saved. That's all.
>>
>>7780343
Scripture, Word of God, Word, etc. = The Bible.

I said I "HAVE BEEN" a Satanist.
Well, that is obviously past.

And yes I have authority on the Bible.
>>
>>7780351
Why you have been a satanist?

you believe in a devil?
>>
>>7780332
I honestly don't want to throw pearls before pigs.
>>7780343
He doesn't have authority over it. If you are interested you can certainly find something better than a maniacal protestant on 4chan.
There's a plethora of literature devoted to religious subjects.
>>
>>7780356
Because I have been searching for the supernatural things. I wanted to know it angels, demons, Satan etc.

I do not believe IN the devil, I do obviously only belive in Jesus Christ.
But I KNOW that Satan is real.
>>
>>7780364
*if angels(...) are real*
>>
Even as a Christian reading this, I felt that shot of cringe up my spine, knowing how this is annoying as fuck. Seriously, dude, this is not how you go about spreading The Word. Besides, the whole book of Revelation had already happened. It's not the end of the world or anything. 666 was a code for Caesar Nero, the beast who, to Christians, was evil. And the whole theme of fire throughout hell? The burning of Rome.
>>
>>7780364
ah, ok.

but how do I know you are still not a devil?
>>
>>7780375
That is exactly how you go about spreading the word.
You need to tell people about both: God's love and mercy and his judgement and wrath.
That's what Jesus himself did all the time.

You don't seem to have any clue about the Revelation, sorry.
Where is the Millenium, please?
And where is the Great Tribulation?
Where is the Rapture?
Revelation has already happened?
I didn't. It will very soon.

And no 666 is not Cesar, but a hint at Islam and cashless society. Go into the original greek text and read the verses...slowly!

And about hell neither. Hell is a literal eternal fire. Study the word on it and you'll know.
And please stop spreading lies of the churches.
It's one of Satan's biggest lies, that hell is not eternal and that it is not a literal fire.
>>
>>7780380
Because someone who believes in Jesus Christ can impossible be a devil at the same time, because he child of God.
>>
Do you even Christian, bro?

>Death is not the end.

False, in Christianity, death is the end.

>There is no time.

Yeah, like, everyone knows this. Time isn't a thing. At least, not linearly.

>Christ laughs at those who mock him and will soon return and create righteousness and justice as this world has never seen before.

Uh, pretty sure you don't grasp the concept of the word, "soon". Besides, Jesus is chill, he takes roasts day and night.

>Repent of your sins and believe in Jesus Christ and you will be saved for all eternity.

I'll follow your weird sense of Christianity and continue your statement with the word, "sins" even though it's stupid to say it. Repent of which sins? I haven't done anything morally wrong, at least not in relative morality's sense.

>Otherwise you will have no chance to get rid of your sins and enter the eternal Kingdom of God Almighty.

One cannot get rid of sins, in a Christian sense. And to say "sins" itself is moronic. Sin is not something quantifiable. It is the manifestation of human's misuse of free will against the relative morality we all hold, represented by the Holy Spirit.

>muh Bible
>>
>>7780397
but my friend said he believes in jesus christ but he is a muslim. so he is a devil

op I dson't think you understand the bible im sorry
>>
>>7780394
>Where is the Rapture?
>Islam and cashless society
These are the only even slightly funny things you've written in this thread. I'm sure you think you're a master baiter but you're really just a wanker.
>>
>>7780397
>Because someone who believes in Jesus Christ can impossible be a devil at the same time

First off, English, use it.

Second off, do you even grasp Christianity? There is no, "a devil". There's only one devil, and that's the one who was a manifestation of pure free will. If anything, the devil would be friends with Jesus Christ, seeing how both of them strive for liberalism.
>>
>>7780403
1. Nope, even in Christanity death is not the end.
There is no end. Because there was never a beginning. God is eternal. He has always existed is going to exist forever. Same goes for all souls.
Haven't you heard about Heaven & Hell? How can death be the end then? It's just the beginning!

2. Jesus is chill, yes. But the chillness will end very "soon" (if you want an absolute number: 10-20 maximum)
Isaiah 34:4-8:
"4 And all the host of heaven shall be dissolved, and the heavens shall be rolled together as a scroll: and all their host shall fall down, as the leaf falleth off from the vine, and as a falling fig from the fig tree.
5 For my sword shall be bathed in heaven: behold, it shall come down upon Idumea, and upon the people of my curse, to judgment.
6 The sword of the Lord is filled with blood, it is made fat with fatness, and with the blood of lambs and goats, with the fat of the kidneys of rams: for the Lord hath a sacrifice in Bozrah, and a great slaughter in the land of Idumea.
7 And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness.
8 For it is the day of the Lord's vengeance, and the year of recompences for the controversy of Zion."
Does that sound chill to you?

3. Sins = what God defines as sin in the Bible

4. You can get rid of your sins if you repent and believe in Jesus Christ, he will forgive you ANYTHING you have ever sinned against God.
I mean, giving us the possiblity to get rid of our sins was one of the primary aspects of Christ's plan on earth.

You don't have the Holy Spirit. You'll receive if if you accept and believe in Christ as your Lord and Saviour.
>>
>>7780413
if there was one devil we could have killed him

but we can't. the world is evil. this means there are many devils

op is a devil because he said that he was a satanist. only a devil can believe in satanism
>>
>>
>>7780394

>This is exactly how you go about spreading the word.

False, you spread The Word by reflecting the image of Christ, and then you teach people who follows you.

>Where is the Millennium?

Right now, actually, seeing that we're living in one of the most peaceful times in human history

>And where is the Great Tribulation?
>Where is the Rapture

This one I'm still theorizing about with theologists, so, bear with me. Besides, the concept of Rapture is so absurd it might as well have been the work of crazy conspiracy theorists tampering with the scripture.

>And no 666 is not Cesar, but hint at Islam and cashless society.

Dude, John wrote in Ancient Greek, but he had Hebrew ideas. In those times, they wrote numbers using letters. Obviously, he can't just say that Caesar Nero is evil, he had to code it. And the code was a bunch of numbers that when added accumulates to 666, but when read reads CAESAR NERO, or CAESAR NERON. We don't know which because the last part was torn.

>Hell is a literal eternal fire.

No, that depiction of hell was a lie added later on by the Catholic Church to help Pagans convert. In reality, after sinners die, they just die. They cease to exist.
>>
>>7780422

You cannot physically kill the devil. It's a concept, not a person.
>>
>>7780441
'm sorry but this is atheism. A devil is not a person but he is not a concept, because he is real and concepts are not real
>>
>basing all of your views on one book
>not having a view of the world based on a diverse st of books, that gets larger and larger, which should give you the impression that introspection is a task that never ceases

What an impoverished view of life you must have. You're probably an American creationist evangelical who 'refutes' evolution by asking 'durr if we dun came from monkees, why der still monkees?'
>>
>>7780456

>He thinks the bible is one book
>>
>>7780456
Since it's the Word of the Living God, nope it's not impoversihed.

I've read loads of philosophical and theological books.

Yes, I am a creationist (what a wonder). The earth is about 6,000 years old and not a globe.

You can keep swallowing the pills "science" sells you as truth or rather believe what God says.
>>
>>7780421

>Haven't you heard about Heaven & Hell?

Yes, Heaven is eternal life, and Hell is a lie. What "Hell" is is basically the discontinuation of existence. You just die.

>Does that sound chill to you?

Well, no, because it's poetry. That's completely impossible, and before you go rant about "muh omnipotence", omnipotence is a false concept, God has to conform to the physical rules he himself has set. And to add to that, that's the work of YHWH, not Logos.

>Sins = what God defines as sin in the Bible

Oh, where to begin... Look, I'll give you one phrase: relative morality. Enough said.

>You can get rid of your sins if you repent and believe in Jesus Christ,

No, that's not really it. You don't get rid of sin, you be free from it. It's still there, but it's there because you're human. Sin is the misuse of free will, and you can't get rid of it, because the flesh is weak. But, you can try and not reflect your sinfulness, so you can be a servant of Elohim.

>You don't have the Holy Spirit.

Tell me, do you? The Holy Spirit teaches you, through morals and logic, that's why it's often referred to as The Teacher.
>>
>>7780458

It's a limited set of books, that's all that matters. And your religion insists that you may not read anything beyond this limited set of books.

It's like living your life while learning only one language, and insisting that you never learn another language. Because that won't intellectually stunt you at all
>>
>>7780460
>not a globe
That's chocking to hear. What shape is it?
>>
File: Jesus Facepalm.jpg (61 KB, 900x599) Image search: [Google]
Jesus Facepalm.jpg
61 KB, 900x599
>>7780448

>this is atheism
>concepts are not real
>>
>>7780460
>I've read loads of philosophical and theological books.

Yes, and I bet they all had their conclusion set in advance, the height of intellectual poverty
>>
>>7780465
concepts are those things that are not real. saying that a devil represents free will is what atheists usually say.
they same the same thing about God.
but God does not represent
he is real
>>
>>7780462
>And your religion insists that you may not read anything beyond this limited set of books.

It does? That's news to me. Also what mean by limited set of books?
>>
File: jesusGun.jpg (46 KB, 340x421) Image search: [Google]
jesusGun.jpg
46 KB, 340x421
>>7780476
Jesus is always representing. Trust me I'm a pasty white guy I know all about being street
>>
>>7780476
Exactly.

They can't rationalize or spiritualize God away.
>>
>>7780511
>It does? That's news to me.

In that case, you should read your book again. It states very clearly that everything is aimed at verifying what the faithful have concluded in advance, and that anything that disputes this is an abomination. That to me is intellectual poverty in a nutshell. Being intellectually curious is in fact the exact opposite: it's actively going out into the world and trying to find as many different points of view as you possibly can

>Also what mean by limited set of books?

Any books that agree with your pre-set views.
>>
>>7780533

>all swans are white, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool
>>
>>7780536

>In that case, you should read your book again. It states very clearly that everything is aimed at verifying what the faithful have concluded in advance, and that anything that disputes this is an abomination. That to me is intellectual poverty in a nutshell. Being intellectually curious is in fact the exact opposite: it's actively going out into the world and trying to find as many different points of view as you possibly ca

Where does it say that?
>>
>>7780548

For one, your book declares anyone who doesn't agree with its main premise a "fool". That's pretty pathetic for a book that is supposed to give the deepest insight man will ever receive. It also constantly states that you must believe in him endlessly. Again, that to me is a sign of weakness, not of strength.

A sign of strength would be that it wouldn't matter whether I disbelieve in something or not for it to be true. For instance, it doesn't matter whether I disbelieve that the sky is blue, the sky remains blue regardless. If however I ignore God, the Bible, Jesus, etc., nothing really happens. Instead of direct consequences, we get empty threats about a lake of fire, despite the fact that the reward for belief in a god, heaven, sounds equally depressing
>>
>>7780536
>In that case, you should read your book again. It states very clearly that everything is aimed at verifying what the faithful have concluded in advance, and that anything that disputes this is an abomination. That to me is intellectual poverty in a nutshell. Being intellectually curious is in fact the exact opposite: it's actively going out into the world and trying to find as many different points of view as you possibly can

This is exactly what I did for over a decade after having been disappointed by Christians and the Bible.

And today I know that God let me have my will. So I studied every imaginable world view and major philosopher:
Atheism, Gnosticism, Agnosticism, Nihilism, Existentialism, etc. etc. etc.
>>
>>7780565

If you suppose that god is real and everything in the bible was true wouldn't the person who knowingly disregards it be a fool?

You didn't answer the question either.

>In that case, you should read your book again. It states very clearly that everything is aimed at verifying what the faithful have concluded in advance, and that anything that disputes this is an abomination. That to me is intellectual poverty in a nutshell. Being intellectually curious is in fact the exact opposite: it's actively going out into the world and trying to find as many different points of view as you possibly ca

>Where does it say that?
>>
>>7780572
>And today I know that God let me have my will.

And why is this supposed to be preferable? What good is the concept of satisfaction without dissatisfaction? Don't you think that the whole point of satisfaction is that it usually follows after ages of dissatisfaction, and that without dissatisfaction, satisfaction completely loses its meaning?

These are all thinks you should have critically considered, and clearly didn't. You now pass me this phrase as some obvious good, yet I get the feeling you never once considered whether a world without any hardship whatsoever would actually be good. It would seem like a complete nightmare to me
>>
>>7780583
>If you suppose that god is real and everything in the bible was true wouldn't the person who knowingly disregards it be a fool?

No, not if you don't provide any explanation why this is supposed to be the case. It fact, that would make you the fool, since you mindlessly accepted it without any critical thought whatsoever
>>
>>7780600

You missed the point of the question. Suppose the explanation and evidence is there, and you accept it all as fact. If you would then choose to disregard it all wouldn't that make you a fool?

I can't remember the exact book and verse you're referring but that's the point of it.
>>
> Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea. Then I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, “Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.”

> Then He who sat on the throne said, “Behold, I make all things new.” And He said to me, “Write, for these words are true and faithful.”

> And He said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts. He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God and he shall be My son.

If only i could have the vision of Stephen; I would have a taste of that blessed sight.
>>
>>7780616
>If you would then choose to disregard it all wouldn't that make you a fool?

Then it would still not make me a fool, since ideas always need to be critically considered. A fool is the exact opposite, someone who accepts ideas at face value, at the first sight of something that even half resembles evidence.

So no, that wouldn't make me a fool, that would make me cautious
>>
>>7780308
>he revealed himself to me
So how do you conceive this God your rambling about, exactly? Certainly you'll run up against the limits of language quickly, but try and be precise. I'm genuinely curious.
>>
>>7780170
>What can God do more than to die for his own creation?
Ehm, isn't it supposed to be super almighty or something? And you don't really answer anons question properly.

Obviously you're trolling, but...
Also, how is it fair that people who weren't baptised are doomed to burn in hell?
How is it fair that the place where you were born determines whether you come in contact with Christianity or not? Many people don't even have the chance to be christians.
>>
>>7780620
>And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying.

And again, why would this be preferable? How can joy have any meaning without sorrow?

Stephen's vision doesn't sound wonderful, it sounds really immature and shortsighted
>>
>>7780624

Now I just think you're intentionally being obtuse. You couldn't be that stupid.
>>
>>7780638

Is death without meaning or hope preferable?

Also; that is not the vision of Stephen; it is the vision of John.

Here is the vision of things to come.

> Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God
>>
>>7780642
>Now I just think you're intentionally being obtuse.

No, because I have to view the world through a brain that occasionally makes massive errors, something you're apparently not aware of.

So I'm not obtuse, you're just extremely arrogant about your own intellect
>>
>>7780657
>Is death without meaning or hope preferable?

Life has no meaning with death in the first place. The fact that life ends at some point is the very thing that makes it valuable. Also, why should hope and meaning be given to you?
>>
>>7780000
Mirin digits.

However, relying on a text as an infallible source on a subject when it is written by those who are totally biased is problematic at best.
>>
>>7780669

A universe without transcendant meaning or purpose has no value as do our lives.
>>
>>7780660

It's really hard not to come off as arrogant when you can't comprehend basic Socratic questioning. But by all means, continue telling us how important critical thinking is to you.
>>
File: christian-bale-jesus.jpg (35 KB, 518x437) Image search: [Google]
christian-bale-jesus.jpg
35 KB, 518x437
>>7780000
check'd

obsession over christs death as redemption for mankind has mislead millions into ignoring his teachings and fooling themselves into thinking that faith will save them. "But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds." -James 2:18. Protestants BTFO
>>
>>7780677

That's a really nihilistic way of looking at life
>>
>>7780697
The thing about the bible is that it's never viewed just through random quotes, it's holistic. So the answer is yes, the namefag is in a large theological error about just about everything. But, works and faith aren't in some kind of a conflict, both are necessary for salvation.
>>
>>7780721

Thats the only conclusion philosophy can reach.

In other words; life is absurd.
>>
>>7780728
Oh I know, just pressing buttons.

He really is confused though.
>>
>>7780721
The nihilistic way is the correct one if you aren't a theist or in line with the platonic tradition.
>>7780730
Plato, Aristotle, Plotinus, Augustine, Aquinas, Descartes, Leibniz and a number of pretty significant names disagree. But, atheistic philosophy can only reach nihilism, which is true.
>>
>>7780730
>Thats the only conclusion philosophy can reach.

That says more about you than it does about philosophy
>>
KJV or NIV?
>>
>>7780745
NWA, GNAA and KLF.
>>
>>7780741
>The nihilistic way is the correct one if you aren't a theist or in line with the platonic tradition.

I love how you're not able to view the world in any way other than the Abrahamic or the Socratic way. You do realize that there are plenty of schools of thought outside of those two, right?

So far, all you've done is prove my point that reading just one book or just one kind of books impoverishes your intellect
>>
>>7780745
KJV only!
>>
>>7780742

It says more about you. Those who say that religious people are living a lie are equally living a lie when they say life has meaning or purpose outside of the divine.
>>
>>7780745
http://www.amazon.com/The-Oxford-Annotated-Bible-Apocrypha/dp/0195289609

>>7780756
Nothing worse than an uneducated zealot
>>
>>7780756
You're back. Tell me what shape the earth is.
>>
>>7780774
>It says more about you.

Not really, the fact that you can't imagine not knowing everything or being wrong about anything, to the point where you can't produce any thought that's outside of your specific school of thinking tells me that the problem isn't the world around us, or meaning, it's really you and the tunnel vision version of the world you've created.
>>
>>7780797

> everybody else has tunnel vision but me

What do i care if others who see themselves as wise see me as a fool? Life without the divine is already a foolish endevour.
>>
>>7780811
>> everybody else has tunnel vision but me

No, you do. You can't imagine anyone having meaning an purpose while not subscribing to the Abrahamic-Socratic program. To you, there are only two options: either I have to agree with everything you say and error and suffering are abhorrent and must be completely eliminated, or I'm supposed to be a nihilist. You show literally all the signs of a mindless zealot who can't think outside of his very limited way of thinking, right down to the point where you consider anything outside of it 'foolish' simply because it's outside of your way of thinking.

Again, I've said this before and I will say it again, you show all the signs of intellectual poverty.
>>
File: Ancient-Hebrew-view-of-universe.png (302 KB, 640x638) Image search: [Google]
Ancient-Hebrew-view-of-universe.png
302 KB, 640x638
>>7780792
The Earth has a foundation. It does not move.
>>
>>7780831
Were the moonlandings real?
>>
Bible A Lie & Word Is Lies. Navel Connects 4 Corner 4s. God Is Born Of A Mother – She Left Belly B. Signature. Every Priest Has Ma Sign But Lies To Honor Queers. Belly B. Proves 4 Corners. Your dirty lying teachers use only the midnight to midnight 1 day (ignoring 3 other days) Time to not foul (already wrong) bible time. Lie that corrupts earth you educated stupid fools.
>>
File: scrptures.jpg (43 KB, 463x684) Image search: [Google]
scrptures.jpg
43 KB, 463x684
>>7780000
>>
>>7780830

You have already deemed me foolish. A Universe that is not divinely ordered or designed with a specific purpose is one in which our lives are lived in vain. You have presented nothing to counter that.

>intellectual poverty

Ha. Fine by me.

As if that were end all of life.

> EVERY man naturally desires knowledge; but what good is knowledge without fear of God? Indeed a humble rustic who serves God is better than a proud intellectual who neglects his soul to study the course of the stars. He who knows himself well becomes mean in his own eyes and is not happy when praised by men.

> If I knew all things in the world and had not charity, what would it profit me before God Who will judge me by my deeds?

> Shun too great a desire for knowledge, for in it there is much fretting and delusion. Intellectuals like to appear learned and to be called wise. Yet there are many things the knowledge of which does little or no good to the soul, and he who concerns himself about other things than those which lead to salvation is very unwise.

> Many words do not satisfy the soul; but a good life eases the mind and a clean conscience inspires great trust in God.

> The more you know and the better you understand, the more severely will you be judged, unless your life is also the more holy. Do not be proud, therefore, because of your learning or skill. Rather, fear because of the talent given you. If you think you know many things and understand them well enough, realize at the same time that there is much you do not know. Hence, do not affect wisdom, but admit your ignorance. Why prefer yourself to anyone else when many are more learned, more cultured than you?
>>
Earth Has 4 Days In Same 24 Hrs., 1 Day God Was Wrong. Einstein Was ONEist Brain. Try My Belly-Button Logic. No God Knows About 4 Days, It Is Evil To Ignore 4 Days, Does Your Teacher Know ? Fraudulent ONEness of religious academia has retarded your opposite rationale brain to a half brain slave. YOU IGNORE 3 OF 4 DAYS - FORCE 4 DAYS ON EARTH, THEY ALREADY EXIST. 4 HORSEMEN HAVE 4 DAYS IN ONLY 1 EARTH ROTATION. 4 ANGLES STOOD ON 4 CORNERS. 4 CORNERS ROTATE TO 16 CORNERS WHICH EQUAL TO 4 CORNER DAYS.
TEACHERS ARE EVIL LIARS - THE ONEness OF GOD IS STILLness DEATH.
>>
>>7780834
No.
>>
What do you think of optimism?

Has God created the universe as perfect as it possibly can be and with the biggest surplus of good over evil possible?
>>
>>7780846
is there a good tutorial on writing this kind of text? I never seem get it right
>>
>>7780882
It's quite simple, you just have to keep taking huge doses of psychedelics until you undergo a major psychotic episode.
>>
>>7780880
He has created unique beings with a free will.

The perfect state will be reached when the earth will be destroyed and he will create a new heaven and a new earth.

Everything that happens on the earth is a "purification process", in which God elects his very special people/beings for himself who will spend eternity with him. It will be more than awesome to be with the infinite beauty, intelligence, love, creativity, etc. for the rest of all eternity.

I think what you are aiming at is:
Has everything that happens in our existence been ordained by God?
Yes. He is absolutely sovereign and nothing hits him by surprise. He is in TOTAL control of EVERYTHING.
>>
>>7780882
Just read some Joyce and Foster Wallace and you'll bet settled.
>>
>>7781009
>forgot to remove the name
Busted.
>>
>>7781013
Dang. Got me.
>>
>>7780752
There's plenty and nihilism is always the logical conclusion which is why I contrasted the two.
>>
>>7780907
Lad, lock yourself up.
>>
>>7781076
Lol havin a chuckle over here, mate.
Followers of Christ have been laughed at and mocked ever since he walked the earth.

Got no problem with that, mate.
>>
>>7781096
You're hardly a follower of Christ if you have absolutely no clue how his words are to be interpreted, lad. My idle hope is that you may, someday, realise that this is also where a great deal of the mockery stems from.
>>
>>7780676
This desu
>>
>>7780000
A qtddtot: best way to read the bible? I have a king james at home and was womdering if i should try another way than front to back.
Also nice quads for christ
>>
Some historians have claimed that the scriptures were written hundreds of years after Jesus' crucifixion. I still wonder how they can know this information enough to claim it.

That bald guy on the YaleCourses YT page looked at it from a historical perspective and said there's a difference of looking at things "theologically" and "historically." But, is there any difference? If Christians are supposed to look at the Bible as true history then isn't it paradoxical to have the historians say that the Bible doesn't follow true history?

I want to believe the Bible is true.
>>
>>7781782
Well it's not exactly a fun and entertaining read and it would be highly recommend to read supplementary theology with it such as the Church Fathers, but you can do it. Also a Jerusalem Bible is probably the way to go for a more scholarly edition with annotations that help understand the context.
>>
>>7781018
>There's plenty and nihilism is always the logical conclusion

Yes, to you. Because you view the world in only one way. You never consider any options other than "my worldview is flawless and if anything disagrees with it, it's wrong by default"
>>
File: Catholic_reading_chart_1.jpg (2 MB, 2396x4680) Image search: [Google]
Catholic_reading_chart_1.jpg
2 MB, 2396x4680
>>7781800
>Some historians have claimed that the scriptures were written hundreds of years after Jesus' crucifixion.
Isn't it almost universally accepted that the entirety of the New Testament was finished within +/- 100 years?
>That bald guy on the YaleCourses YT page looked at it from a historical perspective and said there's a difference of looking at things "theologically" and "historically." But, is there any difference?
Well yes. New Testament is both theological and historical, but Revelations and Genesis are theological. You can find good defense of historicity of the bible on the net.
>If Christians are supposed to look at the Bible as true history then isn't it paradoxical to have the historians say that the Bible doesn't follow true history?
It's important to first know the genre of the specific book in question, bible isn't one book, it's 73 books.
>I want to believe the Bible is true.
There's plenty of interesting reading, picture related. It's a number of things that make people Christian, so philosophical arguments, mysticism, experience and so on and I think that it's important to explore all of them.
>>
>>7780852
>You have already deemed me foolish.

No, I deemed you intellectually impoverished. I claimed that you haven't read anything outside of your very limited view of life
>>
>>7781918
Here's the video I was talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQaOlxhg8xg&list=PL279CFA55C51E75E0&index=5
>>
>>7781933
You probably could find a large number of conflicting readings on this, I'm not well versed in this area so I can't help you much.
>>
>>7782019
Fair enough. I'm still making through my first reading of the Bible and learning all the misconceptions I've been taught about it throughout most of my adolescence. Trying to quash or reconcile all the paradoxes I see in historical accounts, etc., so I can fit Christianity and the truths I see in it into my worldview without having to live with a perpetual cognitive dissonance.
>>
>>7782065
I have a Jerusalem Bible and its annotations are very useful.
>>
>>7782081
I'm reading the King James Version, and the language and syntax is beautiful. I'll look out for the Jerusalem Bible though, thanks.
>>
How the hell is this /lit/ relate, take this to his

>Christ will soon return

We have been waiting close to 2000 years, that is not soon.
>>
>>7780000
I stopped being a Christian because I realised the people I looked up to interpreted the Bible wrongly. Also I was in a cult. Woophs.
>>
>>7783207
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlUHoOnVfno
>>
>>7783221
Good sermon desu
>>
>>7783221
I was born and raised in it mind you
>>
>>7783807
So it's not the people in general, it's the cult?
>>
>>7783834
Yes, look up the Family International if interested.
>>
>>7783835
Holy fuck that's nasty.
Did you at least have sex?
>>
>>7780000
Why should I care again?
>>
>>7783856
Thankfully my cult passed rules after our leader died so I think I was spared of the grossness.
>>
>>7783865
Well most of it anyway, lol. Or maybe I'm kidding
>>
>>7783865
Any aversion to the bible is understandable after that shit honestly.
>>
>>7783874
I don't have problems with Christians actually, it's just the extreme fundamentals that get on my nerves.
>>
>>7780011
why wouldst thou speak akin to the kjv without reason?
>>
>>7780008
When does Jesus ever speak about an eternity in Hell? Everything regarding "hell" that I have read in the NT describes it as "being thrown into the fire," or thrown in to a lake of fire. What happens when you get thrown into fire? You die. I haven't seen anything to imply the idea of eternal torture after death isn't just a spook invented by (relatively) modern religious leaders. Is there a verse of the NT you are referring to?
>>
>>7783875
I'm a Catholic so they get on my nerves just as well.
>>
>>7783877
http://www.newadvent.org/summa/5097.htm
Casting people who die instantly into eternal fire wouldn't make too much sense if they were just going to disappear. It's also been the doctrine since well as long as we can trace it and in both Catholic and Orthodox church.
>>
>>7780476

Alright, I admit, my phrasing was a bit off. What I meant was that the devil is a manifestation, an embodiment of pure free will. We're talking about The Morning Star, here.

Also, having to say that God is real is very anti-Christian. God is reality. If He isn't real, we wouldn't exist.
>>
>>7783892
It would make sense, it fits with "the wages of sin is death," as they are dying in an awful painful way, (meaning the threats of punishment, given this interpretation, are coherent, in that most would want to avoid this awful, painful death.) If they do not die when thrown in the fire, then this would contradict "the wages of sin is death."

Additionally, I don't see the logic in assuming the fire thing means eternal punishment; in regular life today, if someone gets thrown into a lake of fire, (say a volcano,) they die. Assuming that here the rules have changed and that they will not die assumes something extra which is not stated; it's an extra biblical addition. Just some food for thought.

Also, you linked me to a page arguing that eternal damnation is stated in the bible, but didn't give me a reference and neither did that page, so I'm assuming you don't have one.
>>
>>7784017
It's referenced in the page itself.
>>
>>7780000
Christianity is Platonism for the plebs. Why don't you read Plato instead?

You can be a good person you know. You don't need an evil jewish religion to do it.
>>
>>7784107
>Christianity is Platonism for the plebs.
It's far closer to Aristotle. Platonic elements are more or less just onthological and even that's modified as well as some ethical similarities.
>Why don't you read Plato instead?
Reading Plato doesn't conflict with reading Bible.
>You can be a good person you know.
What is good?
>You don't need an evil jewish religion to do it.
Christians or at least serious Christian thinkers have never argued against this. But to reach truth and God and inner peace you do need it.
>>
>it's a neckbeards roleplay as devout Christians thread
I love these to be honest
>>
>>7784107
No thanks. I know Plato.
Plato would have LOVED to meet Christ, since Christ is his maker. He is everything Plato ever longed for and all he has tried to put into words, but couldn't.

And, no you cannot be a good person without Christ, Romans 3:10-18:

10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

13 Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips:

14 Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:

15 Their feet are swift to shed blood:

16 Destruction and misery are in their ways:

17 And the way of peace have they not known:

18 There is no fear of God before their eyes.
>>
>>7783221
This guy is very good. I want to listen to more sermons like these. Got any video links so I don't have to socialize/leave my house?
>>
>>7780375
dude please don't speak on things you obviously don't understand

i don't like OP's fire and brimstone approach, especially as an annihilationist myself, but hell is not the burning of rome lmfao
>>
>>7780000

Sorry, I was raised Buddhist. None of this matters to me. But cool for you to care I guess.
Thread replies: 175
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.