[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Asperger's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7
File: tony_attwood_book1.jpg (266 KB, 425x591) Image search: [Google]
tony_attwood_book1.jpg
266 KB, 425x591
Have you ever read a book about AS?
Can you give some advices?

I start:
Tony Attwood - The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome
>>
Really the best thing to do, from personal experience, is to read everything available to you, and to be discriminating. I found a lot of good stuff in academic journals and such, but most books I've looked at by so called experts in the field have definitely been pretty disengaged from my own experiences as an autistic person, at any rate.
>>
>>7777101

I've been told by DFW fans (who are an authority on the topic) that Aspergers is no longer considered an accurate diagnostic tool. It's more helpful to consider the afflicted to be on the Autism Spectrum.
>>
>>7777101
OP's biography
>>
File: 1439765245337.png (103 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1439765245337.png
103 KB, 700x700
Not really /lit/, but I'm pretty sure Karl Pilkington has Asperger's (or high-functioning autism). If you watch An Idiot Abroad it becomes clear that he has no clue how to interact with other humans in a socially acceptable way. One of the symptoms of autism is being unable to imagine how another person might think or feel, how they might react to your words and actions. Karl seems completely unaware of the effect his ramblings have on other people, and he seems bemused to find out that other people don't think the same way he does.
>>
If Asperger's is anything like ADHD, then it's a fake condition whose purpose is to cover for shitty parenting.
>>
>>7777193
I'm pretty sure you must be on the spectrum if you can't tell that Karl's a character actor.
>>
Genetic screening/testing for things like this before getting an abortion.
>>
>>7777207
>>7777224
look at these idiots who do not know what they are talking about
>>
File: No m8.gif (415 KB, 307x277) Image search: [Google]
No m8.gif
415 KB, 307x277
>>7777228

ADHD is an invention of Big Pharma to medicate (make money from) improperly raised kids.

This is common knowledge.
>>
>>7777193
labeling autistic people with "high" or "low" function isn't accurate (or useful)
most despise that labeling system, actually
>>
>>7777242
As a spectrum-tard, fuck off. There's a big difference between (A.) someone who can speak and interact with other humans but flaps their hands around and has trouble making eye contact, and (B.) someone who can't speak at all and has to be spoon-fed.
"High-functioning" and "low-function" just refer to the extent of social acclimatization. It's not a ranking tier, but a generalization. If an autistic person can function reasonably in society without major assistance, they're high-functioning. It's very useful.
>>
>>7777228
Look at this idiot not wanting to abort the deficient.
>>
>>7777276
Look at this idiot without self-awareness.
>>
File: 1443304036798.jpg (10 KB, 244x250) Image search: [Google]
1443304036798.jpg
10 KB, 244x250
>>7777285
Looks like we found the sad kid with ass burgers posting in this thread.
>>
>>7777268
so every non-verbal person would be low-functioning? what? this shit isn't consistent nor is it the same for everyone, it's mostly a mix. is the ability to pass for a Super Perfectly Normal Neurotypical what makes a person high functioning to you?
>>
File: witty.jpg (48 KB, 882x918) Image search: [Google]
witty.jpg
48 KB, 882x918
>>7777295
>tfw it's totally true

Anyway, quick question about Derrida to anyone who knows: is he still primarily concerned with signs themselves or with the relationships between signs? Like does he suggest that we only examine signs based on their relationships between each other, or that we merely take the relationships into consideration?
>>
>>7777372
Jesus fuck, no. Clearly there are mute people who can function just fine, but it's a question of ability to conform and communicate and the extent to which they can. Passing as normal has little to do with it.
>>
I was coerced into being diagnosed with ASD a few years ago. I still have not read anything on the topic.
>>
>>7777406
>"coerced" into being diagnosed.
What did they hold a gun to your head and make you do things that would result in a positive diagnosis?
>>
>>7777406
>Coerced into being diagnosed

>Good, good, now flap your hands like this. Let the doctor see.
>Now tell him how you used to wet your bed - DON'T FUCKIN LOOK HIM IN THE EYE
>Very good, keep this up and we won't kill your mother.
>>
>>7777237
If by "knowledge" you mean justified true belief as I do, no it clearly isn't.
>>
>>7777418
Not quite. My mother, and psychologist, would not stop asking me to undergo diagnostic procedures. I was their originally for depression, I just wanted to get back on point.
>>
>>7777435
>made me take the diagnostic tests
>"made" me somehow get a result that was positive
>I don't like having ass burgers so the test is therefore wrong because I was made to take the test
You'd have had ass burgers regardless, the test just makes matters official.
>>
>>7777426
this post gets it.
This post would also make for a great scene in that new DFW show.
>>
>>7777268
>It's very useful
How exactly is classifying autistic people useful other than to people without autism?
Even then it's not useful because people assume they know what every "low functioning" autistic person is like because they've met one before.
It's the same with any other 'mental disorder'
>>
Mileage may vary from sperg to sperg but for me The Stranger actually captures the feel of being autistic really well.
>>
>>7777406
>>7777435
This is how psychiatry works
They don't give a fuck about actually learning about the patient other than from a scientific understanding. They just want to get their diagnosis
>>
>>7777483
Or you all need to re familiarize yourselves with what constitutes coercion.
>>
>>7777483
>don't want to learn anything other than scientific understanding
>Just want their diagnosis
Well which one is it?
It is science after all. Sorry if that hurts the feelings of the ass burger "victims" who have been "coerced" into this predicament.
>>
File: special.jpg (10 KB, 200x220) Image search: [Google]
special.jpg
10 KB, 200x220
>>7777471
>other than to people without autism?
And that's not utility? The worst thing about autism (for me) is the way that other people treat me. When people are able to understand that I'm high-functioning, they're a lot less patronising and they can understand that my abnormal social behaviour isn't because I'm an asshole (though I am an asshole), but because I have autism.
For low-function autistics, it means that people harass them less and have more patience, and legislation can be enacted that gives them and their families funding because, very often, they need it.
When we talk about stereotypes and assumptions, I blame Rain Man and other parts of the Hollywood machine more than people's personal experiences with the disorder. People who have only met one autistic person will naturally assume that all people are "like that". A widely-known classification system has nothing to do with it. At least the high-functioning/low-functioning dichotomy gives people some groundwork to start from.
I'm going to go right ahead and assume that you're the same special anon who was spouting off about "neurotypicals". Being autistic may not come with many challenges for you, but for someone like me who relies on medication and a decade or two of therapy to avoid being assaulted by cops or kicked out of my University, these sorts of classifications are very, very helpful.
>>
>>7777554
Scientific understanding and diagnosis are the same thing
They both classify people using strict definitions without realizing that not all autistic people are the same
>>7777602
You're saying you can't be helped to, I guess, 'fit in' to society unless you've been classified as "low functioning" or whatever. That's ridiculous. A psychologist can treat the symptoms of whatever it is that's impeding your progress to fit into society without having to say "you're high functioning". When all a psychologist does is say "I see that you're high functioning so do this this and this and you'll be all better" that just ignores the individual and treats the 'disorder' as if it was a physical injury or a disease. The only thing this classification of mental disorders works to do is provide doctors with an easier (for them) way to 'treat' these people. They can look back on past studies of autistic individuals and draw conclusions based on the symptoms presented in those people without ever really learning about a single autistic person.
>I'm going to go right ahead and assume that you're the same special anon who was spouting off about "neurotypicals"
You would be wrong to assume that.
>>
>>7777237
http://www.healthline.com/health/adhd/the-brains-structure-and-function
>>
asperger's syndrome is cancelled it's not even in the latest version of the dsm, turns out all u nerds had a fake disorder, or more accurately ur momma's boys with shitty social skills
>>
>>7777101
If you're looking for a novel that has a unique perspective on Autism I would recommend PKD's The Martian Time Slip.
>>
>>7777602
What medication do you take? I was under the impression ASD wasn't something you could medicate.
Unless you're referring to depression or other comorbid issues, like giving borderline guys adderall for impulsivity.
>>
>>7777237
>Big Pharma
*tips*
>>
>>7777814
dude, they have medication for down syndrome now, it doesn't matter if it works or not, if they can get ur insurance to pay for it, they can come up with a pill for u to take every day
>>
>>7777237
>ADHD is an invention of Big Pharma

I believe the proper term for that is Jewish Science.
>>
>>7777814
There are no medications for ASD,per se. Many take drugs for co-morbid issues, though.
>>
>>7777758
It hasn't really been cancelled, it has just been absorbed into "autistic spectrum disorder". Which includes all forms of autism.
>>
>>7777925
most of the ppl diagnosed with "high functioning autism" are just kids who got smothered by their mommy and are now hopeless dweebs
>>
>>7777939
k
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-xgdqNtcDI
>>
>>7777101

Part of me likes to think that there's exactly one person responsible for all the posts around here that criticize people by claiming they're autistic, on the spectrum, etc., and that they'll see this post and get a wild thought to educate themselves about what Asperger's et al are really about, and then stop with the posts. Part of me is a realist though and has a pretty good idea what's going to happen next.
>>
>>7777939
Autism isn't real. It's called bad parenting.
>>
>>7777859
>it doesn't matter if it works or not
This is a horrifyingly ignorant and unscientific thing to try to claim

>>7778301
>>7777939
Ditto. Psychology isn't a precise thing but goddamn, the least you could do is familiarize yourself with some of the heuristics (eyes test for instance) and symptoms/behavior of ASD individuals so your model can bother to account for all of that, as well as those without "social skills" who are not autistic.

Tbh it's more a lens one views the world through. It's cloudier in some places and clearer in others.
>>
>>7778301
you are just ignorant on the topic
>>
>>7777814
I used to take Respiridal, which, as an antipsychotic, helped me control my emotions, which meant that my behaviour was more "normalized". It also helped me organize my thoughts, and -- at least behaviourally -- I was less sensitized to external stimuli like high-pitched noises, the smell of fish, and the colour red.
I don't take it any more, as I weaned myself off a year or two after I became an adult, but I'm still on Trazodone, which I take for depression and insomnia which may or may not be comorbid.
Medication for autism is less about treating the illness and more about treating symptoms. You can't really change the way somebody thinks or reasons, but you can help them control sense perception and behaviour, and behaviour is the main problem-causer with autism.
>>
>>7778649
>crying about high pitched noises
>crying about the smell of fish
>crying about the color red

this is not autism, this is being a fucking baby, grow the fuck up nerd
>>
>>7777654
You're misunderstanding what high-functioning and low-functioning mean in the contexts of autism. They don't really have much meaning in terms of psychiatry and the uses of the words are marginal in terms of psychology. They terms don't even appear in the DSM. They're just an informal classification system that makes it easier for family and acquaintances who don't have decades of psychiatric or psychological training behind them. Trust me, there's a big difference between someone who's knowledge of autism comes from the movies and someone whose at least aware of the differences between high-functioning and low-functioning and what they mean. It's an important distinction to make.
Also, psychologists don't assign courses of treatment and rarely make diagnoses. That's what psychiatrists do.
>You're saying you can't be helped to, I guess, 'fit in' to society unless you've been classified as "low functioning" or whatever.
I'm saying nothing about what can or can't be done, but the truth is closer to the opposite. Low-functioning people will have an extremely hard time fitting into society, while high-functioning autistics may not even need treatment at all. Again, these words don't really affect the behaviour of psychiatrists in terms of diagnoses and treatment plans, but they do affect public perception, the expectations of parents and educators, and the distribution of funding. Eventually, as people become more educated, the black-and-white system of high and low-functioning will probably become outdated, but right now, it's a positive force.
>You would be wrong to assume that.
Sorry for that then, buddy.
>>
>>7778680
dude, if u can write long whiney buttblasted posts on the internet then ur not autistic, really autistic people can't even fucking talk...so sick of shitty nerds trying to blame their social failings on "autism" but at the same time claiming to be geniuses, autistic people are literally retarded, that is real autism, not the hollywood kind, so maybe YOU should get an understanding of autism, homo
>>
>>7778673
>8/8 bait, but I'll bite
I've never cried at any of those things, it was just difficult to function when those sensory stimuli were activated. When I was young, a strong smell of fish meant that I couldn't speak. It's like wires get crossed in my brain. I'm a little bit more tolerant now.
It also has nothing to do with whether I like the sense or not. I actually quite like the colour crimson, though its presence makes it difficult to concentrate. I don't mind the smell of fish on an aesthetic level either, and since the smell of fish in Red Lobster and most other chain restaurants is artificial, the smell doesn't bother me at all, though most people can't tell the difference.
Do you tell Schizophrenics that they need to let go of their imaginary friends? Do you tell depressed people to lighten up? The fact that you give a shit about what bothers other people tells me you're a little underdeveloped yourself.
>>
>>7778705
ppl who want a fucking snowflake award for having defective brains should shut the fuck up, yes, if a black kid couldn't read because there was a red poster on the wall he wouldnt be called a boy genius with autism, he'd be called "special needs" and thrown in a retard class where he belongs, shut the fuck up, nigger
>>
File: TempleGrandin.jpg (75 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
TempleGrandin.jpg
75 KB, 620x349
>>7778689
>Get a load of this nigger.
>>
>>7778719
Where did you get the idea that autistic = genius or even special? Maybe breathe a bit. Drink a glass of water. Go for a run. You're either way to mad or way to young to be fucking around on the internet, young mister.
>>
>>7778736
no one brags on the internet about having down syndrome, yet every where u go there's some idiotic nerd bragging about being an autistic twit, WE know autistics are retards, but nerds like u like to think u r smart and not just retards who get flustered by random smells lol
>>
>>7778757
>Being this mad at something that doesn't affect you.
>u r smart
>lol
>broken shift key
This is an 18+ board. Go back to club penguin so u can txt talk w/ ur m8s.
>>
>>7778705
Yes I do tell them all of those things.
>>
>>7778930
Are you doing all right? Is everything okay at home?
>>
>>7777777
I just wanted to see who got this post, sorry guys.
>>
>>7778689
read who is Temple Grandin you fucking moron
>>
oh man
>>
I've started reading NeuralTribes by Steve Silberman, it's alright.
>>
>>7781585
*NeuroTribes sorry.
>>
>>7777101
We have that exact book on our bookshelf, but I've never picked it up personally. I think my parents both read it, though.

>>7777426
I laughed, but only because the only way I got out of the psych ward was by being handed an autism diagnosis. It was a place based on a therepeutic community principle, and I did a shitty job of being part of the community. I got diagnosed, I got kicked off the ward and put back on the street. It was an interesting turn of events.
>>
>>7777237
Eleborate
>>
My family used to think I had asperger's syndrome, they recommended this very book in the OP btw, lol.
>>
>>7777101

I read up about asperger's once I heard about it and thought maybe I had it. I fit a lot of the "symptoms" and asked people I knew (mom, friend, friend's uncle, friend's uncle's psychiatrist wife) and they thought maybe. Considering these are the people that know me best, I figured it'd be best to ask them.

I thought about going to an actual therapist or something for it, but I'm a little scared to know if I'm genuinely defective. Also, it costs too much money that I don't have.
>>
>>7777101
Look Me In The Eye by John Elder Robinson was suggested to me. Seemed interesting enough, but I didn't read far into it.

>>7781585
Is it? I've been interested in getting into it. Though every review of it reeks of this same "we wuz kangs" kind of mentality. Except with "we wuz inventors an sheeyat".
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.