[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
H. P. Lovecraft
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: 1453079093412.jpg (103 KB, 404x507) Image search: [Google]
1453079093412.jpg
103 KB, 404x507
The Call of Cthulhu was great and I want to get into his longer stuff.

What should I read next?
>>
Shadow over innsmouth or dagon, perhaps? Stay away from at the mountains of madness.
>>
You wrote longer, NOT other. I see that now. In that case disregard my advice, except from staving away from atmom, its fucking pulp shit.
>>
>>7777180
>>7777184

Don't listen to him, At the Mountains of Madness is quite good.
Just don't begin with Herbert West
>>
>>7777093

I recommend Shadow Over Innsmouth, Mountains Of Madness, and Dream Quest Of Unknown Kadath.

Also you might wanna check out The Mound, Whispherer In Darkness and The Case Of Charles Dexter Ward.
>>
The Rats in the Walls
The Dunwich Horror
The Whisperer in Darkness
The Shadow Out of Time
The Haunter in the Dark
The Colour Out of Space
The Shadow Over Innsmouth
>>
>>7777212
I agree with all of those except Dream Quest of Unkown Kadath. It can be rather jarring to read if you are not already familiar with the dream world setting.
>>
The Mound was pretty neat
>>
Mountain of Madness is just very science heavy (by lovecraft standard). Many people dislike that but personally it's one of my favorites.
>>
>>7777233

You may be right. It's just that many people only know the horror HPL and Kadath is an example of him trying his hand at fantasy, after a fashion.

>>7777226

All of those too.
>>
>>7777093
>What should I read next?

not lovecraft
>>
>>7777238

Me too. Scientific curiosity vs basic survival instict, it was very human.

>the part where they're exploring the ruins while piecing together the history of the Old Ones through the murals and dreading every step.
>>
>>7777233
Yeah you kind of need the Lovecraft dream-y context from the rest of his work before Kadath. There's a reason he wrote it later in his life.
>>
>>7777093
http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/
Merry christmas.
>>
>>7777212
>>7777226
>>7777236
>>7777352
>>7777233
>>7777278
Thanks guys.

>>7777180
>>7777184
>>7777238
>>7777195
So Mountain of Madness is an outlier?
Perhaps I'll read it after I'm more familiar with all his other stuff, then see if I like the deviation.

>>7777254
Do you just not like him or do you think there are better horror writers?
If so who are they?
>>
Mountains of Madness was the best he wrote
>>
File: 1440424714321.jpg (50 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1440424714321.jpg
50 KB, 500x500
>>7777093
Lovecraft doesn't have many "long" stories. "At the Mountains of Madness" is his longest work. "The New Annotated H.P. Lovecraft" has a lot of material in it. If you want to read a bunch of Lovecraft this would be your best option.

"Haunter of the Dark" is really good too desu senpai~<3
>>
>>7777238
>>7777264
>>7777414
The only Lovecraft I've read was Mountains of Madness and it was garbage. Not because of 'science heaviness' but because it was the epitome aimless genre-fiction which relied heavily on the constant Lovecraftian patois of unknowability.
>>
>>7777433

>constant Lovecraftian patois of unknowability.
>The only Lovecraft I've read was Mountains of Madness

What would you know about his "constants" when you've read ONE work? Christ.
>>
>>7777397
>Do you just not like him or do you think there are better horror writers?
>If so who are they?

I think he's best read in chunks. Read one story now and then another in let's say a month. He gets repetitive too fast and I am not a big fan of his prose to begin with, which makes it even worse.

But read whatever you like, mango.

Check out the stories others rec'd, some are good.
>>
>>7777238
>>7777415
This.

I enjoyed it but it take a lot of time to build up and you need to go into it expecting that. If you've ever read classic sci-fi like Jules Verne and know the type of dialogue / description that goes through every single dimension of any given person or setting's size/appearance than you know what it'll look like.

But I still liked it. Strange and interesting. Archaic in a good / quaint way.
>>
>>7777093
Lol racism
>>
>>7777986
LE NIGGER MAN
>>
>>7777988
He showed everyone that even in a works full of incomprehensible nightmares the real monsters are non whites.

Truly ahead of his time.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.