[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How good is this? Will it be of any use to a modern reader?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: htwfaip.jpg (92 KB, 600x948) Image search: [Google]
htwfaip.jpg
92 KB, 600x948
How good is this? Will it be of any use to a modern reader?
>>
it has some good guidelines on how to not be a dick to everybody u meet, so yes
>>
File: 1449326552113.png (24 KB, 505x464) Image search: [Google]
1449326552113.png
24 KB, 505x464
>>7776911
A cuck philosophy for cucks. What you need is The Ego and His Own by Max Stirner. That and Niccolò Machiavelli.
>>
I read it in 7th grade and it cured me of my autism.
>>
>>7776911
I haven't read it, but I've read about it. From what I can tell of its contents, I have a boss who has apparently read it and lives it to the letter. He's quite successful, so maybe there's something to it.
>>
>>7776911
Average tier brain washing. If you like people you will do these things naturally, if not, you'll come across fake.
>>
Doesn't work on autists and manchildren (so anyone in academia, especially professors).
>>
>>7777196
Read it again just to make sure.
>>
>>7777230

There's a backstory to Dale Carnegie and a friend of his who knew "the secret", one of the books mentions this in the intro, going as far as to say "If you learned it and understood, no matter what part of the book you're in, stop reading and apply the knowledge yourself."

It referred to as knowing when the opportunity rises and take on it instead of giving up before the last step, he uses different stories as metaphors to this situation.
>>
>>7776911
It's good if you're autistic, so you get insight into what to do in social situations. But some of the tips there became salesman cliches and just don't work anymore, repeating the other person's name particularly.

Also, there's just going to be people who you can't negotiate with and should be told to fuck off; this is basically what an unfinished chapter says, IIRC.
>>
>>7776911
It's not bad. He has too much faith that everyone is truly good at heart, but it is a practical method for being friendly to people and getting better at business/management.
>>
>>7778138
>It's good if you're autistic, so you get insight into what to do in social situations.
This would kind of help me, I think. Does it also feature basic conversations, being afraid of what people think of one and such?
>>
>>7778215
>Does it also feature basic conversations, being afraid of what people think of one and such?
Sort of. It basically says you have to smile in order to leave a good impression, compliment on whatever the other person has (office, car, clothes, etc.), always talk about what the other person is interested in, be a good listener and let the other person do most of the talking and don't whine and/or criticize. These are some of the most basic concepts that I remember, the rest only applies if you're in a position of power or are a salesman

>>7778143
Dale could be quite cynical, though
>When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic. We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bristling with prejudices and motivated by pride and vanity.
>>
>>7778121
Where's the evidence nigger?
>>
>>7778288
I looked up the book, I take it back, I thought the book talked about Dale but it was Andrew Carnegie.

And, I just looked up in wikipedia on Dale Carnegie, which explained further the confusion between names.

"Perhaps one of Carnegie's most successful marketing moves was to change the spelling of his last name from "Carnagey" to Carnegie, at a time when Andrew Carnegie (unrelated) was a widely revered and recognized name. As Dale Carnagey he worked as assistant to Lowell Thomas in his famous travelogue "With Allenby in Palestine and Lawrence in Arabia". He managed and delivered the travelogue in Canada."

Sorry, anyways, if anyone is interested in the book.

THINK AND GROW RICH
by
Napoleon Hill

1936 Edition
A Public Domain Book
>>
>>7777194
How do I into Stirner?
>>
>>7778257
>Sort of. It basically says you have to smile in order to leave a good impression, compliment on whatever the other person has (office, car, clothes, etc.), always talk about what the other person is interested in, be a good listener and let the other person do most of the talking and don't whine and/or criticize. These are some of the most basic concepts that I remember, the rest only applies if you're in a position of power or are a salesman
Doesn't everyone already do this?
>>
>>7776911
If youre not a complete social retard then everything in this book is so obvious that it's really not worth reading, if you are then do read it. This really is the best description of it, if you have any social experience at all your gonna find it incredibly boring
>>
>>7779067
>What you need is The Ego and His Own by Max Stirner.

maybe read the one he mentioned??????
>>
>>7779137
What I meant is whether I need to have read anything before reading it you fucking le quirky :p cunt
>>
>>7779147
sorry, I just wasn't sure what you meant I guess. The Ego and His Own was one of the first philosophy books I read and there wasn't too much of an issue in it for me in terms of understanding. I think if you're interested you can just go ahead and read it and it should be np
>>
>>7779077
That's why it's good if you're autistic, Dale writes this kind of stuff in a very straight forward way, but it assumes you have no issue being talkative/a bit extroverted on the first place.

It also could be because of the book's influence, though.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.