[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best version of this book? I've already
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: 9780140449334.jpg (914 KB, 1460x2244) Image search: [Google]
9780140449334.jpg
914 KB, 1460x2244
What's the best version of this book? I've already read a pdf version that I loved but I'd like a physical copy I can take with me places.
>>
>>7775671
hays translation, modern library hardcover
>>
>>7775970
Just purchased. Thanks very much.
>>
>>7775671

Why are you reading it? Meditations is pretty much the Bible for bohemians and libertines; they use it to feel good about their hedonistic lives.
>>
>>7775989
Just find it useful during stressful times. Nothing makes me calm down and focus more than reading it.
>>
>>7775671
I've read it about three times, it's not that great...
>>
It got insanely repetitive and a lot of his points contradict each other. There are some occasional gems, but if you've read half of it, you've read it all.
>>
>>7776329
What is the definition of Meditation.

Sure, he might contradict at times, but Aurelius wasn't a philosopher, proper. He was a rich roman dude with his own set of complexities that no doubt stem from his strong attachment to the "real world."
He's good for both those interested or in need of some kind of philosophy and he's always good to go back to for those who've gone the distance.
>>
>>7775989
lol
>>
>>7775671
Get the loeb edition. Small enough to fit in your pocket. Also, learn Greek. You haven't read meditations until you've read it in the original Klingon.

The text of meditations which has come down to us is quite corrupt, so any translation involves a fair bit of interpolation.
>>
>>7775989
>Hedonistic
You're thinking of Epicurus friendo
>>
>>7776430
Seneca and Epictetus are way better. They present the same ideas as Aurelius but in a more concise manner
>>
>>7776329
This book wasn't meant to be a biography or a stoic manual. It's just a dialogue between Aurelius and himself. The only reason why this work is worth anything is because while Aurelius was writing this, he was busy being a top 3 Roman emperor. A lesser man wouldn't have acted with the grace that he did.
>>
>>7775970

Can confirm
>>
File: 1444340618114.jpg (44 KB, 282x341) Image search: [Google]
1444340618114.jpg
44 KB, 282x341
>>7775989
>Stoicism
>Hedonistic
>>
>>7775970
This version is terrible. Really dumbed down. Compare it with the '64 Penguin version.

>1964: When force of circumstance upsets your equanimity, lose no time in recovering your self-control, and do not remain out-of-tune longer than you can help. Habitual recurrence to the harmony will increase your mastery of it.

>2002: When jarred, unavoidably, by circumstances, revert at once to yourself, and don't lose the rhythm more than you can help. You'll have a better grasp of the harmony if you keep going back to it.

>1964: Adapt yourself to the environment in which your life has been cast, and show true love to the fellow-mortals with whom destiny has surrounded you.

>2002: The things ordained for you - teach yourself to be at one with those. And the people who share them with you - treat them with love. With real love.

>>7775984

Ya dun goofed.
>>
File: XULC_Montaigne_Essais1652.jpg (105 KB, 250x419) Image search: [Google]
XULC_Montaigne_Essais1652.jpg
105 KB, 250x419
>>7775671
The best version of this book
>>
>>7778362
Wow. I have the Hays version because I was told it was the best. The older version is written in a way that makes it seem more clear and profound. Hays seems clumsy as fuck
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (130 KB, 768x1152) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
130 KB, 768x1152
>>7775671
folio society edition
>>
>>7778362
Who did the 1964 translation?
>>
>>7778402
I think it was Maxwell Staniforth.
>>
>>7775989
what in the actual fuck? It's so obvious you haven't even been past the first 2 or 3 pages.
>>
>>7775671
How about a copy of the pdf you already read dumbfuck?
>>
>>7775989
you melt
>>
>>7775989
I hope you haven't read it because if you have; I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you this, but you're extremely retarded.
>>
>>7776804
I'm not really convinced he acted with any grace. Maybe thats why he had to keep reminding himself the same rules over and over again.
>>
>>7778362
you're a fucking retard. it is 'dumbed down' because that's closer to the real translation. he wrote a lot of it while on horseback, marching between various campaigns. it is very short and to the point language.

the many other translations made the writing very flowery and poetic, when it isn't like that at all.

>>7778396
don't fall for it, anon
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.