[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Main toon is a complete whining idiot >The books are disconnected
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3
File: mag.jpg (53 KB, 309x475) Image search: [Google]
mag.jpg
53 KB, 309x475
>Main toon is a complete whining idiot
>The books are disconnected somewhat
>IM GONNA BECOME SUPER DUPER MAGICIAN
>Start of next book: I quit magic
>5 pages later
>I started magic again
>5 pages later
>It's been 2 years and I haven't used magic

Not even talking how it is a really damn blatant Narnia copy with a touch of HP
>>
I watched the TV show of this and it was awful.
>>
>>7775589

I quite like the TV show, but the main toon is still a whiny cunt even there.
And they skip over how hard they actually work and study there
>>
Just started the third book
When does it get good?
>>
Legitimately one of the best fantasy books to come out in the last 50 years.
>>
I liked it a lot
>>
>>7775691

Really?
The Shannara books aren't too bad, they're just a boring version of LOTR.

Do you have any recommendations for other magic fantasy related books that have come out in the past few decades (similar to Magicians)
>>
>>7775733
Kingkiller Chronicles
Mistborn Trilogy
Stormlight Archives
Thomas Covenant
Wheel of Time
Sword of Truth
Magician
>>
>>7775739

Thanks.
>>
>>7775741
Malazan the Fallen too
ASOIAF obviously
Book of The New Sun
>>
File: Puking Dark Soul.jpg (190 KB, 621x621) Image search: [Google]
Puking Dark Soul.jpg
190 KB, 621x621
>>7775579
>Oh you like fantasy, huh?
>By fantasy you mean 'disaffected drug and sex addled teens complaining about 1st world problems, right?'

It's actually pretty okay and has some originality but goddamn the characters are all fuckfaces
>>
>>7775739
You're on a literature board and you post that shit? Jesus christ how low can you go?

>>7775733
Ignore this person unless you like wasting your whole life reading drivel: black company is ok
Wizard knight
Gormenghast

The second two are real books unlike those godawful twilight sequels that intellectual cripple recommended you
>>
>>7775777
Not him, I get that most of those are shit, but what's wrong with Thomas Covenant?
>>
>>7775750

The getting back to fillary was the worst part of book 2
>>
>>7775663

The first book
>>
>>7775750

Why isnt it more talked about,since its pretty good
>>
>>7776002
because when discussing fiction, unlike philosophy, you can't really condense it into a few memes then argue some garbled deontological viewpoints with a rotating cast of trolls and idiots for 8 hours straight and sincerely believe you're still on topic

You have to actually have read the novel, and actually cared enough to discuss it, and then actually have found someone else who did those two things, and then actually come up with something to discuss since there's no built in 'point' or 'argument' with fiction that you can immediately glom onto.

that's why actual dedicated discussion threads are rare as fuck, and tend towards lowest common denominator stuff like /a/ tier 'which wizard wud u turn into an arctic fox and fug'
>>
>>7776035
>which wizard wud u turn into an arctic fox and fug'

Julia
>>
>>7776411
sorry anon it's been a while since I read the book and I since I kinda lumped every single character into the same 'unlikable wretch' category I don't remember who that is

I remember MC the bland and sexually frustrated yet oversexed (unless I'm conflating two characters) Girl who was a smart normie but not a wizard but then an emo wizard and fatty who fucked a harpy offscreen in book 2

I'm not even sure if those are real characters, I feel like the last one might be a piers anthony MC

But my point is
Not on the rocks.
Not as a fox.
Not in a house.
Not with a mouse.
I would not fug them here or there.
I would not fug them anywhere.
I would not fug green Magicians and ham.
I do not like them, Anon-I-am.
>>
>>7776035

Alice but shes dead
Maybe before she died

>>7776452

Josh fucked a harpie

Julia was the one super butthurt that she didnt get into barebacks that she sucked off a million guys to teach her magic
>>
>>7776549
Can't wait for the god rape in the series man.

They already went to the arctic and back.

GOD RAPE SOON
GET HYPED!!
>>
>>7776780

God rape? Im onlu halfway through 2nd book
They didnt even show them being foxes or fucking as foxes
So i wouldnt get excited
>>
>>7776786
>They didnt even show them being foxes
This weeks episode anon, watch again. They had the foxes playing, then did flashing of them fucking as humans.

As someone who read, I thought you would be able to read hidden meanings.

Also.... Penny was suppose to be us guys, the forever alone who wanted Alice, but got friendzoned. In the show he is a fucking chad. Penny was a FUCKING VIRGIN(or was that josh?)
>>
>toon
>>
>>7775579
Listen guys.
I've had a very love/hate relationship with this book and I understand all the hate it receives.
I don't understand many books, but I feel like I understood what the author was trying to convey through this trilogy. It took me until the end of the second book to understand, and I feel like it validates the first book, even though it was a bit of a rocky start. III > II > I, objectively. In fact, I haven't read a better conclusion than the one found in the final book.

If I could summarize the message to be delivered in one single sentence, it would be this:
"No matter how fantastic magic is, it can never be truly fulfilling."

The trilogy starts off with allusions to famous magical fantasy works such as The Chronicles of Narnia (children travelling to a magical land through a {wardrobe, clock} and interfering with the Gods of this land, aging differently while they're there) and Harry Potter books (Boy travels to {Hogwarts, Brakebills} to learn how to use magic and is confronted with a powerful evil presence, {Voldemort, Martin}). This is done overtly in order to allow the reader to compare the protagonist's development to that of those in the alluded works, because the difference here is the most important detail to be observed. Quentin never feels like magic fills the void in his life, and he goes on to grow up into a better person by other means. Being a literal God for a moment is inconsequential to him in retrospect.

In conclusion, this is an amazing Bildungsroman. It challenges the popular notion of "Man, if I could use magic, all my problems would go away." The magic described is very thaumaturgical and stimulating to read, too.
>>
>>7776795

I started reading after it aired
My memory is shit though I dont recall foxes, ill glance through it again later today
>>
>>7776858

But it was super obvious even from the first book already that magic sux
>>
>>7776786
I hope they show when Quinton does the "let there be light motherfucker" scene. His hands are suppose to be doing some crazy movements.
>>
>>7775579
>toonposting on lit
>>
I want co to leave
>>
>>7778527

What do you mean
>>
>>7775739
Thomas Covenant is awesome tho, and the first few books of Wheel Of Time are amazing.
>>
>>7779928
Thomas Covenant is shit and you should feel bad for liking it, atone for your sins by burning all books and whipping yourself 10 times.
>>
>>7779988
>Thomas Covenant is shit

Why?
>>
>>7776858
This anon understands. The series is a critique of escapism. At the end of the day, even a world of infinite fantastical possibilities is just a big distraction that does nothing to address the fundamental concerns of the human condition.
>>
>>7775750
you're supposed to hate them. have you ever met an ivy league kid?
>>
>>7780872

Nope
>>
>>7780803

But it's not true, magic WOULD fix everything
>>
File: Wizard slob.jpg (212 KB, 534x900) Image search: [Google]
Wizard slob.jpg
212 KB, 534x900
>>7780872
So what?

I could write a book about diaper furries and make them pitiable wretches that everyone agreed on them being noxious and unlikable. That doesn't really require skill, and neither does writing annoying 1st-world problem whiners.

Successfully making annoying stereotypical characters doesn't correspond to successfully making the book pleasurable to read. Focusing solely on characters that I wished would vanish from the narrative inevitably led to me wishing that I myself was done with the narrative.

Making characters I 'love to hate' or better yet 'hate to love' is an accomplishment. Making characters I hate and also derive no enjoyment from hating is a failure of entertainment, though I will say the book is not entirely unentertaining. It is almost entirely the fault of the grey wretches of the cast that the book falters, but without them I think there are some other virtues by which it may be buoyed upward.

Ignoring entertainment, on the front of any alleged 'education' the book may provide, if 'the point' is that
>>7776858
>"No matter how fantastic magic is, it can never be truly fulfilling."

well frankly, I'm unmoved by such a statement, both in utility, and in truth, and in beauty.

Magic is made up, so making sweeping statements about 'magic' is laughable. But ignoring the letter for the spirit, a fair message could be 'power is not innately fulfilling' or 'achieving desire does not free one from desire.' But the unfulfilled, yet powerful individual is neither an original concept, nor one that exists in an intriguing form in these books. In fact, I rather think the treatment of the concept is too limited by a lack of vision and a certain obliviousness on the part of the author as to their own cultural morass. 'A literal God for a moment' is inconsequential? Quentin feels a void in his life? Those sounds like his problem, and by 'his' problem, I mean 'a particular feckless, small-minded, and regrettably popular worldview sold to modern young adult audiences in an attempt to make money from the middle-brow consumers, whose wallets are resistant to low-brow media sensation.'

It's not dreadful, but I don't think it's anything new or challenging at all. It stands tall in the crowd, it's true, but it mistakes height for flight, while it is just as ground-bound as the rest of the pedestrians.
>>
Fuck off back to imgur with your genre-fiction garbage.
You would only have to have been on here for a year to know that the I increase of all these pleb threads coincided with that imgur post.
>>
>>7776780
>>7776786

AW SHIT THE GOD RAPE
Just read it, holy shit
It all makes sense now
>>
He's a bad writer
>>
>>7784359

How come?
>>
>main toon
Is this a book based on an MMO?
>>
>>7780544
TC is fine senpai, nothing to worry about. It's generally quite well recieved here.
>>
>>7785146

But why would it be called shit?
What are the faults with it?
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.