[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone have any recommendations for good literary/philosophical
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3
File: photo.jpg (74 KB, 512x511) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
74 KB, 512x511
Does anyone have any recommendations for good literary/philosophical Youtube channels and podcasts?
>>
School of Life, I guess. Videos are about 6 min. so it's very brief when explaining different philosophers. I like watching it when I need a reminder of who thought what.

they have relationship videos (the one I saw was like "why your relationship failed") which make the creator sound like a forever alone perma virgin.
>>
>>7775364

Don't get trolled.

Also, PEL is amazing but their videos are a little too long to get over in my commute (and I hate stopping mid way).

History of philosophy by Peter Adamson is really good too, definitely check it out if you are interested in philosophy and especially in starting with the Greeks.
>>
I love PEL, also on the lookout for anything similar to those podcasts. Do any other philosophy podcasts compare? Particularly interested in Stoicism, Cynicism, Epicureanism and Buddhist philosophy.
>>
>>7775364
>School of Life
Literally sect tier.
>>
Dr. Sadler
>>
bbc's free thinking is decent
>>
File: gaia-in-winter.jpg (143 KB, 655x655) Image search: [Google]
gaia-in-winter.jpg
143 KB, 655x655
>>7775354
check out some meshuggah lyrics

http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/meshuggah/obzen.html#9

Mushroomhead, Lamb of God, & Godflesh are all very poetically crafted lessons as well. Before this crew you pretty much got Pantera worth the 2 cents of salt ya daddy was too busy getting cucked to teach ya.
>>
>>7775900
Good /lit/ humour is best humour.
>>
In Our Time > all
>>
Crash Course just started their philosophy channel. It's not by John Green, so it's actually pretty good.
>>
>>7776576
>>7776576

I sincerely hope this is a troll.

If you guys are less than exceptional teenagers in highschool, then your attention span is probably low enough for the videos to be good for you (not even being sarcastic, I know a lot of people who, as much as they like to claim they enjoy philosophy because of how "interesting" thought experiments like the brain in the vat one tend to be when you just lick/rub your dick against the surface, wouldn't be able to read more than 3 pages of Kant without dozing off).

Anything else and you should be watching or listening to something more intensive.
>>
>>7775354
"The Geeky Blonde". You can fap on her older videos.
>>
>>7775364
This. SOL is the best channel for what you're asking.

I highly recommend their content to anyone interested in philosophy/history.
>>
>>7775629
>>7775676
What is PEL?
>>
>>7777132
Profoundly Engorged Labia
>>
>>7776836
Posts like these are just an extension of the thought process that gatekeeping nerds have when they find out people like the same things they do.

Kind of like how people who get all upset about ebooks vs physical books are in essence the same nerds that get all tied in a knot over PC vs console debates.
>>
Maybe read a fucking book instead
Our society is so fucking lazy they would rather listen to podcasts with half assed attempts at explaining ideas than read books which explain these ideas with far greater detail
Really sick of all these podcast wikipedia pseudo intellectuals
>>
>>7777232
Some people have a job, some people need to commute.
Also, some people actually go to the gym.

Honestly, the fact that you would even try to put down podcasts showcases both how stupid you are and how you live life.
>>
>>7776143
That's the correct answer
>>
>>7776143
yep always has top class academics and melvyn braggs cosy voice rather than brash americans
>>
>>7777338
>Some people have a job, some people need to commute
So you're sacrificing actual education for a pseudo education.
>Some people actually go to the gym
If you work out for more than an hour and a half every day you're a fucking moron and you're doing it wrong. That gives you plenty of time to read.
>Honestly, the fact that you would even try to put down podcasts showcases both how stupid you are and how you live life
I live my life by not barely paying attention to the words of a bunch of pseuds while I drive my car to work every morning. Tell me, do you take notes while you listen to podcasts? I'm almost positive you don't since you said you need to commute and that's probably when you're listening to these podcasts. In college, did you just sit there like a dumbass while your professor spouted words? I'm going to assume you didn't unless you failed out of university. So why the fuck would you think it's okay to just half heartidly listen to people discussing half baked concepts over your car's speakers without taking notes? I guarantee you're forgetting 90% of what you're listening to. It honestly just because white noise past a certain point. You're probably better off listening to Merzbow on your commute instead.
Listening to Podcasts is great for maintaining the illusion of intelligence and progress.
>>
>>7777693
*becomes white noise
>>
>>7777693

yeah i want a bit of interesting background talk for my commute or while i iron some shirts, you're assuming people think this is replacing engaged learning - which is an idiotic logical leap
>>
>>7777726
>you're assuming people think this is replacing engaged learning
People do though. If you don't do that then you're an outlier.
Are you telling me there aren't redditors out there right now spouting their idiotic ideas that they learned by listening to some shitty podcast or by reading a few paragraphs of a wikipedia page?
Because I've met dozens of these people at university.
This podcast/wikipedia fueled pseudo intellectualism loves to come out of college kids after they've had a few beers
>>
>>7777126
>>7775364
Jesus fucking Christ people, why is /lit/ so retarded?
Maybe you've never read philosophy, and that's alright, but don't watch School of Life assuming they can teach you anything about philosophy. SOL can, in fact, be damaging. This isn't a matter of pleb/patrician ways to learn philosophy. It's a matter of SOL oversimplifying a philosopher's work to the point where the video can't even serve as an introduction. They bend someone's philosophy to fit their agenda and often are shamelessly wrong about things. SOL is nothing but a glorified self-help channel and their viewers don't realize it since almost everyone of them actually needs self-help as the only reason they want to get into philosophy is to give meaning to their worthless existence.
School of Life doesn't teach philosophy, it teaches self-help using philosophers' throwaway statements on ethics.

I haven't listened to PEL yet. History of Philosophy is alright, but the emphasis really is on the 'history' part and not 'philosophy.' Green's Crash Course is just that: a crash course. It's not really that good, but can still serve as an introduction (as opposed to SOL). It's still in its early stages though, so we'll see.

To anyone interested in philosophy, here's how you do it: you get a textbook, and read it. You should get a grasp on the basics first and how philosophical thought has evolved over the years and how every major philosopher is connected and where everyone fits in every branch of philosophy. At this point you don't assume you actually know anything but the surface of anyone of them. You go through the books they've written and still don't assume you get them. It takes a lifetime to fully understand Plato. But that's alright, you still have the textbook knowledge to impress people.
Or you can watch youtube videos because you're probably a lazy fuck. (the people in this thread disgust me more than people who read pop science)
>>
>>7776836
tbqh kant is retarded familia
he's just a really smart loser virgin defending his shitty lifestyle and and (by Christianity influenced) beliefs
>>
>>7777693

>not retaining things through osmosis and being able to filter out unimportant information while absorbing important ideas

Hey man it's ok if you have to learn by copying out notes, that helps a big swath of the normal population learn, so good for you if that helps, but not all of us need that method. Try not taking notes, it's a good skill to work on, and eventually makes you a more efficient learner.

>thinking more than 90% of any given text or speech is worth remembering

Yikes...

also:>half heartidly
>>
this channel is more /his/ than /lit/ but what do you think of his commentary on the Iliad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aofPdMbXzUQ

sorry for advertising it i guess
>>
>>7777869
>Textbooks
Just read the primary material weakling. PEL is very good by the way.
>>
>>7777869
Pel is good, they all have philosophy phds iirc and call each other out on bullshit l, though it's rare for any of them to talk out of their ass
>>
>>7776143
Is this supposed to be LibertyInOurTime?

Names of last five uploads
>Putin: Key player in New World Order
>Putin: Defender of Christian Faith and
Morality?
>China Staking Claim in the New World Order
>Putin's East vs Globalist West: Merging into a New World Order
>Pacific Commander Warns China Not to Impose New Air Defense Zone

Recommended Channels
>some Ron Paul shit
>Austrian Economics shit
>Liberty, Rebel, Liberty

Are people really this lost? I bet you call yourself redpilled too, don't you?
>>
>>7778309
No in our time with melvyn Bragg you numpty

Last few on Dutch East India company, Mary magdalene, rumis poetry and Robert hooke
>>
Academy of Ideas
Eric Dodson
Hubert Dreyfrus's one million lectures on Heidegger
The new Crash Course philosophy videos, inb4 reddit, who cares
School of Life has a couple of alright things but mostly not great and a bit condescending
Otherwise type in the philosopher/idea you want to know more about and there is usually a lecture or video on them
>>
I've heard a lot of good philosophies from modern day PUA. You want to follow good ethics so you can be a free of unwholesome qualities in order to attract the "lady of your dreams".
>>
>>7777926
>but not all of us need that method
A big fucking majority of the population does like you said. That's great if you do you're lying though. I'm talking about the majority of people who listen to podcasts.
>half heartidly
Nice pedantry. Not surprising coming from someone who thinks he's actually retaining information from podcasts kek
Also,
>thinking more than 90% of any given text or speech is worth remembering
I said you won't remember 90% of what you're listening to.
Nice job completely misunderstanding what I said. That's typical of someone who doesn't read though.
That's embarrassing. I'm really hoping you're baiting with this.
>>
>>7777132
Partially examined life.
>>
>>7777232
This is exactly how I feel about people who watch Lets Plays
>>
>>7779504
Underrated
>>
>>7779218
Are you trolling?

I understand the previous poster might have annoyed you since, well, he was being kind of a dick (the one who said your opinion of podcasts reflects on your lifestyle).

Fact is though, people can usually absorb information from podcasts, especially in tasks where all that is occupied is their hands and a bit of their attention.

I take a daily jog or walk and I enjoy listening to Peter Adamson talk about the Greeks, it would be the same as if he was walking next to me, lecturing me as we look out into the greenery.

Mostly everyone listens to podcasts in times like these.

>So you're sacrificing actual education for a pseudo education.
commuting to work and fitness are indispensable parts of life.

>If you work out for more than an hour and a half every day you're a fucking moron and you're doing it wrong.
Most podcasts are not more than one hour in length, you can easily listen to them while working out.

>forgetting 90% of what you're listening to. It honestly just because white noise past a certain point
No, it doesn't and you don't usually forget what you listen to in a podcast, just like you wouldn't forget what you'd listen to a friend say about philosophy. Most podcasts are well aware of the attention span people have to spare so they adjust the intensity of their content accordingly, they won't be as heavy as an actual lecture.
>This podcast/wikipedia fueled pseudo intellectualism loves to come out of college kids after they've had a few beers
I'm beyond college, and I don't usually see this.
Tbh, you have issues man, you seem like the typical tryhard intellectual who honestly dedicates his time to educating himself and gets extremely offended when other folks get acclaim for impressing people with (what you know is) half-assery.
Stop caring so much, jesus.
>>
File: waking_up_podcast.png (39 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
waking_up_podcast.png
39 KB, 550x550
>>
>>7780733
>just like you wouldn't forget what you'd listen to a friend say about philosophy
Bud. It's really cool that your brain is a fucking sponge that never lets go of any information, but most people aren't like that. I forget where my keys are half the time. I'd never forget where they were if I wrote down their exact location after dropping them. Get what I'm saying?
Yes you can remember shit by just listening to it (though its very difficult with something as dense as philosophy) but it's a whole lot easier to remember something if you write it down.
What happens with these pseuds I was talking about is they don't remember an entire concept because they didn't retain it very well so they fill in the gaps themselves. That's actually something everyone's brain does. The only thing I really don't like is when they try to pass if off as factual when it's not the case at all.
>Tbh, you have issues man, you seem like the typical tryhard intellectual who honestly dedicates his time to educating himself
>who honestly dedicates his time to educating himself
Wow what an asshole I am! Who would actually spend their time trying to educate themselves?
Do you know what board you're on? I'd recommend you go to r/podcasts or whatever the fuck the podcast subreddit is called because I'm sure they have one. This is a literature board. We like to "honestly dedicate" our time to educating ourselves.
>>
>>7780733
>I'm beyond college, and I don't usually see this.
You don't usually see it because you are it kek
>>
>>7779504
LPs are an example of interpassivity, while wanting philosophy in easily-digestible 5-min entertaining videobites is retardation.
>>
>>7775354

This place has a load of lecture series: http://www.openculture.com/philosophy_free_courses

Oxford has a few of its lectures online as well, this one on Kant is GOAT: (http://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/series/kants-critique-pure-reason)
>>
>>7777957
oh fuck you
have fun with pseudohistory you cunt
>>
>>7781191
get out of here, fucking cancer
>>
>>7777232
>Our society is so fucking lazy they would rather listen to podcasts with half assed attempts at explaining ideas than read books

How are both of those mutually exclusive?

People definitely don't learn as much from recorded teachings than they do from reading but that in no way implies they replace one with the other.

As numerous other folks have said, people like to listen to podcasts when their hands are literally being put to some other use.

I don't think one forgets too much of what they hear in a podcast but if you insist, let's assume that people do forget 90 percent of what they listen to.

They still retain 10 percent and with a subject as dense as philosophy, chances are that 10 percent itself is quite interesting.

This analogy has been used before but consider for example, that Mark Linsenmayer (an academic from U of T who is a part of PEL) comes up to you before you're about to head for a walk and says "hey bud, mind if I walk along with you and lecture you on these thoughts I had while reading the Leviathan, oh hey these two other academics I'm friends with would like to chime in too"
Would you respond with "yeah sure, but I'm not going to speak, I'll just listen" or would you say "nah, I'm good, I'd rather listen to music".
>>
>>7775364
What the actual fuck school of life is complete and utter trash
>>7777126
I assume this is bait
>>7777869
this
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.