[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Getting Into and Understanding Politics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: Politics.jpg (180 KB, 1100x1100) Image search: [Google]
Politics.jpg
180 KB, 1100x1100
Hey /lit/, I was wondering if any of you guys can suggest some books that can introduce me to politics and government. Anything you have that you want to suggest would be more than accepted even biography's of some famous politicians would be appreciated
>>
Find a right-wing professor who teaches American History at a college that you do not attend. Ask them if they could tolerate you sitting in on their lectures for a semester.
>>
>>7775236
literally Start with the Greeks.
>>
Btw your thread might get deleted, so heads up: the lot of political/gubernatorial study is dominated by _____ who will tell stories of people in attempts to make them up as either heroes or villains.
>>
File: Start_with_the_greeks.jpg (1 MB, 3672x3024) Image search: [Google]
Start_with_the_greeks.jpg
1 MB, 3672x3024
>>7775256
This picture ?
>>7775248
also could i actually do this or is this sarcasm
>>
>>7775258
I was worried about this. any way i can avoid hearing a biased opinion
>>
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Now_and_After:_The_ABC_of_Communist_Anarchism
>>
>>>/pol/
>>
>>7775259
I've heard you can do it; it wouldn't count for credits or anything, but its worth a shot, right?
>>
Bump for President Trump.
>>
>>7775259
Not even sarcastic.
if you want to understand politics you had best start with philosophy.
All politics is fundamentally based upon certain philosophical principles, such as the nature of man, goodness and the ideal state itself.

Socrates, Plato and Aristotle are the basic greeks, the others aren't so necessary, the most important of these three to read is Plato's ideal state.

Then the Magna Carta, or at least about it, then Aquinas and Hobbes.
Hobbe's Leviathan is the first early conception of the modern state and is very important.

Then basically most enlightenment philosophers, and you need to read about the Treaty of Westphalia.
The most important of the Enlightenment bunch would have to be Voltaire, Kant, Rousseau and Hegel.
Also educate yourself on the French revolution and the declaration of the rights of man.

Then John Stuart Mill, Marx and Proudhon. Some Bakunin if you are feeling radical.

Before finally you are left at the start of the 20th century, whereupon you can begin to research Fascism, Communism and Neo-liberalism.

And then you read some history until the fall of the Berlin wall.
>>
>>7775236
Read Aristotle's politics and the Republic. Then look into Machiavelli, and not just The Prince.
>>
>>7775236
https://youtu.be/lrk4oY7UxpQ?list=PL8dPuuaLjXtOfse2ncvffeelTrqvhrz8H
>>
>>7775236
Come on down to /pol/! We're the board of peace.
>>
File: 1418861046060.jpg (60 KB, 498x668) Image search: [Google]
1418861046060.jpg
60 KB, 498x668
Read this:
https://archive.org/details/rulingclass031748mbp
>>
>>7775256

This is a meme, don't do this
>>
>>7775355
>>7776007
>>7776796
>>7776810
>>7776849
Thanks for all the suggestions guys i will defiantly check these out

>>7775372
>>7776816
I did go to /pol/ but the thread got archived
>>
>>7776860
What would you suggest i start with then ?
>>
Its a tier kind of thing
Platos Republic/Atristotles Politics
Locke/Hobbes/Rousseau
Mill/Hume/
Marx
Rawls/Nozick
>>
Check out The Federalist Papers too.
Interesting discussions about what kind of government Burgerland should have.
>>
>>7776886
Would i just search up "The Federalist Papers"
>>
>>7776933
Look in the Great Books of the Western World. One volume has the Federalist Papers, U.S. Constitution, Articles of Confederation and the works of J.S. Mill.
>>
>>7776938
Awesome! Thanks for the suggestion
>>
don't go to /pol/, that's where you go if you don't want to understand politics
>>
>>7775236
A Conflict of Visions
>>
>>7776007
Pretty much this.
>>
>Republic – Plato
>Politics – Aristotle
>The Discourses, The Prince – Machiavelli
>Second Treatise of Government – Locke
>On the Social Contract – Rousseau
>"An Answer to the Question: What is Enlightenment?"; "Toward Perpetual Peace," "Ideas for a Universal History" – Kant
>On Liberty – J.S. Mill
>"The German Ideology," "Economic and Philosophical Manuscripts," The Communist Manifesto – Marx
>On the Genealogy of Morals – Nietzsche
>Dialectic of Enlightenment – Horkheimer and Adorno
>Adventures of the Dialectic – Merleau-Ponty
>"Hegemony and Forces of Relation," "Passive Revolution, Caesarism, Fascism," "Americanism and Fordism" – Gramsci
>The Structural Transformation of the Public Spheres – Habermas
>"What is Enlightenment?" "Power/Knowledge" "Nietzsche, Genealogy, and History," "The History of Sexuality," "Madness & Civilization," Discipline & Punish" – Foucault
These are the readings I've had to do for my undergrad political theory classes. You're obviously missing some key thinkers in this list (Hobbes, Rawls, etc.), but it should give you some starting point. My professor has a huge hard on for Merleu-Ponty and Habermas, so take these recommendations with that in mind
>>
>>7778444
>those trips
>that picture
Kek. I can easily picture people studying the picture a thousand years from now and talking about how he was dressed as a fictitious/mythological figure. Seriously though, that costume is hilariously foreign and familiar at the same time.
>>
>>7778522
>about how he was dressed as a fictitious/mythological figure

Not exactly wrong though.
>>
>>7778444
Tell me more. I want to learn from you.
>>
>>7778586
Just read those books and expand your own interests based on what you find interesting in your readings.
>>
History of the Peloponnesian War by Thucydides (or as I call him, Thucydtittes, or better yet, Third-titties), nigga. Then some gud'ol Plato.
>>
Thanks for all the suggestions guy. Really excited to read all of these
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.