[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /lit/, I need a book recommendation. I have to choose a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: 11.jpg (31 KB, 288x475) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
31 KB, 288x475
Hello /lit/, I need a book recommendation. I have to choose a contemporary novel, written by an author, who's a native speaker of the English language. The book has to be at least 200 pages, but not longer than 300-400. I need that for my classes at university, the last semester I chose A Million Little Pieces, but now I'm looking for a lighter novel. Mind it that it has to be a novel, not a collection of short stories, poetry, etc. My choice for now is The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but i'm not exactly sure if it is a good choice, so I'm open for any suggestions.
>>
>>7773147
>measuring books in pages
I only read books greater than 500 grams
>>
>>7773147
>choosing to read hitchhikers guide
>>>/reddit/
>>
define "contemporary"
>>
>>7773239
Kek your an asshole. I read the classics and shit like this. Thus I am more well read than you. Pleb.
>>
>>7773368
>reading Hitchhikers Guide
>uses the word pleb
>I-i read 'the classics' too, Anon!
jesus fucking christ could you get more r/4chan? Why even come to /lit/?
>>
>>7773375
Cuz you judgemental assholes make me laugh when you say shit like you just did. Zozzle
>>
>>7773368
So are you implying that if I ate horse shit and caviar, that and only that would make me a culinary expert?
What on earth is wrong with you.
>>
>>7773349
2010-now
>>
>>7773385
I'd be interested to know what the doodoo tasted like. Your ever so patrician anon. Your a true aristocrat
>>
File: 6634696[1].jpg (16 KB, 275x428) Image search: [Google]
6634696[1].jpg
16 KB, 275x428
>>7773391
well Hitchhiker's Guide doesn't fit that.

here's one that does.
>>
>>7773239
>>7773368
>>7773375
>>7773384
I was about to defend OP, but you're both massive faggots.
>>
>>7773239
People like you are my favorite meme on this board.
>>
The real OP here. Can we get any actual suggestions? I'm not choosing a book to read for pleasure, this is for my classes, I have to read the book, then do book reviews, find different colocational patterns, semantic fields, do presentations and cancer like that. That's why I want it to be fairly short, because if it is like 1000 pages, I'll have to do much more work. It can't be a classic,it has to be written and published after the second world war, that's what my teachers mean by "a contemporary novel". Also thank you to the one person who actually suggested a book.
>>
>>7773433
those are 4 different IPs, friendo
>>
The real OP here. Can we get any actual suggestions? I'm not choosing a book to read for pleasure, this is for my classes, I have to read the book, then do book reviews, find different colocational patterns, semantic fields, do presentations and cancer like that. That's why I want it to be fairly short, because if it is like 1000 pages, I'll have to do much more work. It can't be a classic,it has to be written and published after the second world war, that's what my teachers mean by "a contemporary novel". Also thank you to the one person who actually suggested a book.
>>
>>7773475
Phil K Dick might be fun, Ivan Chonkin, possibly? if you like that sort of thing, I mean, for uber simple shit, something reddit-y, like terry pratchett, Kurt Vonnegut stuff, Heinlein stuff, you could do V., American Psycho...

if you want to do something so fucking drop dead easy that you can shit all over and feel satisfied that you're doing god's work by doing so, pick up Dirty Job by christopher moore. you will LOVE to shit all over that book. I promise.
>>
>>7773499
> Pratchett
Cut it out right now or be forced to reddit
>>
>>7773480
Well then, fuck me I guess.
>>
>>7773499
Those are some solid suggestions, dude, thanks! I might go with Dirty Job or American Psycho honestly.
>>
>>7773147
Anything by Bukowski or Hemingway

or is Hemingway too old for the assignment?

anyways, both are good but easy to read. I read all of Ham on Rye in one sitting yesterday.
>>
So Long, and Thanks For All the Fish (fourth one) is the best of the trilogy. Hitchhiker's Guide is barely a prologue.

If you want something from the Guide series, do either Restaurant at the End of the Universe or the aforementioned best of the series.
>>
>>7775800
>So Long, and Thanks For All the Fish (fourth one) is the best
Please please please be a troll.
>>
>>7773475
Stone.
>>
>>7775803

What?
>>
>>7775810
It's the worst one by far.
>>
>>7775811

Reasoning?
>>
>>7775820
It (almost) doesn't have any jokes and Adams isn't good enough an author to make a novel about a romantic relationship interesting.
>>
>>7775827

Are you kidding? It had the Rain God, Arthur finding his "cave," and an actual satisfying ending for Marvin.

The point of Fenchurch was not romance. It was Arthur getting a taste of normalcy and potential happiness before having it ripped away with no explanation because he decided to delve back into hitchhiking.
>>
>>7775836
>The point of Fenchurch was not romance.
The author tells the reader explicitly that the book is for people that care about Arthur as a character tells you to skip most of the book of you don't.
>>
>>7775907
*and tells you
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.