[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has /lit/ set aside their $550 for the ultimate writing tool?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 6
Has /lit/ set aside their $550 for the ultimate writing tool?
>>
>what is a pencil
>>
>>7772800
What's the benefit over a cheap laptop that's a fraction of the price?
>>
>>7772800

Why not just buy an old typewriter. You can get a decent one for 20$ and restore it with minimal effort. Waste of money buying this imho. Consumerism at its worst.
>>
... just take all of my money! ! ! !
>>
>>7772806
Nothing. In fact it's worse since an old laptop (you can get refurbished Thinkpads for less than £100 on Amazon, or normal laptops for pence on sites like gumtree, or just speaking to a friend or relative) can then be customized and tweaked to suit your needs. Want MS Word? Keep the Windows OS they have and install it. Would rather a versatile text editor on a minimal install? Just spend a day sorting out a Debian/Arch install that has what you need.

What something that just puts letters in front of you and nothing else? >>7772809

I can't see what market this is appealing to.
>>
Or you could just turn off the wi-fi on your laptop.
>>
>>7772870
yeah, there's really no excuse not to get a cheap laptop instead.
>>
>>7772800
What is this device called?
>>
I have restored a typewriter and have a ThinkPad. The ThinkPad is much better and I'm not ashamed to have it around.
>>
>>7772910
junk. (hemingwrite)
>>
This is really preying on people's ignorance. Word processors from the late 80s and early 90s were not dumb machines that only put up pure text. A lot of them were very capable office environments that could handle all sorts of tasks. Their word processors and spread sheets were easily at the level of minimalist programs like Abiword or GNUmeric.

I'd actually welcome a return to those kinds of computers, but not like this.
>>
What a fedorable thing
>>
I write in notebooks and then type it up on my laptop.

For some reason I can't cut out the middle man (notebook); my thought process works so much better when writing.

Plus it means I can't get distracted so easily, as on the laptop.
>>
A decent headset, the appropriate music genres from Pandora, and OpenOffice.

Works super great for me. At home, I use my desktop. It has a 42" smart tv monitor, great for seeing my writing large.

At work, I have either my laptop (Lenovo Flex 3 14") or my tablet (Samsung Galaxy NotePRO 12.2) with the Bluetooth keyboard mount. They get connectivity with my Galaxy S6 hotshot if I decide to write in the park, down by the duck pond, surrounded by redwood trees.

The desktop and tablet I use for a bunch of other stuff, but the laptop's main function is a word processor, maybe a little bit of Netflix, Facebook, and 4chan. The laptop was the cheapest, at $599.
>>
>>7772949
This. The internet is just too much of a distraction. I've written 80 thousand words in one month by hand while it takes forever to get anything done on a computer.
>>
File: meatspin.gif (2 MB, 315x180) Image search: [Google]
meatspin.gif
2 MB, 315x180
>>7772809
manual typewriters can be a physical challenge to use, but more importantly, this thing leaves you with a digital version of the text rather than a paper version, which is more convenient to carry and to, like, submit around and copy and stuff.

that said, anyone who hates writing so much that they can't do it on a laptop for more than 10 minutes without getting distracted is probably not going to do any better with this thing. certainly not $550 worth of better.
>>
>>7773013
>that said, anyone who hates writing so much that they can't do it on a laptop for more than 10 minutes without getting distracted is probably not going to do any better with this thing. certainly not $550 worth of better.

Exactly this. Plus, Pandora doesn't work offline. Hurr durr.
>>
>>7773013
>anyone who hates writing
what a dumb meme. even accomplished writers like franzen and zadie smith have whined about how difficult it is to write on a computer without being distracted.
>>
>>7773064
IIRC that's even the reason that Will Self uses a manual typewriter. He tried to use a computer (an Amstrad I think, so some time ago) and still found himself being distracted even with that simple computer.

Besides, it's not always the OS, or the internet, but things like the fan, that can be distracting.
>>
File: TwiggyLaugh1.gif (773 KB, 245x138) Image search: [Google]
TwiggyLaugh1.gif
773 KB, 245x138
>not dictating your writings to your mom
>>
>>7773064
It is difficult, but it won't be less difficult if you buy this thing. Computers are armed with a lot of distractions. So is everything else in life. If you're getting distracted while writing, it's not because the distractions are so powerful, it's because writing is hard, and doing something hard makes you susceptible to distractions. The people who made this thing are trying to trick you into thinking that you'll be buying a $550 writing machine that will solve all your motivation problems, but that's not what will happen. What I said wasn't supposed to be an indictment of people who get distracted.
>>
>>7772809
isn't screenwriting the only real writing form that needs a typewriter nowadays though
>>
>>7773099
Contemporary screenwriting is done with software buddy
>>
>>7772949

I do this, too. When I write something out by hand if just feels like I'm taking more care with the words I use. I can't think more than a sentence or two ahead when physically writing so there's a greater aspect of discovery in the craft.
>>
>>7773013
I can copy massive swathes of text from my notebook to my laptop and edit them there, but actually writing first drafts of anything other than outlines or queries on my laptop always takes too long because I inevitably get distracted by some shit online.

I do agree that this thing is garbage, but computers are terrible for writing because of all the distractions they offer. When you're just sitting in front of a notebook with a pen it's a lot easier to focus. Also typewriters are for hipster faggots and old people who got used to them to the point of not wanting to deal with anything else.
>>
>>7772805
>Pencil
>he needs to write more than once
Only the best writers use a pen.
>>
>>7773112
That's not really the issue. Pencils suck if you're writing by hand because you have to keep sharpening them and that's an unnecessary distraction. And mechanical/lead pencils are too brittle. Writing with a pen is just a lot smoother.
>>
>>7773112
>doesn't use chisel and marble
pleb.
>>
>>7773128
>doesn't write with the colors of the wind
>>
>>7773127
>sharpening a pencil is too distracting and lead pencils are too brittle
autism senpai
>>
>>7773085
You could still buy a chromebook/ultrabook/whatever they're called now for about half the price of this. And since all you need is a minimal linux install with some text editor on top to match it, then there's no reason to get a Freewrite.

Those laptops are so thin now that you can even just sit your keyboard over the top of the front of it, and use that rather than the built in one.
>>
>>7773153
Not really. Those are practical concerns. When I really get into it I write fast and hard to the point where I know pencils would snap if I tried using them. And pencils don't glide over the paper the way pens do. It's just not the same at all.
>>
>>7773139
>Doesn't dictate everything to a scribe
>>
>>7772800
I would actually understand all of this if the device looked genuinely good. If it has a simple, sleek design and gave the impression of being a professional tool rather than a plastic toy.
>>
notepad
>>
>>7772937
I actually have something like this. Its cool writing on but I end up just using my computer anyway
>>
>>7773099
why do you think a typewriter is a better tool than a computer? lol
>>
Oh, you mean the digital typewriter? No thanks.
>>
>>7773342
>doesn't dictate all to the God above to etch upon the heavens
>>
you can get an alphasmart on ebay for like twenty bucks what the fuck
>>
>>7772870
>I can't see what market this is appealing to.
Pretentious people, just look at the pic in the OP. The man has a rucksack on but is carrying the thing around with the keyboard facing away with him. Just from this marketing image alone you can see whom this is appealing to: people who don't actually write but want people to think that they do.
>>
>>7773662
>>
>>7772800
>screen only seven inches
>screen completely flat instead of being raised to allow better viewing angle
What were they even thinking?
>>
>>7773669
he looks like a retard on some kind of retard computer
like he needs that thing to understand what sentences mean or something
>>
>>7773744
also forgot to add
>no lid/cover
>screen isn't e-ink
>shitty plain text editor, no office compatibility
T R A S H
>>
I can understand an attraction to manual typewriters. I don't understand this.
>>
Those who prefer typewriter like things to PC are hobby writers at best. Aside from "writing" per se, a lot of effort goes into composition, research, planning and organizing hundreds pieces of ideas and scraps of written text.

If you dont have pretty much database/mind tree/notepad double the size of book written with related material - chances are you are just writing worthless stream of concious.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfbhcddyb8Q

Kill me.
>>
>>7773796
Any writer before the 1980s confirmed for hobbyist.
>>
I thought this board was into conspicuous consumption.
>>
>>7773802
>Those who prefer typewriter like things to PC
>>
>>7773802
No, they did their research and many spent many years writing, having countless notebooks and drafts.

Though, starting 18th century, making publishing works and writing tools more available - a lot were just as shit as now.
>>
>>7773796
Laptops with mechanical keyboards are expensive.
>>
>>7773669
It boggles my mind that people like this exist. How can you go outside wearing that and think you are representing yourself and not perpetuating a fad? Everything about him screams that he's desperate to be perceived as original and sophisticated but he's a walking stereotype. Not only that, but who can write outside with distractions like that unless they just want people to see them writing? I need to be alone in the dark to do anything worthwhile
>>
>>7773799
>nu-males: the video
>>
>>7773877
come up with some new meme descriptions please
>>
>>7773867
Looks aside, writing outside is actually great (at summer at least)
>>
>>7773898
lol nu male detected
>>
>>7772893
they say the battery life is insane, like a week on a charge, which is a big selling point

but that's just devil's advocacy. that price is not justifiable in any event.
>>
>>7773917
I'd rather just have an e-ink laptop honestly
>>
>>7773799
The guy kind of got BTFO with the phone thing. Makes it sound like the whole 'distraction free' thing will only work if you leave your phone at home and take the hemingwrite somewhere outside but then you're still faced with distractions unless you find somewhere that's very quiet.
>>
>>7773926
>e-ink laptop
what
>>
>>7773639
>isn't the Word
>>
File: 1457125436821.jpg (462 KB, 1050x1080) Image search: [Google]
1457125436821.jpg
462 KB, 1050x1080
>>7773669
>>
>>7773908
>>7773989
I think the real failure of /pol/ is how boring in the end it all is.
>>
>>7772915
gross
>>
>>7773974
>is
>>
>>7774006
yeah you should go write a catty blog post about it on your macbook air
>>
>>7773799
This mentions the important aspect of an e ink display and a mechanical keyboard (the latter is somewhat apparent of course). Both of these are advantages over laptops or digital typewriters that I'm aware of. Arguably the wlan too although I personally don't care.
It looks like garbage though.
>>
>>7773989
Thank god for that post.
>>
>>7774011
it's a bad thing to be the Word? you know that is God, right?
>>
>>7774006
All boards are boring, /pol/ as opposed to /lit/ is at least an active board and it can give you a few chuckles from time to time

the ones who take /pol/ too seriously are the ones who doesn't browse it
>>
Unless this thing isn't electronic there's no purpose.

I could see the use of a type writer if you were really into the idea of going full-hermit mode, moving up North or out innawoods and writing in solitude. But even then there are plenty of laptops with crazy long batteries, and ways of generating a charge for them via solar or crank.
>>
>>7773112
>he needs to write more than once
you're retarded
>>
>>7774014
see?

i'm sincerely laughing at how banal and trite and stereotypical they are
>>
>>7773796
>If you dont have pretty much database/mind tree/notepad double the size of book written with related material - chances are you are just writing worthless stream of concious.

No. If you don't have that chances are you aren't autistic. Because while an outline and some other suplementary stuff helps a lot, taking it to the level where you write more of it than the thing it's supposedly for, is more of a waste of time than anything. At that point it's like you're afraid of actually writing and are stuck on writing about your writing as a way of avoiding it.
>>
I write straight to my surface :^) fight me faggots.
>>
>what is a laptop
>>
>>7773900
Yeah, I like writing outside when the weather doesn't suck. Though I don't dress up like a hipster stereotype or use faggy things like this overpriced paperweight. Is the idea of a pen and notebook really so alien to these people that they have to come up with shit like this?
>>
>>7775007
surface 3 is fucking perfect. just turn off your wifi and have some self control
>>
>>7774038
Why would anyone actually go to /pol/ when you autists make a point of shitposting on every board?
>>
>>7772800
looks gey
>>
>>7772800
>hemingwrite
looks fucking disgusting.
>>
>>7773900
>writing poetry under a blossoming tree in spring by the pond

Japs had it right t.b.h lads
>>
>>7772937
they're still like 400-500 bucks so why not get that thing in the op
>>
>>7775429
Because those things are probably about 20 bucks now.

You can even get new ones from manufacturers like Brother for about 200.

Or just cut out the middle-man and get an old manual typewriter that will las you your entire career.
>>
>>7775470
Why the fuck would you actually want a typewriter in this day and age? Seriously, what kind of knobhead sits there clacking away for no good reason like that?
>>
>>7775496
Because they don't want a computer, for any number of reasons (noise, screen brightness, whatever) but have awful handwriting, or can't comfortably write longhand?
>>
>>7775501
Awful handwriting has never stopped me. There's no valid reason to not just write in a notebook or a binder with looseleaf sheets, or even the weird index card approach Nabokov took if you don't want to deal with a computer. If you can type, you can use a fucking pen.
>>
>>7775527
>f you can type, you can use a fucking pen.

Not true. Someone who has shakes can type but not write.

Besides, what does it matter to you? Computers aren't the final step of composition. I doubt Brunner was getting mad at people using a pen when he was using his typewriter.
>>
The best writing tool, in my opinion, is being stuck in a place with no electricity. Say, you're in a farm or a cabin in the woods, and the power goes out. You have candles, a pen/pencil and paper.
Sooner or later, when you get bored, you can try sitting down and just writing without any result in mind. Many great books were written this way.
>>
>>7775551
>Someone who has shakes can type but not write.
That makes absolutely no sense. If your hands are spazzing out like that, you're going to hit a bunch of wrong keys so you can't do either in that condition.
>>
>>7775527
a big issue for me is getting distracted and opening /lit/ while I'm trying to write, but I still much prefer typing.
>>
>>7775571
Typewriter keys are harder to press than computer keys.

What is your illogical hatred of people using typewriters rather than any other method? Are you equally as annoyed by people using text editors? If not, why not? Because they're "modern"?
>>
If that thing didn't look like a toy I would be tempted.
>>
I was excited for a second because i thought op was posting some mechanical keyboard that hooks up via blue tooth to your phone.

Id like a light weight sturdy bluetooth keyboard to use with my phone
>>
>>7775527
The average human produces 30 words per minute by handwriting. A somewhat trained keyboard typist can easily go up to 50 to 80 words per minute. You'll only be able to be as fast as typing if you use shorthand. Personally handwriting is also more tiring to me. And in the end you have to type everything in anyway or are you going to send in your shorthand notes? If someone doesn't get pleasure or creative flow out of handwriting I don't see why they can't cut out the middleman and write on a keyboard.

Since a lot of alternatives have been brought up already. Is there something cheaper and maybe even less ugly that has the following:
>mechanical keyboard
>e ink display
>easy access to what you're writing (wlan, bluetooth, ports)
>long battery life
>portable
>>
>>7775571
what is spellcheck
>>
>>7775850
alphasmart

but it doesn't have e-ink, afaik
>>
>>7775850
If only there were cheap e-ink screens in the market with easy to use drivers I would build myself something like that with a raspberry pi. Is one of my dreams right now.
>>
>>7775950
>one of my dreams right now.
For me as well. We have lame dreams.
>>
Motherfuckers.

ALl you fucking need is a goddamn pen, and some goddamn paper tht doesnt have chicken scratches all over its bitch ass,

all you faggots, spending 550 on this piece of garbage bullshit. are retarded as ballz.

sad af, my nigguh,

4 fucking real.

shit, homie
>>
>>7775950
How cheap are you thinking here? A quick google turns up lots of results and the prices seem fine. Especially if you don't need a big one.
>>
>>7775956
>ALl you fucking need
>ALI
>>
>>7775956
>doesn't read the thread
>>
>>7773112
>I don't revise my work lol
Write on, champ!
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.