[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to read the bible as a work of literature, I was hoping
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
File: bible.jpg (222 KB, 493x493) Image search: [Google]
bible.jpg
222 KB, 493x493
I want to read the bible as a work of literature, I was hoping you guys could help me out.

What is the best written English version of the bible?

What are the most beautiful or compelling books of the bible?
>>
ESV. King James is the most quoted but its overrated
>>
>>7771996
Oh, but this is mostly an aesthetic judgement. Just go to bible.com and see which one you personally like best. I'm more prone to the updated NASB but I'm of a minority on that
>>
>>7771990
Job, Proverbs, and Ecclesiastes are the best.
>>
Just pick any literal translation Bible that has all the books
>>
John, Romans, Revelations.
>>
read all of them
>>
>>7772002
I second the NASB as a believer and as a reader.
>>
>>7772004
>>7772011
solid recommendations but at least add Genesis -> Exodus, and Psalms (beauty).

I also suggest 1 John, Philippians, James, and Jude
>>
Genesis, Job, Psalms, Kings, Jhon, Revelations.

I really like KJV and I've read scholars say it is pretty good (sure, there are one or two issues, but overall it's accurate and really beautiful).
>>
>>7772899
>I've read scholars say it is pretty
no, it's objectively a shit translation and muh thous and arts don't make it "beautiful" you pleb
>>
>>7772942
I said scholars say it is pretty good. Guys like Michael Heiser (PhD in Hebrew Bible and Semitic Languages), for example.

And if you don't think the language is beautiful, ok. Read your supermarket bibles. I'm not the pleb here.
>>
>>7771990
nah
>>
File: 1448044380167.jpg (106 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1448044380167.jpg
106 KB, 1600x900
>>7771990

King James, it's not even a competition.

I don't care that newer versions are more accurate, or that its promoters fellate themselves all day to that fact.

There is truth in beauty, and beauty in truth; the KJV is by far the most beautiful in terms of language.
>>
>>7772942

>He prefers modern English

Wew.
>>
The Jehovah's witness bible is in contemporary language and is the most accurate bible translation. It also has pretty good notes
>>
File: St Augstine.jpg (104 KB, 720x451) Image search: [Google]
St Augstine.jpg
104 KB, 720x451
>>7771990

Start with the gospels first, though.

Otherwise the entire Bible gets outright out of context. But then again, there is a reason why early Christians didn't want you to read the Bible. It's an extremely complicated religious manual that requires tremendous discretion.

>St Augustine outright speaks against Creationism as early as fucking Roman Empire.
>Christianity is dead by Heresy at this point.
>>
>>7771990

To be honest, though, alot of the Old Testament is 'supposed' to count as Literature. At least before the Prosperity Pastors got to butchering it.
>>
>>7773001
Kek
>>
>>7773607
>there is a reason why early Christians didn't want you to read the Bible
*Catholics
>>
>>7771990
I'd say start with Genesis and Exodus.
>>
>>7774369
If you're going to post bait at least make it pasta relevant to the fucking thread. Nobody was arguing anything and that clearly didn't originate on this Kazakh crab fishing forum if it brought up "hacking into accounts."
>>
>>7771990
Douay Rheims is the best version
>>
>>7774368
>implying non-catholic/orthodox "denominations" are or have ever been relevant to true christianity
>>
>>7772899
It is a biased and shitty translation
>>
I've often tried to read the Bible as literature, but I would always catch myself reading it as holy writ.
>>
>>7773607
St. Augustine was a creationist. That quote you provide does not advocate evolutionism, it only warns against not talking about things you know nothing about.
>>
File: qurancover.jpg (28 KB, 545x393) Image search: [Google]
qurancover.jpg
28 KB, 545x393
>His """"holy""""" book can be translated
lmao
>>
>>7774659
> His God isn't able to inspire people to translate his holy book

Man your God surely sucks man..
>>
>>7771990
http://www.reddit.com/r/Catholicism/comments/1zs19d/best_bible/
http://www.reddit.com/r/Catholicism/comments/2648p6/which_version_of_the_bible_should_i_be_reading/
http://www.reddit.com/r/Catholicism/comments/1fj8c4/does_anyone_know_of_a_right_version_of_the_bible/
http://www.reddit.com/r/Catholicism/comments/1gsh0j/what_version_of_the_bible_do_you_your_church_and/

>inb4 leddit
It would take too much time for me to list out which version is best for which purpose. So go wild.
>>
>>7774422
Should they be read out of order? I have the King James version and I'm reading in the order they're presented, which is so far Genesis and Exodus.
>>
File: PopeBow.jpg (33 KB, 440x348) Image search: [Google]
PopeBow.jpg
33 KB, 440x348
>>7774450
>Implying Catholic and Orthodox doctrine doesn't directly contradict scripture and have to fall back on "tradition" as a loophole
>>
>>7774726
>It would take too much time for me to list out which version is best for which purpose. So go wild.
No it wouldn't.
>>
>>7771990
ESV is probably the best for both readability and accuracy. Job, Ecclesiastes, and Song of Solomon are probably the most enjoyable for someone who isn't a Christian. The New Testament books like Romans and Hebrews are basically sermons.
>>
KJV is the best translation, hands down.
>>
>>7774694
But the Qu'ran has been translated lmao what?
>>
>>7772953
i really hate when images do this because I try to see a way that the emphasized or 'highlighted' so to speak words connect as a unit unto themselves besides their usual context in the sentence and it never works. It's annoying. If it was italicized it'd be different but that awkward shit in font size and the manner in which it forces the paragraph to flow in such an abrupt and staccato fashion is bizarre and obnoxious.
>>
>>7775136
>implying most protestant demoninations even try to faithfully follow scripture and just erect idols in place of God cf. Calvinism etc.
>>
>>7775854
>Catholics in charge of calling out idol worshipers, despite removing the commandment that forbids idol worship
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.