[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: We write a modern Lovecraft story
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: H._P._Lovecraft,_June_1934.jpg (8 KB, 220x272) Image search: [Google]
H._P._Lovecraft,_June_1934.jpg
8 KB, 220x272
ITT: We write a modern Lovecraft story
>>
>>7771409
His monsters were all metaphors for non whites taking over right?

Seriously though what are his best stories? I have only read Call of Cuthulu and Shadow over Innsmouth.
>>
>>7771480
No.
>>
>>7771510
He was racist tho

Good author regardless but he was racist
>>
File: worst-girl-smug.jpg (226 KB, 560x577) Image search: [Google]
worst-girl-smug.jpg
226 KB, 560x577
>>7771519
>implying there is anything wrong with being raciss
>>
>>7771579
>implying I was implying that

Just saying he was
>>
>there will never ever EVER be another Lovecraft thread without tumblrs, trolls, and /pol/tards shitposting ad nauseum

I hate you all
>>
>>7771596
What's his best story?
>>
>>7771596
Lovecraft is boring
>>
>>7771409
i guess the modern equivalent might be like a codemonkey working for the government stumbling on an AI within the government thats able to hide within the bureaucracy?

i dont know its kind of hard to recontextualize authors, in reality a modern Lovecraft would probably be aliens, the only necessary component is that the human brain fails to comprehend the other, whatever it is
>>
>>7771589
Then why did you use 'but', you mouth breathing faggot? Stop contradicting yourself
>>
>>7771598
Mountains of madness for world building.
The terrible old man for atmosphere
Shadow over innsmouth for story

Nothing for prose ;_;
>>
>>7771409
>be me
>browsing /x/
>reading shitty pasta
>most unimaginative drivel I've ever read (and I've read The Alchemist)
>decide to write my own
>it involves eldritch horrors and the void
>suddenly the ghost of some paranoid Brit appears before me
>"fuck u m8"
>fuck the Brit ghost in the mouth
>cum buckets
>semen drips down the vent into my sister's pussy
>incest baby is indescribably void horror
>her cuck of a boyfriend still raised him
>he goes on to become my grandfather
>knowledge of this paradox drives me insane
>raped to death by psyhic ghouls and mind rats
>>
Pacific Rim
Wow that was easy
>>
>>7771604
Or a geologist from miskatonic u. Stumbling upon a horrid feeding pit in the Arizona border territories where cartels have been feeding an unholy beast day laborers for his secretions which create an unholy stupor.
>>
>>7771599
>said the man with no taste.

>>7771604
Aren't his creatures already kinda aliens? I mean it's specifically said Cuthulu comes from the stars. Calling them gods was just how people viewed them I think.

Codemonkey idea sounds kinda interesting desu, discovers an AI is actually running everything and there's some secret cabal working with it. Things like that have been doing but you know doing it good could be cool.
>>
>>7771620
That could be cool too. Everyone seems to think his style of monster stories wouldn't fly in our modern skeptical world but we're still plenty scared of each other.

People would eat up a story about drug cartels or terrorists worshipping some horrible beast imo.
>>
"At least I voted for kodos!"
>>
>>7771604
Might b cool

Oh, you know what people are scared of in the modern world? Control.

Give me an eldritch thing like a horrible puppeteer, a sick and insidious thing that gets inside your head and your heart and makes you a thing like itself, a thing that isn't, a thing that shouldn't.

Give me a horror just this side of comprehensible, that seems rational, reasonable, even safe. Let it be a thing you allow in, bit by bit, and the more you learn of its true nature, the less you try to escape, because it's inside you now.

Give me a beast that consumes, subsumes, annihilates. Make it so you can't tell where we end and IT begins

i always did wonder what the cultists' deals were anyway...
>>
>>7771680
So, captitalism

or any ideology, really
>>
>>7771702
I was actually thinking about authoritarianism when I wrote that

but yeah
>>
>>7771620
OK how about this, a young DEA agent fresh out of the academy or whatever is disappointed to find that his first assignment is a small border town with an extremely low crime rate.

He's upset he may not see much action or get to bust many bad guys but reasons that doing well in this assignment may secure him a transfer to somewhere like Juarez where he can really show his worth.

Upon arriving in the town he feels there's something wrong. The air's different, the people don't look quite right, typical Lovecraft stuff and like a typical Lovecraft hero he shakes it off.

He befriends a local store owner who fills him in on the towns history and how things haven't been the same since the old mine shut down. Since then more and more people seem to be disappearing.

Hero reasons that he means leaving town due to lack of work but there was something odd about how he said it and he refuses to take more questions about the mine.

He asks around to other people and discovers that the cartel became more active around town around when the mine shut down, makes sense less work = more crime and he can understand why people may not wanna talk about it but still their intense discomfort when asked about the mine or the cartel stands out to him.
>>
>>7771725
Already done. Twice (just without DEA). And both were good stories.
>>
>>7771732
well, post them, then, asshat
>>
>>7771725
The next day his shopkeeper friend is gone. Just vanished and everyone acts like its normal and refuses to discuss it. He reasons that cartel crime is actually being massively under reported in the town and people are too scared to cone forward.

Thinking he's discovered something that will make his career he launches an investigation even though even local police and others from his agency tell him not to.

Eventually he discoveres something horrible in the mine that the cartel members are sacrificing towns people too and has to run away for his life.

After a narrow escape he writes his story knowing they may still come for him to ensure some record survives even if he doesn't.
>>
>>7771732
That's not surprising. I know its not very original in fact its pretty by the book following Lovecraft's own formula but still I think it shows his style can still work.

People would eat up a story like that. I think you just can't put a made up global secret cult in anymore its gotta be a group people are already afraid of.
>>
>>7771759
Of the recent mythos additions, there are works that do play on modern fears of brown people. They're not very good, and attempts to make Lovecraft's style relevant using those conventions just seem to be really shit.
>>
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to recognize other races.

While glimpsing inquiries and press cuttings collected by my recently departed uncle, I came across a statue. It seemed to be a sort of monster, or symbol representing a monster, of a form which only a diseased fancy could conceive. If I say that my somewhat extravagant imagination yielded simultaneous pictures of an elephant's trunk, a lion's mane, and a human caricature, I shall not be unfaithful to the spirit of the thing. A pulpy, frizzy head surmounted a grotesque and ashy body with rudimentary brains; but it was the elephantine appendage dangling from the middle of its legs which made it most shockingly frightful.

The statuette, idol, fetish, or whatever it was, had been captured some months before in the wooded swamps south of New Orleans during a raid on a supposed voodoo meeting; and so singular and hideous were the rites connected with it, that the police could not but realise that they had stumbled on a dark cult totally unknown to them, and infinitely more diabolic than even the blackest of the African voodoo circles.

They worshipped, so they said, the Great Old Tribe of Shabazz who lived ages before there were any men, and who came to the young world out of the sky. That cult would never die till the stars came right again, and the secret priests would take great Cnigbhu from His tomb to revive His subjects and resume His rule of earth.

Later, on a vessel in the ocean pursuing the recondite Cnigbhu cult, I was reminded of a secret initiate's couplet from the Naegronomicon of the mad Arab Abdul Alhangblaks:

"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange negroes even whitey may die."

Something very like fright had come over all the explorers before anything more definite than rock and ooze and weed was seen. The odour rising from the newly opened depths was intolerable, and at length the quick-eared Hawkins thought he heard a nasty, slopping sound down there. Everyone listened, and everyone was listening still when It lumbered slobberingly into sight and gropingly squeezed Its gelatinous black immensity through the narrow doorway into the tainted outside air of that poison city of madness.

The Thing of the idols, the black-shacka-lacka-lack sticky spawn of the stars, had awaked to claim his own. The stars were right again, and what an age-old cult had failed to do by design, a band of innocent sailors had done by accident. After vigintillions of years great Cnigbhu was loose again, and ravening for delight.

I have looked upon all that the universe has to hold of horror, and even the virginity of white girls and the pleasure of white women must ever afterward be poison to me. But I do not think my life will be long. As my uncle went, so I shall go. I know too much, and the cult still lives.
>>
>>7771783
>implying his stories weren't playing on fears of brown people to begin with

Continuing his mythos exactly seems kinda silly and I don't see how you could add to it without turning it into something it was never supposed to be.

Seems like writers adding to it would inevitably try to make "good" creatures and "bad" creatures and its pretty clear that his take was that none of them were good or bad. They had shit going on people could hardly understand and we were just ants in the big picture.

Also adding more detail to things kinda takes away from the idea that people are barely even supposed to be able to understand these creatures.

I don't think you do a story with Arabs or Mexicans worshipping Cuthulu but you can do some kind of monster story with them that I think could be successful.
>>
yog soggoth ctulhu p´tahgn r´lyeh Miskatonic College degenerated niggers putrid vapors teke li li amirite
>>
>>7771810
The vast majority of Lovecraft's stories weren't based on fear of brown people you ignorant sack of shit. Try actually reading him instead of looking like a jackass.

In fact, the Lovecraft's tales that directly took on the themes of immigration were poorly received by critics in his time and ours, even those that enjoyed his work.
>>
>>7771837
It was a joke calm down. I don't really give a shit about his racial views. He wrote good stories that's all that matters.
>>
>>7771810
>>7771837
So yeah, leave the shitty fear mongering to Fox News, you stupid ass.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.