[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"Why do you spend your money buying physical books when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8
File: abstract feel.jpg (56 KB, 636x640) Image search: [Google]
abstract feel.jpg
56 KB, 636x640
>"Why do you spend your money buying physical books when you can just download them for free, anon?"
>"Even buying an e-reader is cheaper!"
How do you respond to this?
>>
"These are valid arguments, I bid you adieu"
>>
>>7766805

I like the convinience of just opening a book and flipping through the pages.
>>
They look good on my shelf.
>>
I like to shitpost on /lit/ making irrelevant threads instead of reading
>>
"Oh I use both :)"
>>
>>7766805
DRM
R
M
>>
File: Smug Syran.png (56 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Smug Syran.png
56 KB, 500x500
"I'm an analog guy in a digital world" *winks racistly*
>>
"But I'm a pseud, you see."
>>
File: w8qlyaxzakddgpx4bnuk.jpg (62 KB, 620x400) Image search: [Google]
w8qlyaxzakddgpx4bnuk.jpg
62 KB, 620x400
I just want to have the fucking book, man.
>>
>>7766862
good one
>>
I don't like reading off a screen for long periods of time
>>
I'd go on a defensive rant about why I prefer physical books to justify my materialistic obsession with buying books and displaying then on my shelf
>>
>>7766805
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.en.html
>>
>>7766859
>drm
>in the world of calibre

wew, misinformed

>>7766862
/thread
>>
Not reading anything and working 16 hour shifts on two jobs is even cheaper tbqh
>>
Why don't more people use libraries? Purchasing books at all seems like a waste of time desu
>>
>>7767557
I'm with ya anon. Seems like these plebs never fucked with the Dewey decimal system before.
>>
>>7766805
"I'm a traditionalist, I prefer the feel of holding a book and call it lame or hokey but I find there's a nice relationship you build with a book whilst reading it over time. Also, I like how it looks on a shelf and for posterity's sake, I'd love to build a collection that I could then pass on to my kids."
>>
>>7768016
you sound super gay. those are just really gay words to have in your mouth. and by gay i mean i'd tell you to fuck off because of how gay you sound
>>
>>7767557
Having a return/renewal date puts pressure on me to finish something in a certain amount of time and going back and forth to the library constantly is much more time consuming than buying books on Amazon.
>>
>>7768036
Half of this post makes sense.
>>
>>7768036
lets say a book costs 20 bucks, that's anywhere from 30-90 minutes of working. you're telling me you're saving more time from buying all those books than just going to the library a few times?
>>
>>7766805
I like the satisfaction of seeing my progress with a bookmark rather than just [pg. 458/530]
>>
>>7768047
Ever heard of disposable income?
>>
File: 1456810901334.jpg (29 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1456810901334.jpg
29 KB, 960x960
Since i started pirating books and reading on my phone ive been reading 150-200% as much as before.
>>
>>7768058
beside the point, unless you have a salary and not a wage
>>
>>7768062
I bought a paperwhite a while ago and found that I ended up reading less. Having thousands of books loaded on it to choose from I'd end up getting part way through a book and then starting a new one and rarely finishing anything. I guess it's different for everyone.
>>
>>7768062
I sincerely liked that song.
>>
Buying an ebook costs about the same as the physical version.
Only buy what I can't find online.
>>
>>7766805
I have a tic where I have to shuffle the pages on one side of book as I read. My hands get restless with an e-reader kind of thing.
>>
>>7766805
The act of handling a bound book has been associated since childhood with the processes involved in reading. Turning the pages is a physical corollary for absorbing information. And computers are utterly soulless.
>>
I like to read at night, before going to sleep and staring at a screen in the dark will just fuck up my quality of sleep.
>>
>>7768319

Do you have night vision? you can still turn on the lights to read from an e-reader
>>
File: Makishima.jpg (41 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Makishima.jpg
41 KB, 640x360
https://youtu.be/XNWE17GqibI?t=52s

pretty much like this. (yes I also watch anime, come at me)
>>
Honestly, using ereaders comes with great advantages. I can't get books in English in my country, and the translations vary in quality. If you pirate ebooks the ereader pays for itself after like 10 books.
>>
>>7768321
Doesn't change the fact that you're staring at an LCD screen, denying your body the ability to produce melatonin.

>inb4 piss filters to counter the blue light.

No thanks, I'll just stay with my comfy physical books and my leather bound collections.
>>
>>7768058

Yes, that's the stuff that goes into my savings account.
I'll never understand why everyone feel the need to spend money on useless things just because they can.
>>
>>7766805

I want something to pass on to my children
>>
>>7768371
>an LCD screen
>e-reader
anon, no....
>>
>>7768380
This
I hope they appreciate it
Even more, I hope they exist
>>
>>7767527
me too, senpai
>>
>>7768426
>he isn't anti-nat

I'm literally on the floor kicking my feet in the hair and laughing SO hard right now.
>>
I only buy books if I'm very interested in them and can't get them at the library, or if they're some huge favorite that I want to own. Short stories I often read on my computer.
>>
>>7766805

>How do you respond to this?

i don't like to annotate on an e-reader

wow that was hard
>>
>>7768051
i actually hid the progress meter on my ereader. there's something a little exciting in not really knowing how far in you are in or how much is left. admittedly, this is more exciting for mystery plot-based stuff but it's still an interesting experience that you can't get out of a physical book.
>>
>>7767557
My interlibrary loan system is SO bad. Its like a third tier private share agreement, and my library is funded by a private donation.

If I was in a major city or in a University network or part of SAILS it would be different. But im not.
>>
I would use the library but they're assholes. They blamed me for a missing CD and were complete jerks about it.
>>
I don't like going through the hassle of charging up a device and eventually having to deal with hardware failures down the line. Plus a lot of e-Readers force DRM shit on the consumer. Some services even delete books stored on your device due to conflicts with licensing.

I'm content with the satisfaction of having a copy of the book that I can grab off the shelf and read whenever I want, even during a power outage. Sure, I'm kind of limited on portability, but I don't normally feel any need to lug around 20 or 30 books with me when I leave the house.

Cost isn't a concern. I buy books used anyway, and it's usually years after their original printing.

On a similar note, I wish more books would opt for smaller print sizes for more portability.
>>
>>7769139
>Plus a lot of e-Readers force DRM shit on the consumer. Some services even delete books stored on your device due to conflicts with licensing.

Name one. The DRM statement is a straight lie, and Amazon deleted some copies of 1984 like 6 years ago. Nook and Kobo are ethically flawless. Thats it. My kindle is filled to the brim with pirated material and Amazon knows it since they send me advertising based on pirated books.
>>
>>7769149
>The DRM statement is a straight lie

wut?

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2010/10/09/the-ebook-drm-guide/
http://www.sirenbookstrand.com/customers/secureformats.htm
http://lifehacker.com/5954466/how-do-i-get-rid-of-the-drm-on-my-ebooks-and-video
>>
>>7769166
"a lot of e-Readers force DRM shit on the consumer"

does not mean

"Publishers put drm on ebooks prior to sale"

In the age of calibre plugins the latter is a brief second of annoyance if you are stupid enough to pay for ebooks but not one commercial ereader forces DRM on you, sideloading pirated books is a cinch on kobo nook kindle and sony products. The DRM statement is a straight lie.
>>
I collect books, most of my hardback first editions are rare and worth more than when I first bought them. Hopefully they will only increase in value.
I'm currently saving up for a signed first edition of 1984.
>>
File: 1443958097080.jpg (142 KB, 540x300) Image search: [Google]
1443958097080.jpg
142 KB, 540x300
>>7768371
>EREADER
>LCD
>>
File: Tfw no vapor.gif (2 MB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
Tfw no vapor.gif
2 MB, 750x750
Because I like being able to make footnotes/annotations/highlights/etc.

I actually study most of what I read in great detail; which sometimes spoils the magic, but that's what you get for studying linguistics.

Until E-Readers/Kindles/etc allow me to copy and paste on my laptop/etc, it's frankly far faster for me to use my physical copies.
>>
>>7768319
>>7768371
E readers using E ink don't emit light. They use spheres filled with tiny positively or negatively charged particles that are mo.ed to show the desired color (usually just black and white). For your eyes and the lighting of the book it's really not any different than looking at words written with traditional particles such as paper.
>>
>>7769358
>not using a tablet for this purpose
>laughing_pepes.jpg
>>
Information wants to be free, but books want to be on my bookshelf.
>>
>>7769373
never understood what was going on in my e-reader until seeing that picture. very cool.
>>
>>7766805
"FUCKING TREEFAGS REEEEEEEEEEEEE"
>>
>>7768374
>savings account

You don't have disposable income outside of your retirement or what are you saving for?
>>
>>7766815
This is fucking it. Why does no one get this. E-readers are so much less convenient to navigate. How is this not mentioned in every one of these arguments. (Unless it is and I just don't hang around here enough).
>>
>>7769393
Using a keyboard, especially a software one, to annotate is so much slower and clunkier than just writing it though.
>>
>>7771387
>This is fucking it. Why does no one get this. E-readers are so much less convenient to navigate. How is this not mentioned in every one of these arguments. (Unless it is and I just don't hang around here enough).

Because the feeling of paper is an extremely niche fetish.
>>
>>7766805
Fahrenheit 451 is my reasoning behind using physical copies. Afraid someone might wipe out all the digital or something similar
>>
You want the truth?

I like books, I like the way they feel, I like the way they smell, I like the fact I can physically collect them and have them for years to come, I like to know that they are mine, each page, each word, and each letter, all mine. Not just a few hundred kilobites on a computer that'll grow slow and broken in a few years.
>>
>>7767527
this
>>
>>7769358
>悲しい日の誕生
good album
>>
>>7767557
I prefere to have my own library at home
>>
>>7772676
新しい I mean
>>
You want the truth?

I like books, I like the way they feel, I like the way they smell, I like the fact I can physically collect them and have them for years to come, I like to know that they are mine, each page, each word, and each letter, all mine. Not just a few hundred kilobites on a computer that'll grow slow and broken in a few years.
>>
>>7766805

If I carry one book with me regularly then I stick to reading that one book and don't get distracted by starting another.

If I carried an ereader everywhere my reading would get too diffuse and I wouldn't focus on a single work.

I find that in my reading area at home I have about 4 books on the go whereas when I read away from home I only focus on one book at a time.

I know that's only a personal affectation and may not apply to everyone but it justifies why I haven't bought an ereader yet.
>>
Well, you can't actually find a lot of stuff in ebook form yet, and even those that are can be terribly formatted a lot of the time (and that even happens a lot if you actually buy a retail copy).

Publishers are still heavily focused on the actual print side of publishing, so ebooks are largely an afterthought.

It's also a lot easier to just purchase a specif edition/translation you want than actually trying to find it online some of the time.
>>
>>7767557
We don't all live near a decent library. My local is very poorly stocked and barely even has the really popular classics, let alone slightly more obscure.
>>
>>7767527

Same here
>>
>being so poor that buying books effects your finances in anyway
>>
>>7772849
>spending your money on assets that dont appreciate when there is a free alternative
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.