[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
le northern proust
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 5
File: smug karl.jpg (25 KB, 643x321) Image search: [Google]
smug karl.jpg
25 KB, 643x321
How can he remember so many details of his infancy? What he did, what he ate and what he was wearing in a particular day thirty years before. Could you, anon?

He has to be making up most of the book.
>>
>>7764820
>Could you, anon?
Of course.
>>
>>7764820
>How can he remember so many details of his infancy?

If you had read Proust and understood his distinction between voluntary and involuntary memory you'd know the answer to this.

Read more.
>>
>>7764840
I have read it, I'd just forgotten.
>>
>>7764820
>He has to be making up most of the book.
There's a reason it's sold as fiction.
>>
I'm a newfag, so I know I'm not ready for this yet, but I read the first couple pages on Amazon anyway, and even just that little thing about death and the heart shutting down and being invaded was fucking beautiful
>>
>>7764845
OK, since you're a pleb who doesn't read, I'll explain it.

Proust thinks we don't forget anything. It's all in our brains more or less permanently.

The problem is when we voluntary recall memory, we are always adding desire to the recollections, so they become blurred unreliable, and reflect more what we desire in the present moment than what actually happened.

But when we recall involuntarily, for example, when you trip on cobblestones in Venice, what comes to you is the memory as you lived it.

Now read Proust and read Knausgard.
>>
>>7764854
Tax reasons, right?
>>
>>7764854
It's described as autobiography everywhere
>>
>>7764876
No it's described as autofiction everywhere.

And I'm not a robot.
>>
>>7764854
>There's a reason it's sold as fiction.

Yeah, to avoid being sued by his pissed off friends and relatives.
>>
As an accomplished memoirist (currently working on the final installment of my six-part debut memoir) I also possess this ability, and judging by Knausgaard's work my own memory is far more profound than his. I can remember a mass of details about periods of my life wherein I was barely capable of speaking. I remember my own thought patterns (as under-developed as they were) and can trace my perspective of the world from extreme infancy to the point I currently occupy, existentially speaking, wherein I possess a great self-awareness which eclipses that of the majority of my peers. It's partly why I have so often been described as a "cold" and "distant" person by both my mommy and by the various females who have yearned for my attention, romantic and / or erotic, over the years. I remember everything which has ever been said to me, whether it was a casual attempt at wit by a sexagenarian bus driver (notice I do not describe the individual as "aged" or "elderly" here, both of which are terms reflecting socially-approved perspectives and definitions which are largely formed by the advertising agency, government demographers and so on) or a lengthy critique of my character and disposition by one of the several teachers who felt such a critique was necessary. I do not forget lightly those things I experience, and people seem to appreciate this within moments of meeting me, and are consequently rather intimidated by someone who possesses such a wealth of mental information and who will add every perception he (I) makes about the individual, including the words they speak, their bodily movements, their appearance, and so on, to that internal archive. Of course such a talent or capacity is by no means an easy thing to possess. The burden of my existence is far heavier, relatively speaking, than the burden impressed upon my peers. Like Kierkegaard I too am hunchbacked, but unlike him it is the weight of my genius, not poor physical health (my own body is without ailment and is extremely proportionate).
>>
>>7764858
Which is total bullshit and has no scientific basis at all.
>>
>>7764913
it's probably around half-right
>>
>>7764913
*tips*
>>
>>7764913
Which is why neuroscientists hate Proust!
>>
>>7764920
neuroscientists hate him! find out why!
>>
>>7764820
he literally is. it's a hybrid work of fiction and autobiography. this is commonly known information
>>
>>7764913
>muh empiricism
>>
File: ap993134830916.jpg (74 KB, 760x507) Image search: [Google]
ap993134830916.jpg
74 KB, 760x507
>>7764912
>>
>>7764920
that ugly sonnofabitch wrote an epic and you're at home jerking off to Pynchon... here's how!
>>
>>7764987
Read all of Proust (in french) and nearly all of Pynchon. Just have Against the Day and Vineland left.

You mad?
>>
>>7765012
Why would you boast on an anonymous board?
>>
>>7764912
Pasta in the making.
>>
>>7764876
It's a fictionalization. The events are real but the environmental/dialogue details are falsified or at least exaggerated.
>>
>>7764858
Jesus you just read half of swanns way and now you spam muh sikrit knowlidge ergo babby' madelaine proust's first meme, you pretentious asshole
>>
File: 1437040437025.jpg (20 KB, 138x305) Image search: [Google]
1437040437025.jpg
20 KB, 138x305
>>7764912
>>
>>7764912
>The burden of my existence is far heavier, relatively speaking, than the burden impressed upon my peers. Like Kierkegaard I too am hunchbacked, but unlike him it is the weight of my genius, not poor physical health (my own body is without ailment and is extremely proportionate).

10/10
>>
>>7764913
meh
>>
>>7764912
every single time

god memoir-kun has produced some of the best pasta I've ever seen, over and over

bravo
>>
>>7764913
>has no scientific basis at all.
Are people serious when they say things like this? Who gives a fuck? Go back to complaining about how Freud is useless, at least I'm used to that.
>>
>he reads Proust.
>>
>>7764912
>As an accomplished memoirist
How are you accomplished? I thought that your book was turned down and you weren't/aren't published.
>>
I thought he was the Northern Hitler family?
>>
File: 1450675312670.jpg (25 KB, 552x594) Image search: [Google]
1450675312670.jpg
25 KB, 552x594
>>7764913
>muh science
>>
>What prevents me from reading Houellebecq and watching von Trier is a kind of envy — not that I begrudge them success, but by reading the books and watching the films I would be reminded of how excellent a work of art can be.

Written by one of the most highly regarded writers of contemporary lit. Just in case you had any doubt of literature being dead.
>>
>>7765105
> Venice is in vol.1

kill yourself, my man
>>
>>7765018
Yeaaaaa...didn't realize you were a joke. I get defensive about Ruggles. Mea culpa.
>>
>>7764820
he is doing the same thing Kerouac did, embellishing as it suits his story. also, if he didn't pretend to recall this or that detail, nobody would care to read his books at all.
>>
>>7764820
>Could you, anon?
I can barely remember what happened last week let alone shit that happened 20 years ago.
>>
the knausgard meme. He's not even the nothern Proust. Look up Ole Robert Sunde, he's way fucking better, and his biggest influences is Proust and Joyce.
>>
>>7764912
>debut memoir

excellent,.absolutely superb. please tell me your six-part debut memoir is part of a trilogy of six-part memoirs
>>
>>7764858
So he tried to unlock all the stupid details by bringing himself in near death situations and somehow managed to remember them long enough afterwards to write them down?

This reminds me of Confession of a Mask when the protagonist claims to distinctly remember visuals from when he was born which according to everyone else who was there and probably also his birth certificate are complete bullshit.
>>
>>7764858
This should be pasta, I literally loled
>>
>>7767143
which one?
>>
>>7767124
no definitely le northern proust
>>
>>7768335
I remember visuals from when I was born, but I'm pretty aware that those are probably bullshit.
I'd just really like to know how the hell did I get this memory of some visuals that I'm pretty sure were from that time and why the hell I feel pretty sure that they were from that time.
Had them since I can recall.
>>
>>7767118
I am accomplished in that I have succeeded in writing five books already which are worthy of great renown and which will, should I manage to find a publisher capable of acknowledging my genius, benefit the lives of countless individuals who will read my work. I have written over half a million words thus far and still have yet to complete the final installment in my six-part memoir. I believe Henry Darger was an accomplished artist despite the fact that his art was seen by nobody but himself in his own lifetime. Dedication to a Art, which promises little financial reward and almost guarantees that one is perceived (especially should your Art earn scant reward and no audience) as strange, childish and lazy, is something I respect a great deal, and if an individual has proven (if only to themselves) that their dedication is pure and their efforts sincere then I think they are accomplished.
>>
>>7768314
Should my current efforts prove successful in the traditional and socially-validated sense (i.e. should individuals other than myself recognize the genius and profundity of my work) then I imagine I will feel compelled to continue my writing in memoir form. I have several complex and detailed ideas for novels however and the best of them really is what reviewers would describe as "generation-defining" should I ever write and release it. My current six-part memoir (which is likely to be around 600,000 words in lengthy by the time I have completed the final installment) covers the period from my birth until the age of twenty-three. I am now twenty-four, and already in this past year I have experienced things (largely mental in nature) which would warrant at least 80,000 words to properly express and articulate in a way only I am able. Also my readership would no-doubt be insistent on learning more about my life having completed all six books I plan to initially publish, and though I don't generally take the reader into account when writing (for their benefit as well as my own benefit and the benefit of the writing itself) I would perhaps feel something of a responsibility to those who have spent so long beside me, so to speak, that suddenly leaving them stranded in the relatively squalid environment of their own consciousness, without my writing to guide them and illuminate the better parts of their nature, would perhaps be an unkind act on my part.
>>
>>7768282
how do I into Ole Robert Sunde
>>
>>7768421
>>7768427
this is amazing
>>
>>7768414
My first memory is also bullshit. I know it because some of the details are absurd, but I'm sure that it goes before all my other memories. Either it's a real memory with details added afterwards or its a dream that slowly transformed into a memory
>>
memoir-san is one of the most valorous autists this board has ever met
>>
>>7764820
I read A Time For Everything by knausgaard. At first I really liked it. It was comfy and I was enjoying the story. But holy shit this guy way way way overused anaphora. I found that he used it almost every time he describes something. Just lists it feels like. In one case he used it 3 times in 2 pages, each taking up about a quarter of a page in anaphoric lists. I had to force myself through the coda at the end (almost quite reading with only 25 pages left).
Is this what my struggle is like? I couldn't imagine reading 6 volumes of this.
>>
>>7764820

I don't see why you're reading the work of a man whose modus operandi is to fellate his own ego.

My Norwegian friends testify to the fact that he's an idiot.
>>
>>7769236
>My Norwegian friends

*tips fedora*
>>
>>7769239

I lived in Norway for a year, dipshit.

Unlike you, I actually interact with those in my vicinity.
>>
>>7769243
>Unlike you, I actually interact with those in my vicinity

Is this really supposed to be an insult?

It's 2016 grandad. Interpersonal communication outside the internet is lame-o.
>>
>>7769248

Get the fuck off of my lawn, Billy.
>>
>>7769236
>>7769239
BTFO
>>
>>7769262
>>7769258
Hi Sven
>>
>>7764928
nice.
>>
>>7769264
Hi Ole Runn Hurtigdal.
>>
>>7764820
He says this in the sixth book when he meets some of his old friends who can't remember the conversations he describes. He basically remembered what he had done at various times during his youth and just added dialogue and a narrative to it. Some of it is taken from vague memories of conversations, some of it is made up.
>>
>>7764858
>missing the joke
>>
>>7764913
his explanation was wrong, but the distinction itself is right; i had a convo w a neuroscience phd exactly about this 2 days ago
>>
>>7769935
Can you elaborate on that? I remember hearing something about that moment when "your whole life flashes before your eyes" being basically your brain going through everything it has available looking for a way to get out of your potentially lethal situation. Ironically I don't remember where I heard that.
>>
>>7769965
>"your whole life flashes before your eyes"
Does anyone know where this expression was first used in written form?
>>
>>7769209
Nah, nothing like that
>>
How do you pronounce this guys name? Whenever I recommend this book to people I just say "Ahhh you know I've been reading Mein Kampf," and when their faces go all sour I say "Not Hitler! Haha, you thought I meant, no, I just said that for shock value, it's actually, it's a Norwegian thing that's gotten pretty big here, the guy wrote his whole life, just spilled his life into this epic multivolume novel, and - what? - what makes his life so interesting? Well, it's not that his life is so interesting but it's the writing, you know, he's a writer, so he can make even mundane events in his life extraordinarily interest, for instance there's this part after his father dies and it's just twenty pages of - what? Oh I don't know how to pronounce it."
>>
>>7770354
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ogq-7HV7nw&feature=youtu.be&t=122

Swedish pronunciation, should be close enough.
>>
>>7764820

>2016
>"le artiste smoking a ciggy" pose
>>
>>7769972
https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=life+flashes+before+my+eyes%2Clife+flashes+before+your+eyes%2Clife+flashes+before+his+eyes%2Clife+flashes+before+her+eyes%2Clife+flashes+before+their+eyes&case_insensitive=on&year_start=1800&year_end=2000&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share=&direct_url=t1%3B%2Clife%20flashes%20before%20my%20eyes%3B%2Cc0%3B.t1%3B%2Clife%20flashes%20before%20your%20eyes%3B%2Cc0%3B.t1%3B%2Clife%20flashes%20before%20his%20eyes%3B%2Cc0%3B.t1%3B%2Clife%20flashes%20before%20their%20eyes%3B%2Cc0
>>
>>7764858
where is the source saying that proust is an actual psychologist with any basis in these kinds of matters
>>
>>7772111
*tips*
>>
>>7772111
*trips*
>>
>>7764858
>i live in venice
>where are the cobblestones
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.