[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The country of Ireland is approximately half the size of the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 620x330) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 620x330
The country of Ireland is approximately half the size of the state of Ohio.

Why are there so many more authors from Ireland than Ohio?
>>
ohio is bland.

ireland is turbulent.
>>
they only deport the bootleggers who can't talk their way out of a charge.
>>
>>7762462
Is that your reflection? You look fat.
>>
>james joyce
>author

haha yeah sure his 'books' arent just long winding pieces of pseudo intellectual babble
>>
>>7762476
he's also wearing latex gloves...
>>
>>7762462
Because 80% of everything is crud, including the US. As a much bigger country with far less History, it produces a and has produced a significantly lower amount of literary relevant authors.

Good day.
>>
Borges said that the Irish were prolific writers because they had no obligation to respect the English language or its literary tradition. Thus they were free to create new stuff and explore ideas
>>
>>7762462
Moronic question. Ireland has existed for thousands of years and has a distinct culture, language, history, ethnicity, and geography.
>>
Young men are able to put more concentration into literary endeavors when they're not distracted by women's asses.
>>
>>7762499
>irish literature
>not mostly asses
>>
File: IMG-20160120-WA0005.jpg (156 KB, 852x1041) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160120-WA0005.jpg
156 KB, 852x1041
>>7762490
>reading Borges
>Taking post-moderns seriously
>MFW
>>
File: 1456798099061.jpg (46 KB, 487x332) Image search: [Google]
1456798099061.jpg
46 KB, 487x332
>>7762542
At least I'm not gay like your dad
>>
Mental disorders stemming from generations of inbreeding.
>>
>>7762542
i take all of them seriously all the time
>>
Because they were too busy slacking off real work.

If they wrote less books and planted more taters...

Well, you know the rest.
>>
Alcohol.
>>
>>7762462

Ohioans have instead historically occupied themselves by becoming President of the United States and traveling to outer space.
>>
>>7762648
Are you inferring that those things have some kind of value that's either on par with or above writing literature? Because that's not the case at all.
>>
>>7762671

Wew lad. Please favor me with more fart jokes, accounts of how awful it all was during the famine, or perhaps a nonsense-book that literally no one read.

Meanwhile the aforementioned arch-chads either die gloriously or live comfortably into their 80s, actually doing things of consequence to boot - as national heroes, half the astronauts eventually have an easy run at politics, also participating in statecraft, in the elite power structure.
>>
Give a man a potato and he becomes a potato farmer.

Give an irishman a potato and he becomes a drunk.
>>
moocows
>>
>>7762735
Wew yourself lad.
I doubt anyone can name any Astronauts other than Buzz and Armstrong.
>>
>>7764310
Buzz lightyear isnt an astronaut but i can see how someone like yourself might think so....
>>
>>7764276
Potatoes only took off in Sweden after people realized you could make alcohol with it.>>7764276
>>
>>7762591
Underrated
>>
File: image.jpg (176 KB, 800x559) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
176 KB, 800x559
>>7762462
>Why did the Dorians initially write little, while the Ionians wrote countless elegiac poems?

Aristotle's supposed student Alexander later led the Keltoi in conquering Persia. The educational result was this:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandrian_school

Which lasted in some form or another through the Imperial Roman age, as Greek scribes and artisans were retained by nobles in various functions. While other groups were employed in shipbuilding or construction, a large portion of the Greco-Gauls were thus employed as secular Roman scribes.

Greco-Gallic or Celtic groups survive to write some of the Classical History texts (this has been alleged of Tacitus for example), or works of poetry (Martial).

Finally, certain medieval works of Irish literature claim an Ionian Greek background (connecting them with Egypt's Naucratis and Alexandria).

Many of the medieval monastic Gaelic epigrams owe a great deal to the Greek paeans to fountains and of course, that perennial favourite, women's eyebrows.
>>
>>7762735
kill yourself
>>
because of the oppressively catholic society they had something to be pissed off and write about i guess
also irelands a shithole what else are they gonna do?
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 225x281) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 225x281
>>7764372
By the 1st Century AD, it's difficult to tell by name, who is who. This is well-illustrated by the Poet Martial:

>His name seems to imply that he was born a Roman citizen, but he speaks of himself as "sprung from the Celts and Iberians, and a countryman of the Tagus;"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martial#
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 400x430) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 400x430
This is probably a good starting point:
http://www.cambridge.org/ca/academic/subjects/classical-studies/classical-literature/martial-unexpected-classic

What would Martial have thought of the epigram structure, if he had known it would be adapted into the catechism?
>>
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 728x409) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 728x409
If you're serious in considering former Roman Catholics, I think you are obliged to consider certain aspects of the Roman system of art and patronage.

Individual Romans weren't considered very artistically oriented, but they loved artworks and poems which extolled the deeds of their patrons, and they were aware that Greeks were less oriented toward the austere nature of the Roman economy. So there was a system in which artists had real options and could interact with the wealthy, sort of like in an ancient 'GoFundIt' system.

http://youtu.be/Ga7AJYaoc_k [Embed]

http://uwpress.wisc.edu/books/5251.htm

>“Martial has long been hamstrung in translation by the impossiblity of reproducing his witty obscenities. But now Susan McLean has given us a neatly chosen, crisply rhymed selection of his most pungent sallies. Perfect bedtime reading.”
—Peter Green, Times Literary Supplement
>>
>>7762462
And the state of Ohio is a fraction of the size of Antarctica, yet Antarctica has produced even less notable men of letters. I don't know mang, some things are just bound to remain unexplained forever.
>>
>>7764717
>Antarctica has produced even less notable men of letters

>he doesn't know
>>
>>7764314
He meant Buzz Aldrin, you dip.
>>
>>7764721
No one here has read any Vhiessu-core, spider monkey-fampai.
>>
>>7762542
>believing postmodernism exists
>not knowing that modernism never went
away
>>
Potato Power.
>>
>>7764310

Here is a quotation that is attributed to Woody Allen. I'm not sure that it was him, and quotes are notoriously badly attributed.

However, the sentiment of the quatation is correct, and goes directly to the point of your retort. Consider internalizing the conceit of this quotation, regardless of who actually said or wrote it:

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my art. I want to achieve immortality by not dying."

Failing this, an explorer or a ruler enjoys a much more interesting life than an author. But of course, this is disingenuous: the explorers and rulers themselves are also frequently authors, so they've got the better of you that way, too.
>>
A nation state has to form a cultural identity, which means more people are asking the question 'what does it mean to be Irish' than there are people asking the the question 'what does it mean to be an Ohioan.'
>>
>>7764310

Also I'm biased but the educated half of the population can come up with at least one other name: Gagarin, Sally Ride, Onizuka, Cernan, Laika, Alan Shepard, John Glenn...
>>
>>7762480
He isn't, that his skin.
>>
because size isn't what produces great works
>>
>>7762462
Ohio is in America and Americans can neither read nor write.
>>
>>7764310
>I doubt anyone can name any Astronauts other than Buzz and Armstrong.
>implying no one knows who either Michael Collins is in an Ireland thread
>>
>>7766748
t. 5 inches
>>
>>7766718
You've clearly never lived in Ohio
>>
>>7766752
Most great authors since the war have been Americans
>>
>>7766917
>great authors
>since the war

lmao haha
>>
>>7762462
With the exception of Joyce and Oscar Wilde no Irish person ever had done anything remotely notable

Inb4 some one points out something an English person living in ulster has done to achieve notoriety
>>
>>7766928
Everywhere we goooo
Everywhere we goooo
Its the Ulster boys
Making all the noise
Everywhere we goooo
>Fuck Irish claiming people from Norn Iron
Even Oscar Wilde was Anglo-Irish and went to school in County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland (Portora Royal Grammar, my old econ teacher used to teach there). Samuel Beckett went to the same school.
>>
>>7766928
>Ulster
>British

Tiocfaidh ár lá!
>>
>>7762648
>space
Space is a great vast emptiness with infrequent patches of matter, on the whole its nothing. Who gives a shit about space but stemfags and psueds. The only traveling done in space is done by light and energy. The only explorers of space are unmanned probes and telescopes that record light. Space is the place of machines not man
>president
Oh wow, president of a country that created a war on terror while being one of the main propagators of terrorist regimes. Glad Ohioans can look up from their corn and cows long enough to spread terror and death in the world
>>
>>7766948
Well there you go, didn't know that

>>7766949
No surrender

Seriously, with the exception of Brits in Ireland there is one notable Irishmen

Kind of fitting that the only thing Ireland is famous for is alcohol
>>
>>7766902
Ohio State University is a religion there
>>
>>7766928
>Wilde
>son of Speranza
>Joyce
>written by Beckett

>Ulster
>he hasn't even read Myles of the Ponies
>he thinks Ulster is the North

>he'll never grow up learning how to get geese drunk from The Hawk
I need to be drunker to get down to your level m8, but it's nice you read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and perfectly fine if you don't want to read his autobiographical shit.
>>
>>7766949
Mate you are probably a weak fuck who is part of FossilFreeQUB and thinks they are a marxist. I'll fuck you up.
>>
>>7766949

If your country wasn't so constantly incompetent I would know what that means, luckily you've sucked historically as much as you do now so my beautiful English brain will never be sullied by processing that half-french shitspeak.
>>
>>7766965
Northern Irish protestant here, it is pronounced like "Chucky are lah" and it means "Our time will come". If someone says it you know they are taking benefits and their family has never done anything noteworthy. Our version of niggers.
>>
>>7766970
Calling him a version of your niggers is insulting to the gypsies
>>
>>7766762
>>
>>7766951

I've just punched you in the throat, causing internal bleeding, for multiple reasons.

1. Usage of the slang word "pseuds", or "pseud". Popularizing this piece of slang is the single worst thing that /lit/ has ever done. It is a /punchable word/, invariably used by /punchable faggots/ on this board. /Yes, I triggered/. Please note that every other reason which will follow, pales in comparison to this number one reason why I've just punched you in the throat.

2. Upon review, you (and I suppose others) /didn't even spell the slang-syllable correctly/.
3. The Anti-Science and Anti-Exploration attitude.
4. The Anti-Americanism is also unwelcome. It doesn't even seem to have registered with you that the life of a president is more consequential than the average author. Not fully-punchable by itself but once you went Ps-bomb, there was no turning back.

I've resolved that whenever I see the word "pseud", "psued", or equivalent variants on this board from now on, I'm going to violently punch the person who has used it.
>>
>>7766949
is 'beidh ár lá linn' an abairt, ní an béarla(gair)/(chas) sin.
>>7766965
>English is less French
wow they've laid off the history lessons in England
>>7766970
good, the English have worked out the sentence proves you don't speak Irish.
>>7766983
>gypsies
the pavees or roma kind?
>>7766963
>the ghost of James Connolly is coming for >7766949's kneecaps, chair or no chair
I'd be spooked if I was >>7766949 and not as ignorant
>>
>>7767017
>good, the English have worked out the sentence proves you don't speak Irish.

Yeah, and it seems you don't speak English.
>>
>>7767017
I'm a huge eireaboo, but I doubt anyone in my country even speaks gaelic.

Is there any way to learn it by myself?
>>
>>7767030
>you don't speak English.
that's because our conversation is text based, dearie.
>>
>>7767035
>wasting time learning a dead language spoken by the losers of history

My sides are splitting the the southern walls at the siege of Drogheda
>>
>>7767011
>3. The Anti-Science and Anti-Exploration attitude.
>4. The Anti-Americanism is also unwelcome. It doesn't even seem to have registered with you that the life of a president is more consequential than the average author. Not fully-punchable by itself but once you went Ps-bomb, there was no turning back.
3. Exploration is done by machines and astronomers not astronauts, they're trained monkeys. Interpreting this position as anti science is incorrect.
>I block your punch with karate lessons sensei taught me at tiger shumans dojo
4. If the Nuremberg laws were applied, then every post-war American president would have been hanged.
—Noam Chomsky (around 1990)
Change occurs from within, America will only become greater if you are dissatisfied with it. Negative consequences stemming from presidents have far less worth than positive consequences stemming from creation of the arts done by authors
>I unsheath my katana and chuckle "not today kiddo" quartering you in two easy slices

Also you talked about how speueds is a punchable word, but not why.
>How do you know that in my locality psued is not the proper term and proper usage? Hint: ya dont freinderino
>>
>>7767068
I want to learn irish friend, not italian
>>
>>7767069

Chomsky as your go-to just triple-confirms you as a full faggot. You bleed out in the cold, overnight. I replace my hat and wander off.
>>
>>7767035
You could, in theory, but you would probably face the problem most Irish students in the English speaking parts of Ireland face: the official standard of Irish is not native Irish, but a very anglicised version of it. Before teachers are sent to teach Irish to students after learning it at a college level, they are still sent to native speaking areas to stop them from making learnt mistakes and using English syntax. You can arrange to live in these areas (called "gaeltachta") with families/schools to learn the language by immersion, but the native language itself will probably be dead soon.

You could look up gaelic leagues and get taught poor Irish by people who don't know how poor it is in most any country, but there are also a lot of websites that will help you out because people are afraid it's dying.

Try searching for "Irish language" or "Gaeilge" or "Gaelainn", instead of "Gaelic" because that's usually used for the Scottish language or by Irish-Americans.
>>
I'm sorry for all the bad comments I made in this thread I don't know what made me do it I am just upset in the direction my life has taken.
>>
>>7767011
10/10
>>
Hart Crane is better than any Irish writer.
>>
>>7767287
Literally who?
>>
>>7767299
Right? Irish writers are nobodies
>>
>>7767299
>>7767313
he was from fucking ohio, morons.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.