[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post quote from book, others try to guess what book it is from.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
Post quote from book, others try to guess what book it is from.

“Exquisite little creature!” said the Director, looking after her. Then, turning to
his students, “What I’m going to tell you now,” he said, “may sound incredible.
But then, when you’re not accustomed to history, most facts about the past do
sound incredible.”
He let out the amazing truth. For a very long period before the time of Our
Ford, and even for some generations afterwards, erotic play between children
had been regarded as abnormal (there was a roar of laughter); and not only ab-
normal, actually immoral (no!): and had therefore been rigorously suppressed.
>>
That's easy, it's from 1984.
>>
>>7761941
no it's from a clockwork orange
>>
>>7761931
Speak, Memory.
>>
>>7761943

I'm pretty sure it's from chapter 4 of "We" by Yvgeny Zamyatin
>>
OP here, no one has guessed yet.
>>
>>7761981
Are you serious?
>>
>>7761941
>>7761943
>>7761971

No.
>>
"I have frequently not been on boats"
>>
>>7761984
Yes...
>>
>>7761931
Brave new world

Erotic play? easy as fuck
>>
>>7761997
Good job.
>>
>>7761993
We all know that it's from leviticus, we're only meming because it's so easy.
>>
If someone posts a quote, post something that stands out enough for others to be able to guess correctly.
>>
>>7761981
>>7761985
>>7761993
>>7761997
>>7761999

please go back to r/books
>>
>>7762007
Whats your problem?
>>
File: Capture.jpg (121 KB, 983x525) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
121 KB, 983x525
Guys, guys, I found it, it's from Men and Women by Daniil Kharms. Pic related.

>>7761997
>>7761999
Nice bait but we know you're lying.
>>
"This is the excellent foppery of the world, that, when we are sick in fortune, often the surfeit of our own behaviour, we make guilty of our disasters the sun, the moon, and the stars; as if we were villains on necessity; fools by heavenly compulsion; knaves, thieves, and treachers by spherical pre-dominance; drunkards, liars, and adulterers by an enforc'd obedience of planetary influence; and all that we are evil in, by a divine thrusting on. An admirable evasion of whore-master man, to lay his goatish disposition to the charge of a star! My father compounded with my mother under the Dragon's Tail, and my nativity was under Ursa Major, so that it follows I am rough and lecherous. Fut! I should have been that I am, had the maidenliest star in the firmament twinkled on my bastardizing."
>>
>>7761997
Fuck you. You ruined it.
>>
>>7761931

Brave New World

Let's see who can guess this one
>Lotus ladies tend them i'the eyes, their pineal glands aglow.
>>
>>7762014
King Lear or Macbeth.
>>
>>7762012
Oh you were making fun of me, ok fair enough.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (634 KB, 1014x915) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
634 KB, 1014x915
OP here, I've got a harder one for you. Can anyone guess??

One Sunday morning, the warm sun came up and pop! Out of the egg came a tiny, very hungry caterpillar. He started to look for some food. On Monday he ate through one apple but he was still hungry.
>>
>>7762071
Finnegans Wake
>>
When I consider how exceedingly our Illustrious Moderns have eclipsed the weak glimmering Lights of the Antients, and turned them out of the Road of all fashionable Commerce, to a degree, that our choice Town-Wits of most refined Accomplishments, are in grave Dispute, whether there have been ever any Antients or no: In which Point we are like to receive wonderful Satisfaction from the most useful Labours and Lucubrations of that Worthy Modern, Dr. B—tly: I say, when I consider all this, I cannot but bewail, that no famous Modern hath ever yet attempted an universal System in a small portable Volume, of all Things that are to be Known, or Believed, or Imagined, or Practised in Life.
>>
"No! No. I didn't finish yet. See these dumb Indians thought, these good times would last. They didn't ever want to give up the cold beer and the blond cunt. Hell no! They were America the Beautiful too, this was the land of the free just like teachers said in school. They had the uniform and they didn't look different no more. They got respect."
>>
>>7762034
Not that guy, but I'm sure it's King Lear, and Edmund is the speaker.
>>
>>7762029
Ulysses, specifically the Lotus-Eaters episode?
>>
>>7762029
Fear and Loathing, the part when they're talking about Charles Manson or when hunter drops adrenaline i forget which
>>
Who can guess this one

"Go ahead and do it you mean red nigger"
>>
Easy core “Jesus is a trick on niggers,”
>>
>>7763075
>"Go ahead and do it you mean red nigger"
Blood Meridian
>>
'If you cut a face lengthwise, urinate on it, and trample on it
with straw sandals, it is said that the skin will come off'
>>
As we continued to talk, going through the motions of getting to know each other, I realized that we already did know each other, as well as any two people could. We'd known each other for years, in the most intimate way possible. We'd connected on a purely mental level. I understood her, trusted her, and loved her as a dear friend. None of that had changed, or could be changed by anything as inconsequential as her gender, or skin color, or sexual orientation.

>>7763075
Is this from Blood Meridian when Glanton gets his head split to the thropple? I remember because I had to go look up what thropple means.
>>
>>7763093
Well wherever that came from it's information to be treasured.
>>
"Oedipa settled back, to await the crying of lot 49."
>>
>>7763154
SERIOUSLY pynchon you hack??
>>
>>7763077
Hazel Motes, Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor
>>
File: caterpillar.jpg (10 KB, 271x186) Image search: [Google]
caterpillar.jpg
10 KB, 271x186
>>7762071
>>
Okay I got one,
We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon.

Probably too easy..
>>
>>7761989
hamlet
>>
This thread has made me happy.
>>
>>7762071
NOPE! It was Internet Dreams by Pater Duplicatas. Maybe you should read a book you fucking losers.
>>
>>7763399
fear and loathing in las vegas, challenge me anon
>>
polite bump
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.