[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can /lit/ recommend books like this one? I like drugs and the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8
File: 51J9D25ZMGL.jpg (56 KB, 301x475) Image search: [Google]
51J9D25ZMGL.jpg
56 KB, 301x475
Can /lit/ recommend books like this one? I like drugs and the life philosophy Thompson had.
>inb4 degenerate drug user
>>
>>7761922
I bet you're not a day over 18, and if you are you really need to fucking grow up.
>>
>>7761958
>le drug users are all teens meme X>DDD
>>
>>7761958
This.
Not an insult, this was exactly what I was into when I was 18.

Not exactly the same thing, but try some Hesse.
Favorite author when I was in this state.
>>
>>7761958

im actually 19 and i find drugs fascnating and what it does to your brain.
What do you even mean with grow up? Get a job work for 40 years, have 3 kids and a wfie who secretly fucks other man? or maybe shitpost on 4han all day?
>>
>>7761958
why do people always respond like this
your'e probably right though, especially
>I like ... the life philosophy Thompson had.
he's probably 17, but whatever let him enjoy it

also the short unfortunate answer is you're not going to find another book exactly like F&L in las vegas... i used to be really into it too and spent so long searching, there's just nothing quite like it (if there is i've yet to hear of it)
>>
>>7761973
>What do you even mean with grow up? Get a job work for 40 years, have 3 kids and a wfie who secretly fucks other man?
Can't tell if this is bait or if you're a 16 year old
>>
>>7761978
Buy the ticket and take the ride.
what is wrong with this?
im afraid to be just like everyobdy else in this world. work a shitty job with coworkers you hate and all you do is work,sleep,work
Indeed im quite young but will life get better the older you are?
>>
>>7761982
i dont know man, when i look around me this is all i see
>>
>>7761986
Yes

Your conception of work and the banality of adult life is by no means how you'll actually feel when confronted with these things.

I hated the thought of a 9-5 job but after a few months in and out you come to enjoy the routine and even find meaning in becoming a functioning cog in the machine that is society.

Egoism is the ultimate solipsism, drug fuelled hedonism leads to solitude and detachment from the rest of the world.

Book recs:

Zhuangzi/Tao te Jing: for peace and laughter

Notes from Underground: cautionary apologue about a bitter egocentricity

Meditations (Marcus Aurelius): for that strong male influence you need and deserve
>>
>>7762027
fuck this guy
there is a middleground to being a contented wageslave and an anti work dumbass
>>
>>7762027
ugh
>>
burroughs? irvine welsh? denis johnson? Maybe not identical wrt "life philosophy" but they are drug-focused at least.
>>
William Burroughs
He wrote a series of books about drugs
Start with "junkie" title says it all
And his son ,William Burroughs jnr ,wrote an autobiographical called 'speed' again the title gives it away
>>
File: KoolAid_1stUSEd_front.jpg (50 KB, 327x477) Image search: [Google]
KoolAid_1stUSEd_front.jpg
50 KB, 327x477
"The electric kool-aid acid test"
Tom Wolfe
>>
File: 1451754973683.jpg (11 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1451754973683.jpg
11 KB, 300x300
>>7762062
>>7762074
>>7762027
thanks lads appreciate it
>>
>>7761922
Morphine, by Bulgakov

for drug focused diary style writing

also

the rum diary, by HST
>>
File: images (1).jpg (24 KB, 292x504) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
24 KB, 292x504
"Involution Ocean" by Bruce Sterling
It's a sci fi book
Like Moby dick on acid
>>
>>7762027
>after a few months in and out you come to enjoy the routine and even find meaning in becoming a functioning cog in the machine that is society
stop projecting you fucking masochist
>>
File: TrainspottingBookcoverearly.jpg (17 KB, 220x348) Image search: [Google]
TrainspottingBookcoverearly.jpg
17 KB, 220x348
>>7762062
Yes Irvine Welsh
You will be reading with a Scottish accent
>>
Naked Lunch
>>
>>7762041
This. There are valid reasons to despise the current state of things so deluding yourself into thinking that you can attain "fulfillment" through meaningless labor is retarded, but at the same time with the way things are, you do need to work to live assuming you weren't born into a rich family even if you are effectively getting screwed when you do.

tl;dr: work to live don't live to work
>>
>>7761922

Raymond Chandler + HST = The last good kiss by James Crumley

Jack Kerouac + HST = Not fade away by Jim Dodge

Also, read some of his articles, The great shark hunt is just as crazy as Fear and loathing.
>>
>>7762128
>>7762102
>>7762074
Solid calls. maybe some Bolano as well
>>
>>7762102
'Morphine' doesnt really demonstrate the theme of drug.
It is strange, that nobody, you faggots, has recommended 'Confessions of an English Opium-Eater' by Thomas De Quince or Charle Bodler. Yeah, William's books are pretty good, you should read some. Theeeeen you dint say what type of drugs and because you are interested in. PiHKAL, TiHKAL? DMT-the spirit molecule? Leary and Lilly? So sage
>>
>>7762637
>>inb4 degenerate drug user
Oh, yes, the second sage is fair
>>
File: true hallucinations.gif (100 KB, 274x475) Image search: [Google]
true hallucinations.gif
100 KB, 274x475
No Terrance Mckenna yet? Hes more of a hippy but this book was a fun read.
>>
>>7761922
Read Psychodelic Anthropology by Allan D Coult

When society becomes adict - Ann Wilson Chaef

Hongos Alucinantes - Fernando Benitez
Its a hard book to find unless you want to pay over 300 dollars. But its a great piece of work
>>
>>7762676
i meant Allan D. Coult's book. i think there's a pdf version somwhere
>>
File: 71dosJn6HdL.jpg (151 KB, 833x1274) Image search: [Google]
71dosJn6HdL.jpg
151 KB, 833x1274
>>7761922
This is totally different from Fear and Loathing, but I think it might be what you're looking for, OP. Whether you're a RHCP fan or not, this is a great read. Much of it is about Keidis' drug addiction, but he almost romanticizes his drug use. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would definitely recommend.
>>
>>7761922
read On The Road and all the other trash kerouac put out. It's not laudible, but it matches the level of drug-use-and-easy-inspiration
>>
>>7762778
>>/trash/
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.