[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok, /lit, trying to get my sister, 16, to read. She now reads
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6
File: YUI.jpg (63 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
YUI.jpg
63 KB, 768x768
Ok, /lit, trying to get my sister, 16, to read. She now reads YA, not impressed by China Melville.
She is stiffheaded little bitch, are there lit tier biographies on Calamity Jane or similar? As she seems to have more interest in non fiction.
She is not stupid, just lazy.

tl;dr patrcian books for young women?
>inb4 "literature is genderless"
>>
Start with the Greeks.
>>
The Book of the New Sun
>>
Pic indicates she likes anime? Try to get her started on authors like Mishima and Daizai?
>>
>>7761572

Game of Thrones, Angel Sanctuary, Star Wars OT novelizations and a treatise of your choice about the lives and customs of the ancient Pharaos.
>>
The best you could probably do is get her hooked on Austen and then try to work her up through the Brontës and hopefully by the time she chases the romantic novel to something more serious like George Eliot she'll be looking for something deeper.
>>
>giving a teenage girl China Meiville to try and interest her in lit
Idiot. Give her Neil Gaiman.
>>
>>7761572
>trying to get my sister, 16, to read
Just drop that and get her to give you a blowjob desu
>>
File: 1443042191810.png (175 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1443042191810.png
175 KB, 600x600
>>7761671
>Giving someone Neil Gay Man.
>>
>>7761680
this.
>>
saint joan by shaw, perhaps?
>>
>women
is anyone surprised
>>
>>7761679
nice
>>
>>7761572
Woolf, Atwood, Gaitskill should fill all needs
>>
>>7761572
Sylvia Plath captures what at young woman probably experiences.
>>
File: DESCARTES.jpg (615 KB, 1419x1427) Image search: [Google]
DESCARTES.jpg
615 KB, 1419x1427
introduce her to descartes with the discourse on method then proceed to give her the dick.
>>
>>7762488
top kek.
>>
>>7761572
What Mieville did you try? I assume Railsea or Un Lun Dun?
>>
>>7761572
Try Gossip girl by Cecily von Ziegesar.

In all seriousness though, if somebody doesn't read for pleasure on their own initiative odds are they never will.
>>
>>7761572
Dude, Mieville's awesome if you ALREADY like reading, but he's not exactly beginner-friendly. You literally need babby's first book, like >>7761671 or >>7761651.
>>
>>7761572
Crime and Punishment is an easy read. Austen might be a good idea but I haven't read myself so I can't really say.
>>
>>7765297
i used to never read until last year of high school, when i decided to almost completely isolate myself socially and read a lot
so people can change my dude
>>
>>7765419
Was it because your big brother advised you to or because you took up a new hobby on your own account.

There is a difference.
>>
>>7765482
that is a good point
but it was because of school, so technically it was because i was introduced to certain books by an outside source
>>
File: mfw.jpg (50 KB, 452x496) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
50 KB, 452x496
>>7761572
>She is not stupid, just lazy.

This is why people like YA better than lit. They want shallow feel good stories. They don't want to have to put effort into thinking for something that they are doing for fun.
>>
What are her interests? Any hobbies that might be informative?
>>
my diary to be honest family
>>
File: 174661.jpg (23 KB, 259x400) Image search: [Google]
174661.jpg
23 KB, 259x400
Read her Ada while she sits on your lap
>>
Huckleberry Finn
The Things They Carried
The two I would reccomend. /lit/ newb and it got me into this.

>inb4 shit
>>
>>7761572
Is she cute? Would you bone her?

Have you ever smelled her used pantsu?
>>
>>7769723
people need to know the answers to these questions.
>>
>>7769723
once but I regretted it
>>
>>7761572
>She is stiffheaded little bitch

Give me her number anon, we'll get that straightened out
>>
>>7771429
JESUS
get her to read lolita then
>>
>>7771429
did it smell like your father's balls?
>>
this thread gets me every time.
>>
>>7761572
>She now reads YA
Too late desu.

Get her some poetry like Raimbaud or Baudelaire, she'll just get pretentious.
Or let her watch better than food book reviews, there are several girls in his comments and they seem to be wettened by him so it could be a nice tactic to get her to read nice books.
>>
Take her on tc with you and introduce her to ceit.
>>
>>7761572
>Ok, /lit, trying to get my sister

aren't we all.
>>
I just want to point out that if you do Google searches for "Moby Dick" and "50 Shades of Gray," they have scores of 3.4 and 3.7 respectively on Goodreads. Yes, in that order.
>>
File: witchhouse.jpg (405 KB, 1200x843) Image search: [Google]
witchhouse.jpg
405 KB, 1200x843
Bukowski, Houellebecq, Miller, Sade.

Teen girls love dirty old men for some reason.
>>
>>7772752

Goodreads is pleb central

Do you have more astounding news for us anon?
>>
>>7772780

You forgot a period in your first sentence, patrician.
>>
>>7772781

>patrician

I never implied anything of the sort

I'm a pleb too, just slightly less pleb than them. I hope.
>>
>>7772752
To be fair, a lot of Moby Dick is hot garbage.
>>
>>7772783

Come on, don't be reasonable, I can't cope with that.
>>
>>7772885

I'm sorry anon, let me slip back into my 4chan persona.

berating remark insinuating your significant other has sexual relationships with people of the african american persuasion

ironic dismissal of every single one of your points based on nothing but the fact that I don't like them

bitter solicitation to start frequenting the famous online link aggregator known as reddit.com or to revert back to using it in the case you were already a member
>>
taste isn't as simple as "girls like this, boys like this." find out what your sister wants to read and get her that.

just let her read what she wants; you don't have an obligation to try to "convert" people to lit.
>>
>>7761572
if she's 16 years old and not reading opening /lit/ tier, she's a lost cause. give her a copy of Jane Eyre, The Bell Jar, and The Bible (for non-fiction)
>>
my diary to be honest.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.