[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A breakthrough at last. I have received an official expression
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8
File: peepsm.jpg (19 KB, 396x385) Image search: [Google]
peepsm.jpg
19 KB, 396x385
A breakthrough at last. I have received an official expression of interest in my work by an agent representing many names of great literary renown. What a day this is. Just as I begin the sixth and final installment of my memoir, the second book (chapters of which which I am using as part of my submission) has been described as "a curious [...] project" and my efforts praised as being "uncommon" in a sense I can only conclude as being evidence of my unique genius and the interesting novelty of my writing style.

How are your efforts to earn publication coming along /lit/?
>>
I've published a few books; nothing that's made me very rich, however.

My best has made me around £5000.

The trouble is that I insist upon not dumbing down my work for retards, who sadly comprise most of the market nowadays.
>>
>>7761075
Currently just working on intertextual stuff and plotting.
Going to submit some poetry soon, though.
>>
>>7761093

I can't stand poetry that doesn't have rhyme and a consistent metre.

That probably qualifies as an unpopular opinion around here.
>>
>>7761089
What are the names of these books?
>>
>>7761106

That would reveal my name. I have a hard enough time promoting myself as is, without being associated with this place.
>>
>>7761112
What genre?

It's obviously not literary fiction, so I can only imagine you're writing YA jetpack shit.
>>
>>7761118

Sci-fi/Fantasy.

Sadly GRRM/etc have oversaturated the market, lately. I'm considering a new genre; whatever might qualify as a niche.
>>
>>7761075
>chapters of which which I am using as part of my submission
>which which
ya blew it
>>
>>7761119
Disgusting.
>>
>>7761075
Are you the guy who was going to deliver his manuscripts in a pizza box? Did you end up doing such a thing?
>>
File: Unkie Moe intensifies.gif (74 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Unkie Moe intensifies.gif
74 KB, 200x200
>>7761123

Better that than the obscurantist shit that gets a free ride here.
>>
>>7761075
Fucking kek, I remember your faggot ass. Fuck right off with your pretentious as fuck memoir, you're like 25, you've got nothing to tell.
>>
>>7761124
I have not yet resorted to any of the schemes I have in mind should my more traditional means of gaining publication succeed.
>>
>>7761129
I am 24 years of age.
>>
File: Everything I say fam.png (513 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Everything I say fam.png
513 KB, 800x600
>>7761134

A 24 year old has barely any need of a diary, never mind want of a fucking memoir.
>>
>>7761102
No, pretty safe opinion here.
I do use metre, though, rhymes sometimes.
>>
>>7761136
Maybe to someone such as yourself, who clearly values the world of external novelty and variety moreso than the interior, mental world of profound insight and complex thought. However I have, in my 24 years alive, perceived more significance in both my surroundings and in my own mind that to write my memoir would be to deny a large readership of a work of art which will benefit their lives in ways they are currently unable to appreciate. I have experienced more emotional intensity and more existential profundity in one day than many individuals, in whose number you no-doubt are counted, will experience in their entire life. I have volunteered to live a life of great genius and suffering for the sake of producing great art and articulating all those things that the so-called "average" person, weighed down by the mundanity of their lives and thought, distracted from the underlying tragedy of the human existence, never comprehend until someone like myself proves willing to show them the world as it truly is, without them having to suffer the alienation of the genius which allows me to reveal it to them.
>>
File: OH MY GOD.jpg (45 KB, 590x590) Image search: [Google]
OH MY GOD.jpg
45 KB, 590x590
>>7761148

>Insecurity/Over-Inflated Ego: The Post

I guarantee your 'memoir' is a boring piece of shit. I guarantee your wrote it in a Starbucks/etc, armed with seven skinny lattes, just to let strangers know how 'deep' you are for writing in public.
>>
>>7761148
oh look memoir kun is back

Weren't you 27 last time? Don't you think your bait should get more varied?
>>
>>7761089
>>7761119
>The trouble is that I insist upon not dumbing down my work for retards, who sadly comprise most of the market nowadays.
>What genre?
>Sci-fi/Fantasy.
hehehehehe 8/8
>>
>>7761163
i thought he was 26.
also,
>"a curious [...] project"
>my efforts praised as being "uncommon" in a sense I can only conclude as being evidence of my unique genius and the interesting novelty of my writing style.
He's either a troll or deep in the spectrum.
>>
>>7761148
I'd be surprised if anyone fell for this

But if you tone it down, throw in some more self-pity and sophistry, etc, you could have a pretty good young author character for a novel or poem
>>
OP are you role playing a younger Karl Ove Knausgård?
>>
>>7761180
Are you implying that retards DON'T make up most of the market for sf and fantasy? That's literally the whole reason they're usually so shit
>>
>>7761187
>>7761163
I am 24 years old and have never claimed to be otherwise on this board.
>>
>>7761189
>I'm new

Memoir-chan has been posting on here for at least 4 months. I'd be more surprised if he was trolling at this point.
>>
I sympathize with our misanthropic friend and I will try to present a defence of the "sin" of which he is guilty.

There exists a stigma around honest self-appraisal. I see no reason why I should deny that I, for example, am exceptionally intelligent, and moreso than the majority of humankind. It sounds awful—but hear me out, gentle reader! We all acknowledge the supreme importance of truth and honesty. Have you read Pascal? Don't worry if you haven't, I quote the only passage we need (I assume many of my readers have no French, so I give a translation):
"Thus, when they discover only the imperfections and vices which we really have, it is plain they do us no wrong, since it is not they who cause them; they rather do us good, since they help us to free ourselves from an evil, namely, the ignorance of these imperfections. We ought not to be angry at their knowing our faults and despising us; it is but right that they should know us for what we are, and should despise us, if we are contemptible."

Now follow the train of reasoning: we owe it to others to be honest about our comparative vices and virtues. If another man is contemptible, it is a moral duty to say so. What difference is there in saying that I am less contemptible? None can deny that each statement offends for the same reason. We owe it as humanists (I do not say Christians, as I see no truth in that myth) to be honest about each other and ourselves, and to overcome the self-imposed deafness which will not hear anything which injures our pride.

What excuse is then left to hate the man who claims a degree of brilliance? First, be honest with yourself—is your hatred not mixed with vanity? Do you not resent the notion that another might be more intelligent than you? Is this about me, or about yourself?

Would that all my critics were so honest and curious. Indeed if they would confront the source of their discomfort—that knowledge that they are rather imperfect themselves—they might even profit by the thought! So little can my honest 'egotism' harm them, it is even likely to give them occasion for self-improvement.

I will, of course, receive criticism gracefully. Yet I think it not impudent if I should often disagree with my critics, given that I can speak from much more experience of myself.
>>
>>7761246

Faggot.

Disliking vanity doesn't mean you're insecure. If anything, the vain are insecure; they who sing their own praises, yet rarely (if ever) dwell upon their faults.

Never mind addressing those faults. Vanity, such as OP's, is nothing more than the denial of imperfection and/or a willingly ignorant response to it.

Singing your own praises is easy; having others sing them, less so. That's why humility has always trumped vanity as a trait.
>>
>>7761251
Humility has not "always" trumped vanity, but it has under the shadow of Christendom, and you must forgive me if I think that's rather poor evidence of its supremacy.

Now the truth is neither that we should love vanity or humility but that we should love truth, which your approach plainly ignores. The man who does good works, who sees things more clearly than other men, etc, is entitled to greater pride in himself. If we resent him only because he speaks of himself with truth, what miserable sods are we?
>>
>>7761271
>love truth

*sound of distant footsteps*
>>
*sound of quick breathing through wide nostrils as footsteps approach*
>>
File: implyin.jpg (64 KB, 540x552) Image search: [Google]
implyin.jpg
64 KB, 540x552
>>7761271

*tips Mjölnir*
>>
File: spookbuster.jpg (42 KB, 542x535) Image search: [Google]
spookbuster.jpg
42 KB, 542x535
*kicks down the door*

"Did someone mention """""""""""""""">truth<""""""""""""""""""""""""""?"
>>
>>7761207
If I remember correctly, he admits late in threads that he's trolling.
This seems increasingly likely given his supposed obsession with certain publishers and the pizza thing. Doesn't really add up otherwise
>>
>>7761293
>doesn't really add up otherwise

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism
>>
File: Tfw you're a spook.jpg (29 KB, 500x550) Image search: [Google]
Tfw you're a spook.jpg
29 KB, 500x550
>>7761290
>>
>>7761290
stirner was an exceptionally stupid and unhappy man. you may think the cause of truth a tyranny or a spook; I don't, and Stirner hasn't convinced me to change my mind.
>>
>>7761309
>ad hominem

I'm a girl and me and my friend are literally pointing at your post on my screen and giggling behind our hands.
>>
>>7761246
I hate this board
>>
>>7761127
>I don't get it so everyone must be as dumb as me.
>>
>>7761401

Keep reading Sartre/etc and pretending they make sense; rather than calling them out for what they really are, modern day mystics.
>>
>>7761862
I'm searching for an insult in here.
>>
>>7761089
>>7761862
how the fuck do you conciliate these 2 posts? unless you're trolling
>>
>>7761967

Sartre/etc aren't "for intellectuals."

It's sheer babble. Very little of their work makes sense, nor is it supposed to; that's the point. Same goes for Žižek/Foucault/etc.
>>
>>7761976
I honestly think that you might be retarded if you can't make sense of Sartre.
>>
File: Wew lads.jpg (81 KB, 920x537) Image search: [Google]
Wew lads.jpg
81 KB, 920x537
>>7762005

>

Keep idealizing your googly-eyed, kiddie-fiddling Frenchman. Scruton has dismantled these hacks.
>>
>>7761312
>giggling behind our hands
I know what you're trying to say but this line sounds like the name of a really fucked up surrealist painting
>>
>>7762013
tfw attacking continental philosophy is the new euphoria
>>
>>7762013
It just seems like you don't understand Sartre and that is laughable. I like him and his writing, but it is rather entry-level. Go back to reading self-published sci-fi novels ya dingus.
>>
>>7762040
He's baiting.
>>
>>7761163
>>7761187
Memoiretard and Gasautist should get together and have passionate homosex. Memoire would obviously be the bottom since he craves the "deepest" experience he can get.
>>
>>7761246
8,5/10
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.