[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it so great?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: 19108[1].jpg (38 KB, 294x475) Image search: [Google]
19108[1].jpg
38 KB, 294x475
I've read about 60% of the book, but it hasn't really fascinated me at all. Not to say that it's bad - it's not, but there is something I'm missing and it keeps me from enjoying the work.
What am I missing?
I'm a large fan of Russian literature by the way, and my favorite books is The Master and Margarita by Bulgakov.
>>
>>7757383
it just wasn't complete. in every sense.
>>
>>7757383

Book*, not books. I accidentally typed it wrong.
>>
>>7757394
you might try his short stories, The Portrait is great.
>>
>>7757383
Its very funny in pointing absurds of life of those peoples, and also sad cause those hilarious peoples are being responsible of death of more worthy peoples. Its xix century but cynical in bit kafka way. I also love its prose, love to country is conceived more by sceneries descriptions than praising society
>>
>>7757403
my god.
>>
>>7757383
I really liked it, felt a lot more shorter than it is. Refreshingly simple after reading all of Dostoyevsky etc.
>>
>>7757408
?
>>
>>7757423
what's your native language?
>>
>>7757423
i bet it's russian.
>>
>>7757428
>>7757426
So i am not english native and post in gogol thread, what wrong with that? Btw peoples here are pretty weird, they will fuck you over for reading Pynchon or Joyce in translation, but suddenly Gogol in english is completely fine
>>
>>7757442
i never said anything was wrong with it bro. calm down. besides, the translation trolls have been quashed for the moment. relax. what's your native language?
>>
>>7757383
I enjoyed more his short stories desu. But Dead Souls was hella funny
>>
is this about the souls series
>>
>>7757453
yeah. this book was what it's based on. didn't you ever womder about the furtive pygmy? it's all in here.
>>
>>7757383
if you're reading the P&V translation you are probably missing quite a bit, since they are garbage.

none of the humor comes through at all like it does in the guerney/fusso version.
>>
>>7757479

I'm reading an old serbo-croatian translation, I posted this one for no reason. Sometimes it is funny, but not THAT funny.
>>
it's graet but it's incomplete.

it was also meant to be the first part of a trilogy that he never got around to finishing. dead souls mirrors inferno, and gogol never got around to writing the purgatorio/paradiso parts.
>>
>>7757489
>an old serbo-croatian translation
Iso Velikanović? Posve moguće da on amortizira humor, ipak je on prevodio početkom 20. stoljeća. Znam da se ja nisam puno smijao na njegovog Don Quijotea.
Potraži Crnkovićeve prijevode. Pročitao sam par Gogoljevih kratkih priča u njegovom prijevodu i bile su mi jako dobre. Pretpostavljam da će i njegove "Mrtve duše" biti smiješnije od Isinih.
>>
>>7757445
It does not matter i am Russian
>>
It's a comfy low-intensity read with delightful characters, occasional comedic moments, and some nice depictions of the Russian countryside. It's not a great masterpiece (and almost certainly wouldn't be even if it had been completed), but not every book needs to be.
>>
>>7757403
The Trial has a lot of the The Overcoat in it. I don't know much about Kafka's influences but I'd say he was a big Gogol fan.
>>
Suffering.

Not many terrible things have happened to you, OP. That's no. 1 requirement for Russian literature.
>>
>>7759432
Interesting - I also thought of Kafka while I was reading Gogol. To be specific, I was reading "The Nose" and thinking of "Metamorphosis".
>>
This thread has mentioned p and v being shit, what are the best translations of dead souls?
>>
>>7757383
Its funny in a dark way. Americans can't humour. But they have Mike and Molly.
>>
>>7757442
Only fools will completely snub a good translation, don't worry, anon.
>>
>>7761217
haha remember the episode when Molly try eating good healy break fast but she cannot because fat women cannot like nice???? no syrup no service! KEVIN SMITH haha andrew sampler BANANA!!! minions funny but hotel transilvana also good ….
>>
daily reminder that master and margarita is very bad
>>
>>7762361
so, i wasn't the only one. it wasn't horrible, but it's fairly overhyped.
>>
>>7762334
shitpost of the year nominee right here
>>
>>7762361
>>7762389
these plebs
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.