[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Discuss...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
Discuss...
>>
>>7756895
y'know i just noticed this book and downloaded it. how'd you find it, what brought the book to your attention?
>>
>>7756895
Nice, cool.
>>
>>7756901
Well,Iam studying baroque literature right now and along with the Pedro Barca's "Life is a dream" I bought this one and finished it...Tho I didnt read it in original language,the rhymes are really beautiful and lyrical(ababcc) and characters arent bad either(watch out for Armida)...À la fin,its an excellent read,even if it has some ridiculous magical elements(Tasso because of that needed to rewrite it,and published the remastered version under the name Jerusalem Conquered)...
>>
>>7756911
is it exciting? are there fuckin dragons and shit? is it as good as the ancient epics?
>>
>>7756938
Well,looking from that,yeah,its even better and battles are fully epic...
>>
>>7756945
sounds good as fuck.
>>
>>7756945
but yeah, doubt anyone will have read it here. bunch of fucking dilettantes, really.
>>
>>7756961
I've also read an epic called Osman from Ivan Gundulic in my mothers language,his prime example was Tasso's Jerusalem Delivered...I doubt it that it was translated in other languages,though its almost entirely apstract in contrast to this epic...
Also I would recommend Ariosto's "Orlando Furioso" which is a little less serious than Tasso's(much more magical elements)...
>>
>>7757001
that's how i found out about jerusalem delivered, I'm really quite excited to read Orlando Furioso. it looks wonderful, anything else on the less serious side like Orlando Furioso? adventures and all that, but with a touch of humor?
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 296x350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 296x350
>>7756895
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enchanted_forest#

What do you think of the enchanted forest?
>>
File: image.jpg (216 KB, 1024x764) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
216 KB, 1024x764
I'm in the process of painting a fairly enchanted forest, so it's interesting to hear the mystical rumours concerning the Hyrcanian forest. I may actually have heard of this once while reading a Biography of Caesar.

I think I will paint the bird as having lapis wings with a milkish viridian tip.

You can see I have the British artist's tendency to paint doll arms (like Robert Fagan, etc.) yet the subject is a squared up etching of a character called 'Abeille'...?
>>
>>7757063
why is her face blurred out?
>>
>>7757077
Witness protection program.

Actually it just looks like a mess right now. I'm not very adept with facial anatomy, I might have to pose a figure or study skulls a bit longer. This painting is still very far from complete.

The acanthus leaves in the border have just been begun.

I hope to make good use of Durer's Painter's Manual in future paintings. Unfortunately I'm broke at the moment and will have to postpone buying brushes... (Artist grants are available only to gallery painters in my country, and they must choose from approved subjects).
>>
>>7757091
well, it looks quite interesting. have you ever tried to copy one of the masters? a la Recognitions? you gonna try out Bosch any time soon?
>>
File: image.jpg (185 KB, 800x339) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
185 KB, 800x339
>>7757122
Hahaha, well, that's an interesting idea! Although my own preference is for Bruegel over Bosch.

I like the Italian monastic painters best. Fra Angelico and so on. Rembrandt's Circumcision of Christ is an interesting subject (and tastefully discreet).

Is the book you're describing very good?
>>
>>7757138
if you're an artist, i think it might be one of great interest to you. The Recognitions. It's basically about an artist who plagiarizes works of art, and the philosophy behind it. I read it when I wasn't sufficiently mentally developed, so I intend to read it again, but for what it's worth, it was an incredible book that from what I've seen has no contemporary peers. It might seem memed, but it has a lot of substance.
>>
>>7757145
It sounds very interesting.

I love Rivette's La Belle Noiseuse, and I always wanted to see a medieval guild depicted on film, and a painter's studio with lots of attendants forced to grind colours all day. The film 'Artemisia' is probably closest to this.
>>
>>7757152
actually, i recall quite a bit about pigment grinding in that book, Wyatt trying to get period materials to support its seeming authenticity. otherwise, I feel like your references are a bit over my head, to be honest, heh.
>>
>>7757157
That's interesting about the pigment grinding. I'd love to read about the daily routine in the studio. Acquiring models was easy then... Whores were so plentiful and their options were quite limited.
>>
>>7757164
that's also part of the plot. it's really in depth, honestly. it takes a while to get to that point, but the artistic references are throughout. sounds like it's right up your alley.
>>
>>7757024
Well,hardly I know any more...But I can give you a warm recommendation for Marino's epic "Adonis" because Iam doing it when I finish with Barca's "Zalameian judge" right now...Look in theoretical literature for more instructions...
>>7757040
Too much devils,and it reminds me of 8th circle from Dante's Inferno...Anyways,Rinaldo did a good job...
>>7757063
Excellent,keep going mate!
>>
>>7757177
barca huh? hey, that's around the time of Guzman De Alfarache! I bet you could read that, it hasn't been translated into my language and i'm a plebeian monoglot, so i won't ever hope to read it, but it's apparently the father of all picaresques aside from Lazarillo De Tormes. I envy that.
>>
>>7757138
looking at Bruegel, and I gotta say i can see why you like him more! that's interesting. i dunno about the monastic stuff, looks a bit like everyone has a stick up their asses.
>>
>>7757184
Well,Iam not into Spanish either,Iam fluent in English and German,and Iam doing French and Russian,maybe I will keep up with Latin becauseI felt for patrician meme...When it comes to drama's I would choose Lope De Vega all the way,dunno for Lazarillo though...
>>
This patrician thread is dying
>>
I read that trans. It's okay, not as good as Ariosto. I think the brooding qualities and ebb and flow of the Iliad permeated through it a bit more. Some imaginative events like the forest of souls bit. Is there any homoerotic stuff by Tasso?
>>
File: image.jpg (422 KB, 758x1023) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
422 KB, 758x1023
>>7757063
I think this partly expresses my desire to make the painting. I had Nyman's Collected Works on CD as a teenager. I must have been dabbling with Catholicism at the time, as all teens are wont to do.

http://youtu.be/jYMUyjq0yLA
>>
>>7756895
10/10 book, fun, and full energy.
It was written short before the battle of Lepanto and you can feel it. But the prose,THE PROSE is aged so amazingly well....
Even the "Epicness" is so fucking good...
Tasso wrote it from his 15 to his 30yo, and you can feel his young talent through every page (or that was my sensation), reading it for me was like drinking cold clean water.

I'm happy that isn't became a /lit/ meme, but has his threads every now and then.
>>
>>7758377
no it won't.
>>
>>7756961
I actually have read this. Tasso is a genius. You can see a lot of echoes of the battle stuff in Paradise Lost - Milton was heavily influenced by italian renaissance epic, of which is the best example. Might even appeal to readers of fantasy - lots of combat, magic, romance, lady knights and sorcerors. Esolen's translation is also very good.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.