[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reading Jungs collected works on psychological types, I came
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9
File: jung.jpg (127 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
jung.jpg
127 KB, 1200x1200
Reading Jungs collected works on psychological types, I came across this passage where he talks about the three lines of thinking about the ultimate motivating factor in human psyche, as personified by Freud, Adler and himself. Freud identified as the ultimate driving force of the psyche pleasure (or lack of it), Adler power and Jung meaning (which is definitely the least graspable of the three values). I thought that that's a really interesting look at the subject, and one can definitely identify thinkers both in the past and present which form their ideologies according to one of the three categories. What do you think, /lit/bros? And which of the three values do you ultimately strive for yourself?
>>
The pleasure derived from the power of finding meaning
>>
If I remember correctly, the three main brain regions correspond to each of those. I'm not sure one is the ultimate motivator, but I think one or two of them can be more dominant in an individual.
>>
>>7755905

It works that way, boyo. You can go all meta and argue, for example, that power is just a means towards attaining pleasure, and thus we're conditioned to find it pleasing itself, or on the other hand that the experience of pleasure originally comes from us manifesting our will to power on the world. You can also argue that the experience of "meaning" is just the pleasant feeling you get from anticipating pleasurable outcome in the future, or that we only find our actions meaningful if they have an effect on the world in some way or another. Lastly, perhaps the ultimate and only lasting pleasure comes from the striving for and attainment of some sort meaning, and along with it comes the ultimate power, over one's own self, through realizing the meaningful goal to which redirect our efforts.
>>
>>7755892
I think that the pleasure from finding meaning is quite liberal-modern, especially if people use the word *rationality* when they communicate their meanings.
the best part is that, like in any hedonism, it is bound to fail, people know more less the failure of hedonism due to desires always fading and uncontrallable, but they still cannot manage to get the proper way to be happy: to do the opposite of what you have so fare done : stop the avidity towards pleasure and stop the aversion towards pains.
The stillness towards what you feel and what you think brings deeper equanimity+compassion, to the point that you destroy any agitation towards what you feel and think, and before this, the meditative states bring the bliss when you attempt to install the stillness.

This is the exposition of the dhamma.
>>
>>7755994

Hmmm, Buddhism might be stepping out of those three categories, sure. One could say that the attainment of nirvana is an attempt to escape dukkha and thus in a covert way centered on pleasure, or that what drives the Buddhist is the will to no longer be constrained by a number of traps constructed by the illusory ego (and thus attain freedom = power), or that maybe it's a non-rational will to meaning that convinces someone to enter on the eight-fold path, seeking the escape from existence revealed to be meaningless and false.

Buddhism is fascinating. I probably would have ended up a buddhist, if I hadn't had other things come in my life prior to my first proper contact with it.
>>
>>7756083
Why not a Hindu?
>>
>>7756123

Nope. I'm one of those few looney western esotericists.
>>
>>7755892

"Theories are nets cast to catch what we call "the world," to rationalise, to explain and to master it"
—Karl Popper

I think Nietzsche is more to the point; putting all human endeavour under the heading of "Will to Power
>>
>>7756158

Well, I would've presented Nietzsche as probably the most prominent thinker of the Adlerian branch (or rather, Adler followed in Nietzsche's footsteps). Another one would be that poor cunt Ayn Rand.
>>
>>7756168

my point along with that Popper quote was that regardless of the branch you are in, meaning/pleasure/power, your effort or "will" is in the pursuit of power. You're trying to petrify/stun/contain a reality which is potentially out of your grasp. Or as Kanye writes in Blood on the Leaves...

"All that cocaine on the table you can't snort that
That going to that owing money that the court (of your eternal soul) got
On and on that alimony, uh, yeah-yeah, she (the will to power) got you homie
'Til death but do your part, unholy matrimony (of the sublime with rational attempts to contain it)
>>
what does this have to do with abolishing capitalism?
>>
>>7756194

to better understand how all approaches we take have their achilles heel. Give that we accept the our desires are an ouroboros, and late capitalism/material culture are unfungible with this self destruction mass suicide will follow and third impact will commence.
>>
>>7756192
Why the hell is Kanye so popular everywhere?
He has no vocals, no lyricism, no intelligence, overrated production that your average 80's hair band can match. No talent.
>>
>>7756194
Why would you go to the trouble of cracking the damn tripcode?

I'm not here forever anymore. Sheesh.
>>
File: Picture_127.jpg (52 KB, 641x482) Image search: [Google]
Picture_127.jpg
52 KB, 641x482
>>7756194
I thought you left
>>
>>7756194

It does not (except maybe tangentially). Why?
>>
>>7756209

trying to derail the thread are we.
I was making a joke.

But to respond to that. Whining about muh meritocracy in the face of celebrity is hilarious. Criticising kanye is failing to understand how celebrity functions.
>>
File: 1443740842093.jpg (800 KB, 2048x1034) Image search: [Google]
1443740842093.jpg
800 KB, 2048x1034
>>7756221
>that raven black Irish hair
>>
File: hungry.jpg (46 KB, 640x482) Image search: [Google]
hungry.jpg
46 KB, 640x482
>>7756219
I did the same thing you did ya big phony baloney

>>7756222
just memeing on ur ass son

>>7756221
the real butterfly hasn't been here since late 2013
>>
File: 1456509201464.png (317 KB, 600x637) Image search: [Google]
1456509201464.png
317 KB, 600x637
>>7756221
I'd hit it.
>>
>>7756192

>my point along with that Popper quote was that regardless of the branch you are in, meaning/pleasure/power, your effort or "will" is in the pursuit of power. You're trying to petrify/stun/contain a reality which is potentially out of your grasp.

But one could as easily say that you are trying to contain that reality in order to feel comfortable in it, or have a direction.

The way I see it, it's an equilateral pyramid of perspectives.
>>
>>7756230
There is nothing like waking up and getting rid of your morning wood by fantasizing about getting butters to experiment with the opposite sex
>>
>>7756223
I pissed off in that he's considered 'patrician' amongst various spheres outside of the mainstream.
>>
>>7756246
she is a lesbian you goon
>>
>>7756248
hence the "to experiment" and the "fantasizing"
>>
>>7756231

I like your theory of "comfiness"
I'll have to add "comfy" to my list of ways to interpret the world.
>>
>>7755892
You'll slowly learn that psychology is nothing but malleable and interchangeable terminology used by narcissists to play scientist.
>>
>>7756298
Jesus what a sad post.
>>
>>7756248
is it really you butters??
>>
>>7756295

It's not my theory. I think Epicures was one of the earliest lads to come up with it.
>>
>>7756298

Well, it probably is true in some cases. In the same way how CEO positions are sometimes occupied by sociopathic power-hungry egomaniacs. However, I would be against that generalization. I'm certain that since time immemorial there have been many people who legitimately sought to understand the mind and learn how to help and heal others.
>>
File: butter.jpg (39 KB, 641x482) Image search: [Google]
butter.jpg
39 KB, 641x482
>>7756307
no just some oldfags who know her tripcode.

the girl in the photo hasn't been here in years and the good impostor left months ago and wont come back.
>>
>>7756307
Yup. Or at least it was.
This is actually the first time someone has bother to crack the dumb trip, so I guess I'll taking off again.

>>7756337
Go on and be an ass. Only goes to topping my nearly 20,000 posts
>>
>>7756368
i'll never use it again if you upload a fresh timestamp and prove you're not an impostor

but we both no you can't do that can you?
>>
File: 1447189476325.jpg (31 KB, 275x253) Image search: [Google]
1447189476325.jpg
31 KB, 275x253
>>7756377
The point of my not posting anymore is to create the illusion you're promoting.
Thanks, fanboy.
Bye again.

-An anonymous butterfly
>>
>>7756408
no problem auntie
>>
>>7756408
pls don't leave
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.