[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/, first time poster and I need help. Just how the hell
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: download.jpg (10 KB, 201x251) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10 KB, 201x251
Hey /lit/, first time poster and I need help. Just how the hell do I enjoy Hemingway? Am I just missing something? I think that he paints a very descriptive picture but I just don't feel gripped and I'm losing all hope (I'm halfway through The Sun Also Rises).
>>
Read his short stories.

The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber
A Clean Well-Lighted Place
The Killers
>>
>>7755724
How do they differ?
>>
>>7755708
The Sun Also Rises is just young people drinking too much - the book
some witty lines here and there
some nice descriptions
the fishing trip part was a fun read and a nice break from the Paris drinks dinner then more drinks routine
a lot of beta orbiter cuck feels
Bret's a drunk slut basically
>>
>>7755782
>>7755708
read it, didn't like it. It just seemed like it dragged on for too long. How good is a farewell to arms? That is the next Hemmingway on my list.
>>
>>7755708
Hemmmingway is really all about feels in The Sun Also Rises.

Jake is crippled in his ability to love, and the fact that a man who he casually writes off as socially inept as well as physically unattractive (not to mention a sheltered pussy) fucks the girl he loves, then beats up him and his friends , is thiroughly emasculating. It's tragic. Couple that with the tension in his friendships, and you've got a pretty damn good novel.

Anyway, if you don't enjoy the whole treatise on masculinity you won't like the novel. But you should be able to enjoy the comfy setting as well as Hemingway's terse prose. It was revolutionary at the time.
>>
File: image.jpg (981 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
981 KB, 1600x1200
>>7755708

start here

own no bullets
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.