[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could we talk about art (drawn) vs. writing for a bit? Something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
Could we talk about art (drawn) vs. writing for a bit?
Something that I find slightly frustrating about writing is that people often lack the attention span to read.
With drawings or a painting you need only but to see the image for a moment to take it in. Of course the longer you look the more detail you may see, the more nuances you might uncover, but at the core you really only need 5-10 seconds.

My fiance says, "But does a drawing really stick with you like a book?" And I don't think so. Is that because the work is effectively done for us with a drawing? Nothing is left to the imagination with drawn art. Or is there more to it?
>>
>>7754681
>My fiance

fuck off normie, no one cares
>>
>But does a drawing really stick with you like a book?

I don't think so, because each is asking something of the audience that is fundamentally different from what the other asks. A passage from a book gives the reader context through the text both before and after the quote, while a painting leaves those dimensions of time completely nonexistent.
>>
>>7754695

>>/r9k/ with you
>>
>>7754707
sequential art is a thing, but yeah, for the most part art really only shows you an instantiation, a moment in time

to my mind, art certainly can be on par with literature in terms of meaning, just in very different ways
>>
>>7754737
>>7754707
Interesting thoughts.
Even with a passage your mind can go places that a picture prevents.
>>
>>7754764
actually, I think a picture takes you to places also.
there's an immediate drive to create context for this thing that you're looking at, so I think you start conceiving in your mind what actually did happen before and after what you're presented with

you tell yourself the story of the picture, i think in much the same way you try to picture what's happening in a story
>>
File: raphael-lacoste-scificity.jpg (182 KB, 1586x862) Image search: [Google]
raphael-lacoste-scificity.jpg
182 KB, 1586x862
>>7754783
Depends on the picture, though.
Here's an example that one could see beyond what's given. What is this place? Who are the people? What're they doing? What's happening here?
>>
>>7754789
that looks like the setting for a really weird space opera, cloud atlas style

source?
>>
>>7754714
>>>/newfag/
>>
>>7754681
>Nothing is left to the imagination with drawn art.
Absolutely agree. For this reason I believe literature is somewhat of a more worthwhile, more intellectual activity than drawn/painted art.

It's also because I fucking suck at drawing though
>>
>>7754823
well, at least you know where you're coming from
>>
>>7754804
Search the artist name (image title) on art station.
>>
>>7754823
Art has a place. Sometimes the ability to convey an idea very quickly is of great benefit.
>>
>>7754850
oh whoa I'm an idiot

thx m80
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.