[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you read any books when you had basically no interest in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7
File: ll10.jpg (176 KB, 818x529) Image search: [Google]
ll10.jpg
176 KB, 818x529
Have you read any books when you had basically no interest in doing so, just so you could say you've read it?
>>
im not a faggot so no lol
>>
>>7754648
I've tried, but I don't think I've finished any.
>>
>>7754648
That's what grad school feels like. Sometimes it's good though and I am glad I am doing it.
>>
GR

:(
>>
Tried to read naked lunch twice a few years apart to see what all the hype was about. Threw it in the trash the seccond time around.
>>
>>7754648
Yes. I read the Da Vinci Code when it was wildly popular a few years ago. There were already arguments about it being shit, but I wanted to find out for myself. The best thing I can say about it is that it keeps up the pace all the way through- the structure (many short chapters, etc) means it's definitely a "page turner"- so it doesn't actually take very long to read. Which is a good thing, because apart from that it's terrible, of course.
>>
>>7754648
slaughterhoue five. i kept thinking it has to get better, but it never did. thankfully it was only 200 pages
>>
File: 1438084849879.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
1438084849879.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>7754648
Not normally. However I did finish a history book on Rome by this Skullard guy and found his delivery quite repellent. I took the facts in well enough but his Christian Tory slant was just nauseating.

Nice reading space in your pic.
>>
File: 1234235.jpg (470 KB, 2320x3372) Image search: [Google]
1234235.jpg
470 KB, 2320x3372
>>7755695
glad to see you again butterfly, how has your life away from /lit/ been? any good stories to tell yet?
>>
>>7754648
that's every book I read
>>
I had literally no idea what The Brothers Karamazov was when I started reading it and now I'm like 250 pages in and I'm still kind of wondering what it's exactly about.
>>
>>7754648
Dune. Big disappointment.
>>
the bible.
>>
File: One.jpg (56 KB, 400x619) Image search: [Google]
One.jpg
56 KB, 400x619
>>7755702
Hi Miki poster.
Had sex with a couple of friends last December, which was really nice, walked around for days feeling great, but they're more of a couple so I'm still alone now, which is fine really. Sex is strange that way.
Rode the Bernie train for a little while, though I knew it was doomed. Maybe Hillary will pick a farther to the left VP.
A story I have mentioned before, that I first though of in 2007, remarkable mirrors Bernie's campaign. Except of course my character wins it.

Not confident enough to share anything much though.
>>
>>7754648
Reading Infinite Jest because of that. 100 pages in and it is just getting OK.
>>
>>7756029
so the lesbos orgy rumors were true after all
>>
>>7756043
Exact same here.
>>
Yeah. God damn Diana Gabaldon.

It was the first book of The Outlander series. I was introduced to the series by my mom. I tried to read it as a teenager. I couldn't get very far for whatever reason.

I read it a year ago. Got to a description of the heroine as a horse and after some hoarse laughing, I couldn't progress past that.

I tried to follow the TV show with her. I couldn't get into the adaptation at all.

In retrospect, I feel bad that I couldn't get into the same series as her. But I don't know much about the actual history period of that part of Scotland so I think I couldn't relax and let my brain unwind.
>>
Less Than Zero. What a poor execution.
A lot of books for school. But the ones I was interested in and enjoyed vastly outnumbered the others.
Slaughterhouse 5 and Catch 22 when I was a freshman in high school, reread both sophomore year of college and still didn't really enjoy them.
>>
>>7756043
I did the same. Got 350 pages in and got too bored so i'm putting it down for a while. It's not even very difficult to read or follow but it feels like a chore every time I pick it up.
>>
Often.

I'm an massive airhead and only interested in romantic love and escapism. So if I had my way I would just read rubbish forever.

It's important I feel to follow your heart and pursue what you love, but also to balance that with some doses of reality and stick to some schedule.

If you have a daily commute or manage your time well it's not hard. I read my loves in the morning on public transit. I read my hates in the evening, begrudgingly taking them to bed and hoping to inspire some dreams with deeper meaning.

But perhaps I'm a masochist >:3
>>
Any Dosto novel
So god damn boring
>>
>>7754648
i think that might be the book i'm about to read, the Iliad.
>>
File: 1450961486447.jpg (197 KB, 960x686) Image search: [Google]
1450961486447.jpg
197 KB, 960x686
>>7756029
>loose sex degenerate
>liberal
unsurprising.
>>
The Sound and The Fury

Faulkner should be banned from all libraries.
>>
>>7756685
You have something against incest?
>>
File: laughing girls.png (490 KB, 449x401) Image search: [Google]
laughing girls.png
490 KB, 449x401
>>7755985
>the book is called the brothers karamazov
>doesn't know what it's about
>>
>>7756687
it's p gross 2bh
>>
>>7756665
Dude, no. Okay, there is some boring shit (catalog of ships), but when it's good (which is most of the time) it is so fucking good! And the ending will break your heart.
>>
>>7756665
read pope. you will not like lattimore or fagles. READ POPE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD READ POPE
>>
>>7756692
you promise you're not memin me, bro?
>>
>>7754648
Every single one xD
>>
Had that experience with some parts of the New Testament. I mean, there are some interesting passages, but overall I had to force myself to soldier through it more often than not. Guess I'm a little bit spoiled by the more poetic and phillosophicaly complex religious text.

Currently doing that with Atlas Shrugged. It is a great and painful undertaking to be sure. Half the time though it's kinda fun though, just seeing how bad it is.
>>
>>7754814

Really? I listened to Slaughterhouse Five on audiobook and found it bretty captivating.
>>
>>7756649

You sound pretty self-reflective for a massive earhead only interested in romantic love and escapism. I feel weird about that.
>>
>>7754814
I liked slaughterhouse, the way it plays with time helped me understand some metaphysics
>>
>>7754648
I find it hard to do so. If I don't like it, I just close the book and grab another.
>>
>>7756879
I'm reading AS at the moment, just made it to part 3. I'm liking it, but the philosophy is kind of retarded, but yeah, it's a fun book if you don't take the philosophy and characters too seriously.
>>
>>7755985

The book is about three brothers, their name happens to be Karamazov.
Close the book and read the title if it slips your mind.
>>
>>7756689
>>7757033
Well yes obviously. But all I've taken so far from the book is that their father is a degenerate, Alyosha is a sweetheart and that the other brothers consistently screw up.
>>
Memecore like Pinecone and DFW.
>>
>>7756685
Yeah it's hard at first but once you figure out what's going on it's amazing
>>
>>7754648
Until about 3 years ago either I or my teachers/professors forced me through the classics.

At this point I try to find good literature that I enjoy and interests me fully.
>>
Steppenwolf. The begginig is alright but it juat drags on to weird stuff.
>>
>>7756693

Fagles is great senpai
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.