[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How To Prepare for Ulysses?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: Ulysses.jpg (167 KB, 1448x1863) Image search: [Google]
Ulysses.jpg
167 KB, 1448x1863
I have read Dubliners and will read Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man before I start Ulysses. But what books should I be familiar with before I start this?
>>
>>7754226
The Iliad, Odyssey and Aenid, obviously.
>>
>>7754226
just fucking read Ulysses.
>>
As long as you love the sounds of words you will enjoy it.
>>
>>7754230
Too Post-modern for me
>>
Just read it. It isn't nearly as hard as people make it out to be. Most of the references and allusions that will enhance your understanding of the text are too obscure to worry about and you should just look them up online when you come across them.
>>
>>7754251
yeah, like there's gonna be enough prepwork for understanding the entirety of Ulysses in one go. that's such bullshit. just enjoy it for your first go round. trust me, there's fucking PLENTY to come back to.
>>
Alright.
>>
At least read Odyssey.
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 472x352) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 472x352
>>7754226
Cut it out, chapter by chapter, staple it together and order it on your coffee table, then sculpt the characters out of plasticine and paint them by hand, now set sail for the Mediterranean and by the time you get back, your wife should have left you and you'll be ready to read Ulysses.

Godspeed, soldier.
>>
>>7754226
As mad as it sounds you should just read it.
You will never get it all on your first reading and you'll never appreciate the writing if you're trying to get all the references.
Jump straight in and just admire it.
>>
What is the worst chapter and why is it Scylla and Charybdis?
>>
>>7754297
I think Scylla & Charybdis was a nice chapter. Mr. Best was fun as fuck.

Read Odyssey + Hamlet + Joyce's other works, OP
>>
Annotated version will help.
>>
Illiad, Odyssey, Aenid, Hamlet are the VERY basics.
>>
>>7754226
if you read dubliners and portrait thats a good start - you'l be more familiar with joyce, some of his devices, several characters (you're less likely ti get confused in ulysses) and, importantly, you'l know where stephen dedalus is at (ish) when stately plump buck mulligan comes from the stairhead.
Also, at least read a plot summary of the odyssey so the structure of ulysses isnt lost on you.
That's all you need for a first reading.
>>
You're doing fine OP

Just finish Portrait and you'll be alright, ignore the memes.
>>
>>7754285
underrated post
>>
>>7754226
Read Finnegan's Wake first.
>>
This book was a favourite of a fat dumb bitch: marylin Monroe
You are better than her aren't you?
Just read it
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.