[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any books that quite clearly explain how it is one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 1.png (8 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
1.png
8 KB, 2000x1333
Are there any books that quite clearly explain how it is one properly interprets the contents of a novel?
>>
i would, but it transcends the meaning/unmeaning dichotomy.
>>
>>7753682
Fuck that.
>>
Just feel it
>>
>>7753685
Fuck that.
>>
Fuck it.
>>
>>7753689
Fuck that.
>>
>>7753689
How do you mean?
Why can no one give me a straight answer on this?
My parents don't read, so I have no idea whether I am correctly interpreting the novels that I do.
I grew up in the European equivalent of a shanty town so no one I know reads. My teachers didn't even read, I'm guessing, considering they hadn't a clue what they were doing.

Is there or is there not a book of this nature? I will continue reading either way, but I would prefer to have a different method of interpretation.
>>
>>7753695
there are probably bloom books on criticism and interpretation of literature. Harold Bloom.
>>
>>7753698
Thank you.
>>
I've asked this before and the answer I got was The Well-educated Mind by Susan Wise Bauer
>>
Waking Up by Sam Harris explains how to understand reality and all its contents at the most fundamental level possible by human beings. So that obviously includes novels.
>>
>>7753711
Thank you.

>>7753715
Fuck you.
>>
>>7753695
'How to read a book' by Adler is pretty good, even if it doesn't focus on book interpretation exactly.
Learning how to 'properly' interpret a book is mostly an acquired skill, something you learn over time. It's not an exact science, either, most books support several different (contradictory) interpretations.
>>
>>7753728
Nice. Thank you.
>>
>>7753679
Seriously? Start with the Greeks.
>>
>>7753776
I have read various books on Greek philosophy and literature, but perhaps I need to spend more time on it.

What specific books can you recommend that I could order off amazon?
Please do not give me a graph with a hundred books on it, type out a smaller amount, if you are bothered. Books that are fundamental to the understanding of a novel.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.