[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
best translation /thread/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5
File: 149188-004-E9F3D5B9.jpg (18 KB, 306x450) Image search: [Google]
149188-004-E9F3D5B9.jpg
18 KB, 306x450
i'll make this a general for others who are curious on what translation of a certain book is best

I'm wondering myself which translation of plato's republic would be best to read?
>>
Bloom's
>>
>>7753485
i'll get this out of the way.
>translations
>>
You don't need a translation
You should perform a seance and talk to Plato himself and ask him what did he mean by writing the Republic
>>
>>7753495
he'd still need a translator.
>>
Alan Bloom for sure, without a doubt, very academic and accurate. I've read that and the Jowett (the latter because i was young and it was cheap)
>>
>>7753525
>>7753490
thanks a lot, what else have you read by plato that you would recommend?

>>7753492
>>7753495
>>7753504
thnx for bumping
>>
>>7753530
Depends what you're interested in.

Symposium is a must.
>>
>>7753504
Nah, you just do a seance with a good greek to old english translator
Finding a old english to modern english translator is possible.
You basically only need 4 people
>>
>>7753547
but that's still a translator. you're disagreeing by agreeing with me.
>>
here are of my personal favorites for some commonly asked about works off the top of my head

>homer - iliad
fitzgerald
>homer - odyssey
fitzgerald
>virgil - aeneid
fitzgerald
>marcus aurelius - meditations
hays
>dante - divine comedy
mandelbaum
>cervantes - don quixote
smollett
>dumas - count of monte cristo
anonymous
>tolstoy - war and peace
dunnigan
>dostoevsky - notes from underground
matlaw revised garnett
>dostoevsky - brothers karamazov
matlaw's revised garnett
>dostoevsky - crime and punishment
coulson
>gogol - dead souls - guerney/fusso
>>
>>7753560
Ayyyyo You're absolutely right senpai. Sorry for not noticing
smash dat mf like button too
>>
>>7753567
petersburg - elsworth, Outlaws of the Marsh - Shapiro..
kudos on the smollett don quixote. my favorite too. i still own the grossman translation though.
>>
>>7753567
Not OP, where would you say the best place to start with Dostoevsky is?
>>
>>7753584
read the double and notes from underground, if you like it, read crime and punishment. from there you have access as you like.
>>
>>7753604
thanks, best translation for the double?
>>
>>7753611
garnett.
>>
>>7753485
Here to reiterate the suggestion of Bloom, which is probably the best translation available for *close study* of the Republic; there are definitely more *accessible* translations tho. The Joe Sachs is pretty good as far as that goes; it doesn't improve on Bloom, but it does make the going easier if you just need to work through a few pages and not necessarily need to keep track of the uses of a particular term's repetitions. The Raymond Larson and Tom Griffith translations are quite fine as well. But Bloom tops them all, in my experience anyway.
>>
>>7753485
r/Does anyone have image of Plato tipping pileus?

I need it.
>>
>>7753485
QUIXOTE PLEASE SOMEONE I BEG YOU PLEASE PLEASE SOMEBODY ANYBODY :'(

MY GF JUST LEFT ME ;'(
>>
>>7753485
>>7753567
Master and Margarita, please.
>>
>>7754123
burgin o'connor.
>>
Reminder that there is no best translation of anything and it depends on what you want from a translation.
>>
>>7754190
what of the filter of the mind?
>>
>>7753584
i'm the anon who made that list, i'd also recommend notes from underground as well to start.
>>
>>7753485
Seamus Heaney Beowulf is best Beowulf
>>
>>7754638
Its the easiest to understand but it doesn't come close to the beauty of the other translations.
>>
>>7754190
Reminder that there's better and worse
>>
>>7754606
I'd say start with Crime and Punishment because it's more clear and direct but Notes is an awful lot of fun to untangle.

I think it's better if you've experienced some of Dostoyevsky's other stuff first.
>>
>>7754649
sure, i can agree with that.
>>
Best translation for the stranger guys?
>>
>>7753525
I'm okay with streamlining archaic phrasings, but Bloom inserts himself into Plato too much. The Hackett edition by Reeve is the modern standard.
>>
>>7753485
Oggsford.
>>
File: chart.png (2 MB, 2000x7594) Image search: [Google]
chart.png
2 MB, 2000x7594
>>
>>7754664
>someone agrees with me on the thai shadow puppetry website

damn i better write this down
>>
Jowett is fine
>>
File: AICTP.png (7 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
AICTP.png
7 KB, 500x500
This seem as good a place to dump this as any. I didn't wanna make a new thread.

Abbreviations are useful in language. While thumbing through the Book of Mormon, I realized the meme is true: the phrase "And It Came To Pass" and close variants occur on almost every page, often multiple times, and beginning several verses.

It happens so much that it seems to me that the written word would not suffer if a standard set of abbreviations for the above were introduced. I therefore prose one version, though a simple symbol might do just as good.
>>
>>7754683
I don't see how that's quite the case for Bloom; looking over the Greek and his translation, he's not as woodenly literal as anyone makes him out to be, but he's very consistent about key words. Reeve on the other hand gets rid of Socrates' narration, apparently missing at least some of the point of it, changing the "narrated dialogue" format of the Greek into the "dramatic dialogue" format of some of the other dialogues (Like Meno or Gorgias).
>>
>>7754795
john ciardi does not seem to be terza rima
>>
File: 9462.jpg (23 KB, 317x475) Image search: [Google]
9462.jpg
23 KB, 317x475
>>7754975
What about this one?
>>
>>7754975
>>7756366
For a "best translation" thread, neither Jowett nor the complete works translations are especially great. Convenient volume, but not good translations.
>>
>>7754643
What is the best translation then?
>>
>>7753567
fitzgerald? why not littimore?
>>
>>7754808
sometimes I really do wish there was a website for discussing that.
>>
>>7756531
i do enjoy lattimore's homer as well, i just enjoy fitzgerald's verse maybe a little more? it's very close.

the great thing about homer (and to a lesser extent, virgil) is there are dozens of translations that are very well done, allowing for variation in personal taste.

i've read iliad, odyssey by lattimore, fitzgerald and fagles, and i think all 3 are quite good.
>>
>>7756603
which would you suggest for a beginner, one not totally interested in the scholarly aspect, but more the entertaining aspect?
>>
>>7756625
probably fagles. easiest to read and a bit more exciting
>>
>>7756638
the closer i get to finishing the book i'm reading, the less I want to move on to Homer. I mean, hundreds of pages of gods fucking shit up and spears piercing people's nipples and manly coitus and all that shit sounds great at first.. I just don't know if i'll be able to manage it without killing my current spark of reading. Was it worth reading Homer, were there references you noticed later on in literature that gave you a more thorough understanding of the books you were reading? Should I read both? I'm not hugely worried about being considered an intellectual, but I'm just not sure about all of this.
>>
>>7753567
Any other opinions on a translation for Notes from Underground?
I want to hear some pros and cons
>>
>>7756655
i studied classics and history in college, so yes, reading homer was obviously worth it. references to the heroes, gods, events, and so on in homer come up quite often.

even for me, parts of the iliad can drag, so i understand. i don't have any problem with the odyssey though, since it is a more of an adventure and i like odysseus.

if you are planning on reading any other myth or classical writings or philosophy, then i'd say it's a must read. i'm the type of person that thinks everyone should read homer though, because the classics are an important part to any well rounded liberal arts education.

>>7756672
sorry, matlaw/garnett is the only copy i've read fully. i have compared my copy to excerpts from the pevear/volokhonsky, which i found to be not so good.
>>
>>7754665
Bump. Anyone?
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.