[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I haven't read a book in over a decade. Recommend me something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: master.jpg (74 KB, 960x625) Image search: [Google]
master.jpg
74 KB, 960x625
I haven't read a book in over a decade.

Recommend me something good.
>>
>>7753077
finnegans wake
>>
>>7753077
book of the new sun
>>
The Long Ships
>>
>>7753077
Art Of The Deal
>>
>>7753077
Damn son. Trump was balling in Bel Aire back in the day?
>>
The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro. Make a cup of tea to go with it
>>
>>7753104
this
>>
>>7753077
Anything by Lacan.
>>
The Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius
>>
Harold Bloom in How to Read and Why sets out the following list of books, books which he believes have the power to instill in one a life-long love of aesthetically and intellectually great literature.

Short Stories

Ivan Turgenev "Bezhin Lea" and "Kasyan from the Beautiful Lands."

Anton Chekhov "The Kiss" and "The Student" and "The Lady with the Dog"

Guy de Maupassant "Madame Tellier's Establishment" and "The Horla"

Ernest Hemingway "Hill Like White Elephants" and "God Rest You Merry, Gentleman" and "The Snows of Kilimanjaro" and "A Sea Change"

Flannery O'Connor "A Good Man is Hard to Find" and "Good Country People" and "A View of the Woods"

Vladimir Nabokov's "The Vane Sisters"

Jorge Luis Borges "Tlon, Ugbar, Orbis Tertius"

Tommaso Landolfi "Gogol's Wife"

Italo Calvino "Invisible Cities"

Poems

A. E. Housman "Into My Heart an Air That Kills"

William Blake "The Sick Rose"

Walter Savage Landor "On His Seventy-fifth Birthday"

Alfred Lord Tennyson "The Eagle" and "Ulysses

Robert Browning "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came"

Walt Whitman "Song of Myself"

Emily Dickinson "Poem 1260 - Because That You Are Going"

Emily Bronte "Stanzas: Often Rebuked, Yet Always Back Returning"

Popular Ballads "Sir Patrick Spence" and "The Unquiet Grave"

Anonymous "Tom O'Bedlam"

Shakespeare's "Sonnet 121 - Tis Better to Be Vil Than Vile Esteemed" and "Sonnet 129 - The Expense of Spirit in a Waste of Shame" and "Sonnet 144 - Two Loves I have, of Comfort and Despair"

John Milton "Paradise Lost"

William Wordsworth "A Slumber Did My Spirit Seal" and "My Heart Leaps Up When I Behold"

Samuel Taylor Coleridge "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner"

Percy Bysshe Shelley "The Triumph of Life"

John Keats "La Belle Dame Sans Merci"

Novels - Part I

Miguel de Cervantes "Don Quixote"

Stendhal "The Charterhouse of Parma"

Jane Austen "Emma"

Charles Dickens "Great Expectations"

Fyodor Dostoevsky "Crime and Punishment"

Henry James "The Portrait of a Lady"

Marcel Proust "In Search of Lost Time"

Thomas Mann "The Magic Mountain"

Plays

Shakespeare "Hamlet"

Henrik Ibsen "Hedda Gabler"

Oscar Wilde "The Importance of Being Earnest"

Novels - Part II

Herman Melville "Moby Dick"

William Faulkner "As I Lay Dying"

Nathanael West "Miss Lonelyhearts"

Thomas Pynchon "The Crying of Lot 49"

Cormac McCarthy "Blood Meridian"

Ralph Ellison "Invisible Man"

Toni Morrison "Song of Solomon"
>>
>>7753104
>>
I suspect that beneath your offensively and vulgarly effeminate façade there may be a soul of sorts. Have you read widely in Boethius?
If not then you must begin a reading program immediately so that you may understand the crises of our age. Begin with the late Romans, including Boethius, of course. Then you should dip rather extensively into early Medieval. You may skip the Renaissance and the Enlightenment. That is mostly dangerous propaganda. Now that I think of it, you had better skip the Romantics and the Victorians, too. For the contemporary period, you should study some selected comic books.
I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.
>>
>>7753407
thanks Ignatius.
>>
>>7753241
>>7753104
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.