[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
my prose is fucking horrible. how can i improve?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: 1447013303101.jpg (57 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
1447013303101.jpg
57 KB, 900x675
my prose is fucking horrible.
how can i improve?
>>
what authors do you enjoy? take some of their work and copy it letter by letter. study it as if you were creating it
>>
>>7752016

read better writers and model yourself after them without blatantly ripping off their style.
>>
File: 1452039170877.gif (1 MB, 509x373) Image search: [Google]
1452039170877.gif
1 MB, 509x373
a good dose of cyanide
>>
>>7752016
You can transcend prose by just giving up on it.
>>
You will never improve because you're shit.
>>
start posting on [s4s]
>>
Ignore everyone else: read poetry
>>
>>7752155
This is good advice.
>>
>>7752230
This, and just read good writers.
>>
>>7752155
>>7752454
[s4s] might be the most embarrassingly bad board on this site.
>>
Please stop posting pictures of faces that I want to jizz all over, OP.
>>
>>7752016
step 1: realize that good writing is about content, not form
step 2: give yourself a good ten or twenty years and learn something about life
step 3: realize that the only things worth writing about have already been written, and everyone who writes does it for the same reason people take selfies
step 4: never write anything again unless your boss tells you to

anon (fails to take own advice)
>>
>>7752016
Source
>>
https://andrewgearywrites.wordpress.com/2015/08/30/how-2-writ-gud-on-why-writing-guides-and-tips-are-bullshit/
>>
>>7752488
missing the point
>>
>>7752532
>There is also the fact that there really isn’t anything aside from banalities that one can offer when it comes to writing, or at least when you’re writing an article that targets everyone.

jej who the fuck is this guy

Fiction is a craft as old as humans are, anyone who says its some "just feel it bro" thing is full of shit.
>>
>>7752539
That OP's writing won't look so bad any more if he goes to [s4s]?
>>
>>7752230
This together with rediscovering who I really was as a person and dropping all pretense has helped me out tremendously

I'm not English and I was mostly interested in learning how to speak like a normie, but my writing got better too

Alcohol helps also
>>
>>7752514
>falling for le content vs form meme
it's like you've never written literature
>>
>>7752488
[s4s] is the best board from any chan
>>7752155
fantastic advice

Marvelous duplicates all around, cheers.
>>
>>7752514
it's really about form, not content.

also this is a really bad post
>>
>>7752521
...still no source, OP.
Check em.
>>
>>7752016
You already fucking know, the answer is read more and write more.
>>
>>7752751
[s4s] is a shitty attempt at emulating a style of humor that got old ten years ago.
>>
>>7753013
never gets old
>>
>>7753039
It wouldn't be so bad if the people there had any amount of cleverness or creativity, but, much like the rest of 4chan, they don't.
>>
The best board on any chan is 4chan's /lit/, as we are the only board whose primary topic of discussion is something of any value whatsoever, even if we treat it in the most superficial possible way.
>>
>>7753052
what type of humour do you like?
do you have a favourite comedian?
i consistently find it the funniest thing on the internet but know that many others will just not get it
>>
>>7753090
I guess if you hadn't really encountered that style of humor before then you'd find it really funny, but like I said, it was really big back in 2005-2008 and there were people who did it much, much better.
>>
>>7753118
i'm old
examples?
>>
>>7753118
i will say that i only find it funny for 10 minutes at a time; it's as if my brain adjusts to the logic and doesn't find it funny anymore
i go maybe once a month when reminded of its existence
>>
>>7753121
Talking about the FYAD forum of the Something Awful forums back in 2005-2008. Same kind of humor, but typically more satirical and actually funny a good amount of the time, mainly because they actively alienated unfunny people and often banned them from posting/deleted their posts. You needed to have paid money to view it though, so it's not surprising you wouldn't have found it
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.