[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it even worth taking the time to complete a novel? I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: JohnKricfalusi.jpg (1 MB, 1408x2112) Image search: [Google]
JohnKricfalusi.jpg
1 MB, 1408x2112
Is it even worth taking the time to complete a novel?

I've found very minor success with my poetry, managing to get some published a while back. Since then, I've been working on a novel, but it's hard to believe it's worth it.

How valuable is a completed novel? If I really hunker down and work hard for the next six months, what can I realistically expect will happen once it's done?

If I pour my heart and time into something that ends up going nowhere, I'll probably kill myself. I've spent a lifetime suffering for the written, it's not fulfilling anymore on its own without the promise of some kind of external success or recognition.
>>
fuck u, John K. don't worry about novels and go finish Cans Without Labels
>>
If you just want attention do standup
>>
>>7751049
lol'd
>>
>>7750975
>If I pour my heart and time into something that ends up going nowhere, I'll probably kill myself.
You already have the right attitude to be a writer.
>>
File: top_target_books.png (113 KB, 615x578) Image search: [Google]
top_target_books.png
113 KB, 615x578
>>7750975
>write very dry story about love affair between two teens
>give one fatal illness
>have the other fight in a battle royale to find the cure
>end the book in an awkward S&M romp in a hospital room
>vol 1 done

You just gotta know the book buying market.
>>
File: Impressive.jpg (18 KB, 377x351) Image search: [Google]
Impressive.jpg
18 KB, 377x351
>>7751111
You have inspired me.
>>
>>7751111
I'm writing something about gay alcoholic transgender teens, one of whom has an intellectual disability. The tumblr crowd will love it.
>>
>>7750975
>wants attention
>doesn't want any risk
Boy have I got the right medium for you!
shitposting on 4chan!
>>
>>7750975
If you're writing for it to be "worth something" in material terms you really shouldn't bother at all unless you plan on writing minimum effort erotica that you'd self-publish online.
>>
>>7750975
>want external success or recognition
>expects this if he "just" hunkers down for the next six months
>"Is it even worth taking the time to complete a novel?"
Listen, if you enjoy writing you keep doing it. You write a lot of shit, and you maybe write something you like every once in a while. If the good outnumber the bad and you feel like you actually end up with something that's decent, good. If not, you just keep writing, because remember you enjoy the process of writing right?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.