[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
best /lit/ college?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 11
File: Hanginggardens.jpg (156 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
Hanginggardens.jpg
156 KB, 620x387
Colleges with the best english departments/curriculums?
>>
File: lololol.jpg (81 KB, 806x401) Image search: [Google]
lololol.jpg
81 KB, 806x401
>>7750658
St. John's College is a private liberal arts college known for its distinctive curriculum centered on reading and discussing the Great Books of Western Civilization.

Go to a state school on the cheap, do an honors curriculum, get letters from distinguished professors, do your MA/MFA at someplace funded
>>
hello is this where I order my caramel latte with extra foam?
>>
>>7750658
the internet is the only way you can learn about the humanities without getting assaulted by cultural marxism. University is just a plot to get you indebted and indoctrinated
>>
>>7750692
>implying

If you go to the best schools, it doesn't matter what course you do. The prestige of the school and the connections you make will be enough to get you by.
>>
File: 83271737237.jpg (284 KB, 1161x869) Image search: [Google]
83271737237.jpg
284 KB, 1161x869
O X B R I D G E
X
B
R
I
D
G
E
>>
I literally can't express how much better my life has been since I attended Oxford. I went to a state school and gradually became the stereotypical moody, withdrawn sensitive type who both despises the quality of his immediate culture and feels a weird pride for having been raised in a sort of anti-intellectual and brutal environment. I was all set to take my Russell Group humanities BA and spend my life working as an anonymous, insecure wageslave forever thankful of being offered a job and forever too insecure to pursue my creative ambitions. The chip on my shoulder had become something of a wedge, and I felt too out of place regardless of my environment, too resentful and bitter to even attempt to make it in the artistic world. Then I finally applied for Oxford and got in to study an English MA, with reassurance that should I work hard enough a career in academia or within one of Oxford's affiliated companies would be almost guaranteed. I turned up as apprehensive as usual, and the first few days were spent regretting my decision and desperately feigning a cultured personality. But then I realized that the people there were just interesting and that the snobbery and exclusivity I had anticipated was just a myth borne out of my working class upbringing. I've since graduated, having spend the year dining in grand halls with groups of interesting people, dating several girls (one of whom, a petite Russian whose family traces back to the aristocracy, is now my fiancee). I work four days a week at a publishing company and earn £38k a year. I regularly meet up with friends from my college and visit Oxford for nights out and for meetings with my professors. The Martin Eden-esque novel I have been writing for two years has been selected for publication at a major British publishing house and, honestly, I could not have imagined a few years ago how great life could be. I come on /lit/ and see how pathetic you all are and just shake my head and chuckle. If I saw you guys on the street I would of course throw you a penny or discuss Bukowski or whatever "realist" writers you enjoy, but ultimately I would be able to tell within ten seconds if you're an Oxbridge grad and would dismiss you as a potential source of good company if you are not. I never thought I'd know what it was like to be objectively better than somebody else, for the value of my existence to be superior to the value of a stranger's, but now I do and I've never been happier. People are awed by power and prestige. All I need to do is mention the university I attended (if only for a year) and they immediately begin to hunch and look at their feet because they know they are in the presence of greatness.
>>
File: tumblr_nutltznf0r1show97o1_250.png (30 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nutltznf0r1show97o1_250.png
30 KB, 250x250
>>7750708
Why does he have a piece of toast on his neck
>>
Not UVIC
>>
>>7750719
It's not toast, it's a neckbread. He's the upper crust.
>>
>>7750701
"no"
>>
>>7750763
"yes"
>>
>>7750684
This sounds like a reasonable idea, I like it
>>
Reading For Whom the Bell Tolls right now
Pretty comfy
>>
>>7750950
at which school?
>>
I went to a 3rd tier state school and I was surrounded by mouth breathing mongoloids
>>
is St. John's actually paying for advertising on fucking 4chan? bwahahaha, some douchebag administrator probably paid a "social media marketing" firm a big check to promote the school not realizing that it would include being spammed on shitty dumps like 4chan, lmao, if they have that little oversight with their budget no wonder it costs a fucking bajillion bucks to get a b-tier diploma for there lol
>>
>>7750684
fuck off shill
>>
>>7750731
upper level synthesis
>>
>>7750713
not even tldr'ing your pasta
-2/10
>>
File: hermes tie.jpg (16 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
hermes tie.jpg
16 KB, 400x300
>>7750763
Actually yes, you flyover-state troglodyte. I know a man who used to be a partner at Goldman. Nigga majored in Classics at a NESCAC school. Not Classics and Econ or Math. Just Classics.

I know a guy at the same school who's majoring in Art History with a six-figure banking job lined up, another who majored in Neuroscience who's a management consultant, and yet another who works at a hedge fund with a degree in a social sciences field.

The most common concentration at Harvard is a dual in Literature and History. Do you think all those people are baristas now?
>>
File: couple_415.jpg (61 KB, 415x487) Image search: [Google]
couple_415.jpg
61 KB, 415x487
>>7750763
>BA Literature
>Net Worth: 1.81 Billion USD

stay mad, nerd
>>
I grew up in something that's one step up from a complete ghetto. I made it to an Ivy League school on the back of a combination of affirmative action and an athletic scholarship.

My classmates were all your traditional, blue blood type elites. My professors were the leading experts of their fields.

Every single one of them wanted nothing more than to be shown the base and degenerate aspects of society, and to experience it through whatever avenue possible. This includes emotional, intellectual, and physical. I'm talking humiliation and abuse - in bed and out of bed.

(I'm a faggot in case you haven't figured this out yet. I know you guys suck at reading comprehension.)

One of my teammates, an otherwise proper, respectable, and charismatic white boy had the biggest orgasm of his life (or so he tells me) from having a $10,000 bottle of wine poured over him while I fucked him. Another one specifically requested I whip him with his violin bow. Many more want to experience prison rape or some other comparable scenario in the bedroom. I had a professor suck me off in his office while specifically requesting I shout verbal abuse relating to the emptiness and uselessness of his particular field of study. My experience is not at all uncommon from what I hear.

Your so-called "elites" just want to be treated like crap by ghetto filth. Next time you meet up with an Ivy grad, just remember there's a good chance the same mouth that's speaking eloquently about politics, culture, or whatever other topic is probably the same mouth that sucked big black cock the night before.
>>
File: saddest frog.jpg (11 KB, 228x221) Image search: [Google]
saddest frog.jpg
11 KB, 228x221
Is it /lit/ to go to a very low ranked school and be effectively the biggest fish in the pond in terms of absolutely everything but being completely unfulfilled and unchallenged?
>>
>>7751703
No. With the amount of people going to college these days, it's really bad if you aren't at the top, especially if you're at a shitty one.
>>
File: trumppepe.jpg (135 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
trumppepe.jpg
135 KB, 640x640
>>7751703
How low-ranked?

The only acceptable universities are the ones listed in the Fiske guide to colleges. If it's not in there, it's a trumped-up teacher's college/normal school.
>>
>>7751725
ranked 401-500 in the world (no single ranking)
basically the category for "we are aware it exists but its not worth reviewing in detail"
my country isnt covered by fiske
>>
>>7751733
Might not be that bad, depending. I just checked, and an American state school that's Fiske ranked is lower than that, so it's a toss-up.

Loads of good authors had unprestigious educations, so if you're asking if it's /lit/ or not, you're fine.
>>
>>7750658
In the US:
Columbia
Williams College
Harvard
Yale
Princeton
Penn
UVA
Berkeley

This isn't an exhaustive list, just the first to pop into my head based on people I know, stuff I've read, and prominent programs/faculty.
>>
>>7751696
If this isn't pasta it should be
>>
>>7751830
uva is a STEMlord/frat school
berkele is SJW central now
penn is also STEMlord/finance fag school
penn state is even worse if you didn't mean upenn.
>>
>>7750719
old meme
>>7750731
good interpretation
>>
>>7751511
fignewton pls go stay go
>>
>>7751835
it is
>>
damn ive been blowing farts all night wtf did i eat shit
>>
>>7750721
What about UBC? Canadian universities aren't talked about near as much as American ones, but I'd love to hear about how they stack up. Best Canadian universities for English/liberal arts, anybody? Best level of education to study at, etc.? Anyone else here from UBC?
>>
>>7750713
Nice b8
Oh I am laffin
>>
>>7751558
A lot of those people got their job the same reason they got into Harvard: personal or family connections, rather than those from Harvard itself
>>
File: 1446140944765.png (1 MB, 1124x1024) Image search: [Google]
1446140944765.png
1 MB, 1124x1024
>>7752845
>b8
IT'S LITERALLY THE MOST COMMON PASTA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>7750721
VIU is largely shit but surprisingly there are some fantastic profs here. If any VIU'ers are on I would recommend taking a course with Clay Armstrong, his classes are bullshit free.
>>
>>7753270
now tell us how you really feel
>>
>>7753262
That's not nearly as common as resentful outsiders like to believe. Each class at Harvard is like 1,500 people, and maybe 100 are the children of donors and such.

They list how many are legacies, by the way. That stuff is public information.
>>
>>7751725
>Fiske guide
I don't know man, I've read the Fiske guide and a lot of the schools on there aren't that great.
>>
>>7750701
I've never seen nepotism work out in my work in chemistry. Kids will get positions maybe because of a name or acclaimed college but if they can't hang they'll be too expensive to hold on to. Fired in a week.
>>
Anyone /nyc-college/ here?
>>
>>7750684
Not all states have schools with distinguished professors. Most people graduate with about 25k in debt at St John's, which is usually less than the debt at a state school.
>>
>>7752845
Hello newfriend
>>
Hey I'm looking for a small rural school with a great English department, preferably in Vermont, Maine or new Hampshire
>>
>>7755184
Marlboro College
>>
>>7755100
alumnus but hi. still in city.
>>
>>7755184
Bennington, Bowdoin, Bates
>>
>>7755112
where did you get the source for that, st johns website?
>>
>>7755184
Plymouth State
>>
I go to a small-ish LAC in rural New York. Most of the English programs around here are decent. NY has a pretty good literary tradition. That being you don't need to go to an ivy-tier school to learn about books. That's just where rich white kids go to look better for knowing the same stuff
>>
>>7755213
Hey there. Alma mater?
>>
iowa
>>
>>7755373
nyu
>>
File: me ponder.jpg (34 KB, 543x549) Image search: [Google]
me ponder.jpg
34 KB, 543x549
Does anyone know how bureaucratic or complex applying to postgrad in the US is for a UK student?

Im on track for a 1:1 (4.0 gpa in US) at a fairly plebian UK uni and was thinking of doing the GRE so I can apply to some mid-high tier US colleges just to get a wider spread of potential "yes" responses
>>
I'm going to be attending Hamilton College in the fall? Is it any good for lit/phil?
>>
>>7755620
All they want is your sweet, sweet private loan money at 8% interest to you and pure profit to them.

Its incredibly easy.
>>
>>7754957
They aren't great, but they mostly deserve the title of "University." I'd say anything that didn't make the cut doesn't because you're very unlikely to make it into a profession that requires university-level acumen without a degree from one of those schools.
>>
>>7755580
I'm a sophomore here. Would you be interested in hanging out? Maybe smoke a bowl, talk?
>>
>>7757388
sure. leave contact info.
>>
>>7751558
>a six-figure banking job lined up
>works at a hedge fund
& especially
>management consultant

> implying these are good jobs
>>
>>7757683
what do you do? slave labor for a tech/engineering company making 80k a year out of undergrad and then peaking at under 200k for the rest of your life? STEMfags are always so predictable
>>
>>7757698
> making 80k a year out of undergrad and then peaking at under 200k for the rest of your life?

I don't believe that people who care about money this much actually exist
>>
>tfw majored in Comp Sci
>will be a worker drone for the rest of my life and never make any artistic contribution that measures up to the only people I respect
>>
>>7757779
If you're going to choose a course of study for financial reasons, you might as well go all the way and try to break into either finance, consulting or medicine. You don't need to major in a STEM field to do any of those and they all have mid-career salaries of over 200k with lots of room to move up from there. Same can't be said for a lot of jobs that require STEM degrees where you'll work just as hard.
>>
>>7755184
Middlebury College
>>
>>7757788
im trying to move sideways from comp sci
im doing all the artificial intelligence and language processing stuff
so maybe one day ill be chomsky tier and able to write about how the mind works, how ideas are held and processed

just stay the fuck away from the professional/business stuff aimed at making code monkeys/database guys
>>
>>7757683
Why are they bad jobs? Management consultancy is one of the prime jobs for people going to elite business schools because it's like doing rotations at different companies and is very well-compensated.
>>
>>7757510
Throwaway: [email protected]
>>
>>7758226
shot you an email
>>
>>7751082
I went to a top 10 school and was surrounded by "I didn't go to this school to read X" and "When will I ever need to know the stuff in book Y"
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.