[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm trying to read Lévi-Strauss, I've decided to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: Claude-Levi-Strauss-1965.jpg (75 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Claude-Levi-Strauss-1965.jpg
75 KB, 1000x1000
So I'm trying to read Lévi-Strauss, I've decided to start with Tristes Tropiques. Is it worth it?
I'm more interested in the anthropological theory than ethnographical elements.
>>
File: IMG_20160206_142150.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160206_142150.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
Why the fuck would you read Tristes tropiques if youre interested in theory, check out his "pensée sauvage" or something similar instead
>>
Structuralism was superseded by post-structuralism and postmodern deconstructionism. Strauss’ theories are interesting, but no longer accepted by most academic establishments.
>>
File: kottak.jpg (32 KB, 351x499) Image search: [Google]
kottak.jpg
32 KB, 351x499
This is a much better read.
>>
>>7750772
because postmodern deconstructionism is accepted by the academic establishment. lmao
>>
>>7750772
>implying triste tropiques had anything to do with structuralism

try reading a book ya fucking dweeb
>>
He was a meme tier author of genre fiction who had NO DISCERNIBLE TALENT.
>>
tristes tropiques is a book he wrote to ventilate his repressed frustrations as an artist.

i think la pensee sauvage is not a good start, as one needs a bit of familiarity with his previous work. anthropologie structurale is the one you are looking for.

bump cause he and bourdieu are the only relevant authros from that french postwar wave.
>>
what do I need to know before reading Mythologiques?
>>
>>7753610
thats a huge one... but as a matter of fact i think it can stand on its own.
>>
>>7753597
Yes, you might be right with recommending Anthropologie structurale, my bad.
>>
>>7754730
theres also a little one called Myth and Meaning that would not be a bad 1st one.
>>
>>7750397
Read Structuralism and Ecology, if you have a good base already, I quite enjoyed it and it's a good place to start
>>
>>7753597
Come on mate, I love Bourdieu and Lévi-Strauss, but still. You've got to be kidding me to say they're the only two who worth it

>>7750397
Yes it's worth it, go on pal
I don't know if that interests you (or maybe you already know that), but as a side note, the border between anthropology and ethnography is less relevant nowadays than what Lévi-Strauss theorized
>>
I'm glad to see the popping up of Anthropology threads on here as of late.
>>
>>7753610
Totemism and The Savage Mind
>>
Best Lévi-Strauss intro: https://mwba.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/1990-almeida-symmetry-and-entropy-revista-current-anthropology.pdf
>>
File: pic.jpg (143 KB, 539x369) Image search: [Google]
pic.jpg
143 KB, 539x369
>>7755646
this

the step will be complete when they acknowledge the greatness of Bateson.

For the time being I think we're getting close to stuff like Geertz I think.
>>
File: geertz.jpg (650 KB, 623x950) Image search: [Google]
geertz.jpg
650 KB, 623x950
>>
>>7755763
I only read Steps to an Ecology of Mind quite a long time ago, I liked it
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.