[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bukowski
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: bukowski.jpg (166 KB, 650x883) Image search: [Google]
bukowski.jpg
166 KB, 650x883
How do I into Bukowski? I wanna know /lit/
>>
>>7750270
dont bother he's garbage
>>
start with his poetry.
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 610x324) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 610x324
Read Post Office. It might be his best.
>>
>>7750270
Read Hemingway while drunk, same thing.
>>
Does anybody have the video were he's drunk and hes arguing with hiswife and punches her?
>>
>>7750270
don't waste your time
>>
>>7750997
I am reading this now and it feels crude. In the first chapter he already manages to become repetitive. Is he any good? Maybe his story telling might be interesting, but I suspect that it is mostly vulgar lower class things meant to shock some Middle class American university types.
>>
>>7751462
All of his books are mostly about him getting drunk, fucking whores, working shitty jobs and betting on horses. If you read Post Office and Ham on Rye you're not missing out on much if you don't read his other novels, though Factotum is also worth reading in my opinion. His poetry is where he shines, so I would recommend that.
>>
>>7750270
1. Locate any Bukowski book
2. Deposit book in trash
3. You now know all you need to know about Bukowski
>>
>>7751562
What audiences does he aim his books at? What people typically enjoy Bukowski? Makes a man wonder.

>poetry
Isn't it 'poetry' i.e. trash without metre on par with teenager's first love poem?
>>
His novels are entertaining pulp reads. Not enough pretentious for /lit/ tastes. Mostly insecure betas affairs to like things that some women like.
>>
>>7750270

Read ham on rye, dabble in lowercase poetry for a couple of years, and then grow out of it as a young adult (srs).
>>
>>7751621
>What people typically enjoy Bukowski?

Young impressionable people who don't know any better because they haven't yet read any writers that are actually good.
>>
>>7751621
>>7751760

He reminds me of a drunk, convinced of his imminent doom and confessing his sins to any who will listen. his prose is crude but digestable, and what comes out is honest. I like his work.
>>
>>7750270
I love Bukowski but it is tough to argue for him. He isn't particularly brilliant or anything.

But at the end of the day, I did really enjoy all of his novels and had a bit of fun with his poems.

Read Women or Ham on Rye to get started.
>>
every day im becoming more convinced its a lit meme to hate bukowski, thanks to the work of a certain persistent tripfag anti-shill-poster
>>
>>7753096
This; I get the feeling he's to poetry what McDonald's is to food. He's not particularly intelligent or clever, but sometimes he's exactly what you need
>>
What's a good collection of his poetry?
>>
>>7753358
Pleasures of the Damned is pretty darn excellent
>>
>>7753385
Thanks man.
>>
>>7753338
You can like him if you want. You're just stupid. It's not really a huge problem. Most people are stupid, but most people are at least intelligent enough to not like Bukowski. You are stupider than most people.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.