[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where does this 'BNW is dystopic' meme come from?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: BraveNewWorld_FirstEdition.jpg (54 KB, 301x452) Image search: [Google]
BraveNewWorld_FirstEdition.jpg
54 KB, 301x452
Where does this 'BNW is dystopic' meme come from?

You realise Huxley only said that back peddling decades later when he was catering to the new age community, right?

You also realise Island is pretty much BNW dressed up in hippie rags, right?
>>
>>7749530
I think it comes from the fact that it's massively apparent in the text. Stop clogging the board with your stupid clickbait shitposts.
>>
None of the main characters end up happy. The story ends with a suicide. How could you consider this anything but dystopic?
>>
>>7749638
Quote some examples please.
>>
>>7742371
>>
>>7749643
I dunno, there are certainly leftists who would float over the suicide of counter revolutionaries and dismiss the idea of happiness you're using as a bourgeois construct with no basis in a humane reality.
>>
>>7750299
He can cp literally the entire book.
>>
I fell asleep while reading that garbage, no discernible talent
>>
>>7750388
...but BNW is a leftist work.
>>
>>7749643
Two of the three edgelords get sent to edgelord utopia where they can spend their lives being edgy sponsored by the state.

Only the savage gets fucked. Literally one person in the entire BNW world gets fucked.
>>
BNW is LITERALLY the story of an affluent person who gets so redpilled that he metaphorically burns down the system and walks away to try and make his own destiny with the girl of his dreams.

I'd expect that 4chan would appreciate that, but apparently you're all tasteless hacks.
>>
File: Bernard Marx.jpg (59 KB, 1160x629) Image search: [Google]
Bernard Marx.jpg
59 KB, 1160x629
>>7750563
I thought it was about a miscreant going 'les normales ré!'
>>
File: Selection_013.png (33 KB, 1598x42) Image search: [Google]
Selection_013.png
33 KB, 1598x42
Why are AUR developers so shit at writing descriptions?
>>
If you think Brave New World is a utopia, what are you doing on a literature board?

The rebel in the story is a lover of Shakespeare.
>>
>>7750563

4chan only cares about how many buzzwords they can try to sully the name of a given popular work with.
>>
>>7749643
Only the savage doesn't end up happy in the book, because he kills himself.
Everyone else finds a fate that leaves them happy. Literally every single person in the book. Bernard and the other guy get sent to that island with like minded people that also feel displaced in the world, where they are free to be individuals instead of participating in society and the pneumatic girl is showed to be banging some other alpha.
>>
>>7750845
It's not as if I can take the soma pill. In this society I need books to cope.
>>
>>7751075
This, and even the savage no longer suffers so everyone wins.
>>
>>7751075
The pneumatic girl is the girl that shows up for John at the end. He probably killed her.

Dystopia doesn't mean that the inhabitants of the world suffer, because they have been conditioned to not suffer. By that definition, no setting is a dystopia, because you could always imagine a person that would enjoy living there.

The characters in this book that are happy aren't aware of the costs that their temporary happiness brings. Like I said, if you don't consider those costs significant, then obviously this book wouldn't be a dystopia to you. Whether something is ideal or a dystopia is up to the reader.
>>
>>7751489
>Dystopia doesn't mean that the inhabitants of the world suffer, because they have been conditioned to not suffer. By that definition, no setting is a dystopia, because you could always imagine a person that would enjoy living there.
That is not true at all. The fact is that nobody that is actually a part of the society of BNW is unhappy about their position, sure they have been conditioned to like it, and even the rare ones that do happen to be unhappy about it are given a chance to be sent somewhere far away where they will be happy but wont disrupt the functioning of the world. It is not a case of "someone could be happy here" it is "everyone is happy". Only savage wasn't, and that was because he didn't have the chance to go through the same system that everyone else went through.
>>
I think dystopia really just boils down to a future where it seems like some sort of "soul" has been lost, from our point of view. The difference between a dystopia and a utopia is entirely relative, it seems stupid to argue about which is which.
>>
>>7749530
Why did you even bring up Island? You just gave the answer to your question.

Island is the example of how BNW could have been better, but wasn't. Island shows exactly how BNW is dystopic.
>>
>>7752347
Then it varies depending on happiness. If someone did terrible things in their life, then just erased the memories of it ever occurring and lived happily for the rest of their life, would that be a happy ending? It depends.

I'm not saying these people aren't happy, but whether it is considered positive or negative is depends on the cost of their happiness. This is subjective, as I said.

My point there was that if having someone happy makes something not a dystopia, there is no such thing as a dystopia.
>>
>>7749530
I don't know but it encouraged me to write the most utopian book I can imagine, then market it as 'dystopian' and see what happens
>>
>>7749530
I kind of agree

BNW is a hippy herbivore utopia, they just don't know it
>>
>>7752399
>instead of a taped voice it's now a literal parrot indoctrinating you
>instead of soma you get natural plaaaants maaan

wow this matches my unwashed aesthetic much more, must be utopic now
>>
BNW is only a utopia for the alphas and betas. It never really mentions anything about the vast hordes of stunted twins powering the society but that they exist.

Is it just one virgin who makes these threads every week? You would be in the furnaces working gaskets and shit buddy.
>>
>>7753902
Those other casts are also happy, did you even read the book? Everyone is created and raised in such a way as to prefer their own position in society.
>>
>>7754597
>The other casts are also happy

lol okay I'm sure because some dickhead who plows mad puss believes this it must be true. Sounds like some chink propaganda or something to be quite honest family.
>>
>>7749530
Because man without God is in Hell, or going there anyway
>>
>>7749530
>Not aware of the utopia/dystopia argument surrounding BNW
Get out
>>
>>7754677
The world government has the means to keep the plebs happy and it is in their best interest to do so. There's literally no reason not to.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.