[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thinking of going to college for Journalism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1446018612798.jpg (80 KB, 532x709) Image search: [Google]
1446018612798.jpg
80 KB, 532x709
I've never been on /lit/ before so cut me some slack.

19 year old NEET here, never figured out what i wanted to be in highschool because i had no friends/motivation. i graduated with 60's which is basically me only showing up to hand in major assignments and exams. for example, i had around 35 absences in each class every semester. through that time of being a complete loner all i did was skip school and read/watch band interviews (among other media of course but music related taking precedence), i even used to write up little album reviews on my shitty tumblr that i'm somewhat too embarrassed to share (no self esteem). whenever something exciting/heartbreaking or even just something that i need to vent about occurs in my life i go straight to writing. i feel it's the easiest way for me to find comfort in the situation and pouring it out on a word document or a note usually also helps me better understand what i'm feeling. I can write for hours if im passionate about the subject, i also used write a ton of fiction as a kid. i want to get my life on track, and all i can really think of going to college for is Journalism, i have all the requirements for the program as well. what do you think?
>>
jorunalism is dying and if you get into it youll just end up writing shitty buzzfeed clickbait unless youre willing to risk your life and travel to warzones while getting paid fuck all
>>
>>7749415
this is what i'm afraid of, though i know you can do a lot with a journalism degree i just think it's more fitted to be a part-time job nowadays.
>>
>>7749415
Or you'll be writing political articles which fit the agendas of the companies who fund the websites and publications.
>>
>>7749413
journalism degree is worthless, if you want to get into journalism then get an economics or political science degree, you might get to do more than to be an errand boy.

pen and paper journo is a shit field right now though. becoming freelance and reporting from war zones is pretty much the only "cool" thing you can do. and you don't need a degree to do that
>>
>>7749413
кoт Бeгeмoт
>>
>>7749413
if you are in a country that charges more than $2000/year for uni you should instead work really hard on your tumblr, become autodidact, build a twitter following, etc. you need a portfolio, not a degree
ideally you should write for the uni paper, perhaps don't mention you're not a student or lie about it
>>
Hey OP, I had the same thought a few years ago. After two years and four terms of sampling courses and considering my options I have dropped out of University (which was the best decision I've made in years) and have started working at McDonalds.

If you are interested in paid writing, start with unpaid writing and build your credibility. I am currently in contact with an online Film Journal to start publishing my pieces on their website - for $$$

Good luck.
>>
Hey OP I work in the world of journalism and have read literally thousands of journalist CVs. The best thing you can do if you go into journalism is to SPECIALIZE in something. If you go for some vague degree you'll get cucked by someone with a special interest in the outlets you apply to afterwards.

Start writing without pay ASAP for your regional home paper and build up enough rapport to get a reference from the editor.
>>
don't major in journalism, it'll pigeonhole you really badly

do something like english or economics and just contribute a lot to your school publications and intern at local journo companies

>>7749487
(You)
>>
>>7749482
My thoughts exactly.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.