[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do any of you have experience with translating texts to a language
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: Give him a nickname.jpg (469 KB, 800x3425) Image search: [Google]
Give him a nickname.jpg
469 KB, 800x3425
Do any of you have experience with translating texts to a language you're not familiar, using dictionaries?

One of my English teachers once told me her father made her translate texts to English and French.
>>
>>7749400
that is one incredibly bad dude.
>>
Wow, I thought I was a delinquent in highschool but this guy takes the cake.
>>
that's good writing
>>
>>7749400
Fucking Cromartie High man
Best Jap crap
>>
There's nothing wrong working with a language you don't know yet. It's a common exercise found in most good learning methods, and a great one. Back in school, we often translated Latin authors as soon as we got the bases. The error is to think you do read in this way—like reading “The Stranger” in French with a dictionary—or that your translation is valuable in any way. It's a plain exercise, something you should destroy or forget once it's done and corrected. However, it should definitely be carried on along with a solid understanding of grammar. Do not try to translate something you have literally zero experience with.
>>
>>7749470
>It's a plain exercise, something you should destroy or forget once it's done and corrected.

I'm currently translating subtitles to languages not available in the internet. I plan on sharing them.

>However, it should definitely be carried on along with a solid understanding of grammar.

Something I lack but not something I'm struggling with. The internet is helping with conjugations and grammar.
>>
>>7749477
Language isn't a puzzle where each piece has to be retrieved and put next to the right one. You won't perform a good translation—and probably won't learn that much—if you can't understand the sentence as a whole and get the intimate link between each part. The same way you won't be a chemist by checking the substance on Wikipedia, you won't learn a language with the sole help of internet. On the contrary, I highly suggest to never use it.

>I plan on sharing them
Maybe someone will download it and use it to learn the language, which is partly why internet is a dangerous learning material.
>>
>>7749503

I do understand the sentences and can translate them nicely.

Romance languages are not Chinese.
>>
>>7749509
>I do understand the sentences and can translate them nicely
How much worth the opinion of someone who doesn't speak the language?

It's plain delusion to think you can easily master and translate a foreign language because it's supposedly connected to yours.
>>
>>7749514
OK, nice opinion.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.