[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Favourite essays by le new sincerity man? I just finished 'E
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1452407353829.png (313 KB, 539x435) Image search: [Google]
1452407353829.png
313 KB, 539x435
Favourite essays by le new sincerity man?

I just finished 'E Unibus Pluram' and I want to read more.
>>
If you've ever been to a carnival or fair,
"Getting Away From Already Pretty Much Being Away From It All"

If you like David Lynch movies,
"David Lynch Keeps His Head"

If you like tennis,
"Michael Joyce's Professional Artistry . . . [not typing the rest of the title]

But, regardless of what you like, read,
"A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again "

Sorry if you were looking for another essay about fiction / pop-culture. I've only read his first collection.
>>
>>7748844
Good suggestions, gracias
>>
Big Red Son is amazing
>>
>>7748856

De nada, amigo.
>>
Is it true his suicide note is going to be released to the public once ten years are up?
>>
>>7748907
Hopefully with an introduction by john green
>>
>>7748820
'Host' is very interesting. He spent some time behind the scenes at a Limbaugh style right wing radio show, and his observations confirm my suspicion that it's an act 90% of the time.
>>
I'm a huge fan of DFW's essays and have read the three collections several times each (ASFTINDA, CTL & BFAN). A Supposedly Fun Thing is the best collection and probably the best single essay. Long but always hilarious and full of his usual insight and digressions. The Lynch essay is brilliant and I think the Michael Joyce essay is his best on tennis. Anon was right to mention Host (there is a response from the subject on the internet somewhere - he didn't like the essay!). And off the top of my head I know I always enjoy the Tracy Austin essay, which is about DFW's endless disappointment about and sick addiction to sporting autobiographies.
>>
“Tennis, trigonometry, tornadoes A Midwestern boyhood" - http://harpers.org/wp-content/uploads/HarpersMagazine-1991-12-0000710.pdf
>>
My personal favorites are Big Red Son, David Lynch Keeps His Head, A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again, and Authority and American Usage.
>>
>>7748911
You mean Harold Bloom.
>>
>>7748820
What's his worst essay?
Probably the 9/11 one.
>>
>>7748820
Roger Federer as Religious Experience
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.