[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of authors namedropping brands, products, and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: tao-yates-pic.jpg (484 KB, 723x1000) Image search: [Google]
tao-yates-pic.jpg
484 KB, 723x1000
What do you think of authors namedropping brands, products, and franchises?
>>
File: 911.png (284 KB, 479x384) Image search: [Google]
911.png
284 KB, 479x384
>>7748498
who cares.
toyota celica.
>>
>>7748498
it lends realism to the work because that is how most people think being faced with a 24/7 ad barrage
are there authors of recent fiction who don't do this?
>>
Do people still do that? It was played out in the 80s.
>>
>>7748498

>he got some mcdonalds
>he got some fast food

either one works, sometimes people get mcdonalds so might as well just say mcdonalds
>>
>>7748498
Sometimes such products can establish a character's social class. Someone who drinks a lot of Coke is very likely lower-class, while a man who checks his Vanguard account before driving his Toyota Avalon to his squash game is probably well-to-do.
>>
>>7748498
It was epik in Ready Player One.
>>
>>7748540
There are new brands.
>>
>>7748498
It depends on how it's done. If it's a BEE-style barrage of product names and brands, then fuck that shit. If it's just a casual unobtrusive mention it's ok. If it's a DFW-style autistic level of detail about one product, that can work too but needs to be done sparingly.
>>
Nothing wrong with it. might be confusing for readers centuries in the future but who writes for them
>>
>>7748498
Fuck off fatherdubs. Stop your damn taoposting.
>>
File: 7569591_orig.jpg (69 KB, 500x485) Image search: [Google]
7569591_orig.jpg
69 KB, 500x485
Is In Search of Lost Time the Ready Player One of its day?
>>
It's always shit. Donna Tartt drove me insane with that shit when I tried to read the Goldfinch. "Look at me I've seen Citizen Kane and Potemkin, am I cultured yet?"
>>
>>7748498
god damn it i fucking hate that guy, talk about trying too hard
>>
It's only obnoxious when it seems to serve no literary purpose

ie, "Sitting down at his desk, he flipped open his MacBook Air and checked for Facebook notifications."
>>
they are the trees and rivers of our time
>>
>>7748587
American Psycho was good though. Mundane shit that flies over the heads of normalfaggots gets picked up and processed methodically by Dubsman because he thinks that's how you be like other people. Without the autistic regurgitated analysis of popular music and clothing brands Bateman would just be an edgelord who kills people.
>>
It's terrible. At least let me pretend that the universality of literature is unaffected by capitalism.
>>
>>7748498
Have you read White Noise?
>>
specificity is good. obtrusive namedropping is bad. there is a happy medium

Lin and Ellis have a purpose when they do it, which doesn't mean they don't fucking suck
>>
>>7748498
If it's done right it's fine, if it's done in a "look guys i'm adding real life elements lol" way or a "look guys i'm making a joke about capitalism/materialism but I'm pretending i'm not lol" then it sucks dick
>>
>>7748529
ugh, and what do we do with all that advertising? hit the x in the top right corner and close the window. just like i did with tao pin kong
>>
Specificity is funnier. You'll notice comedians will always be precise about details because it makes a scene better.

IE talking about your daschund is better than talking about your dog. It's no more work but creates a much clearer image.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.