[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do they actually teach literature in uni? How the hell do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1455930662499.png (660 KB, 1106x1012) Image search: [Google]
1455930662499.png
660 KB, 1106x1012
How do they actually teach literature in uni? How the hell do they teach books so that it becomes a university course?

I've only taken an English class in high school, and it was mostly about how to write letters and stuff. When we read a book all we had to was talk about the main plot and characters, we didn't have to go "deep" like I assume they do in uni. I don't really know what goes on up there.
>>
/v/ leakage
>>
File: 1454761705871.jpg (2 MB, 5592x1872) Image search: [Google]
1454761705871.jpg
2 MB, 5592x1872
For starters, look at the Comparative Literature syllabus on the website of your nearest university. I'd post a real answer but I'm on dodgy mobile and frankly don't know if this thread is even deserving of one.
>>
>>7747615
University is my favourite video game too.
>>
>>7747634
>I'm on mobile
>has a picture like that saved
>>
Watch some lectures online.
>>
I'm a soon to be graduate of a top 20 uni where I majored in English.
Basically, it depends on the course. Most university's will have an Introductory course, which will introduce prospective students to the general method of studying English. At my university, this was a survey course from Homer to Shakespeare. The coursework included reading and writing interpretive essays. Exams were a mix of knowledge based questions (mostly passage identification) and essay questions, with an emphasis on the latter.
As to the actual teaching of it, which I will to take to mean the day to day activities in class, usually takes the format of a lecture by the Professor and then discussion based on the lecture and whatever material you had to read for that day.
>>
>>7747634
Okay this is from a history of western culture class:
>Learning Objectives and Outcomes:
>On successful completion of this course, students are expected to be able to:
>- -- identify and analyze a wide range of key figures in Western culture in terms of the period in which they lived, the style of their art or writing, and one or two major works
>- -- identify the main characteristics of movements in Western culture such as the Renaissance, the Baroque, Romanticism, and Modernism, giving some specific examples from literature, art, and music
>-- describe a few major influences on each of these styles (e.g., imitation of earlier periods, historical or social factors)
>-- understand the importance of a historical perspective and be aware of how features of literature and art are used to convey cultural values and status.

So they just sort of talk about how it fits into history I guess.

>>7747656
Yeah but how do you actually talk about it though? Are the classes just like a long review like on youtube?
>>
>>7748184

The videos on YouTube ARE of actual courses and lectures.

Disappointing right?
>>
I learned such things as speculations on the possible gayness of authors and the depressing events in their life and times which inspired them to write.

It was so unexpectedly unpleasant that I asked the prof something about why there was nothing positive about literature in the course when there are authors like Austen. He said something about how she had to be positive to deal with the particularly terrible time she lived in.

Come to think of it, I had a bad prof.
>>
They literally just talk about the stupidest shit imaginable. There is no learning being done
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.