[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
pynchon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: vcover.jpg (48 KB, 297x500) Image search: [Google]
vcover.jpg
48 KB, 297x500
Am I stupid for not being totally enamored by V?
>>
No, because you have Gravity's Rainbow.
>>
Voss by Patrick White is better.
>>
Yes. Being enamored by V has replaced IQ tests a long time ago.
>>
You at the beginning? It gets better
>>
>>7747425
not as good as Gene Wolfe, desu senpai
>>
It's one of his weaker novels, arguably gimmickier than Lot 49 (which he disowned for being too gimmicky).

You're stupid if you don't love Mason & Dixon or Gravity's Rainbow though.
>>
I thought V. was great, but it's kinda overrated here on /lit/
>>
>>7747435

just read the museum heist that ended up being for no reason
>>
>>7747425
I wasn't enamored by it either. I just don't think everyone is cut out for Post-Modernism, seeing everything from an ultimate perspective, maybe it just means i'm not worldly or smart enough.

I just felt like I couldn't trust Pynchon as far as I could throw him, and that I wouldn't like him if I met him. Maybe if I were still smoking weed daily, I would have been enamored, but as it was, I was just yearning for something more sincere, I picked up Moby Dick after that. I don't regret my choice.
>>
>>7748574
>he isnt permahigh when reading tommy

lmao
>>
>>7747425
He was an immature writer, and it's not a great novel, but has its moments. If you're not reading it just to round out your understanding of Pynchon, it might be better to read Mason & Dixon, GR or one of his more accessible novels line Inherent Vice or Lot 49.
>>
>>7748581
well yeah, that's the thing. i'm sure i would have sped right through it if i had been high.
>>
>>7748589

I'm reading it in prep for Grav's Rainbow, I liked DFW so thought I'd get into him just the same.
>>
>>7748726
My honest-to-God recommendation for getting into Pynchon is to read Lot 49 and Inherent Vice back-to-back like they're a single volume, then read Gracity's Rainbow or Mason and Dixon.

V. introduces some characters who appear in GR, but it won't make GR better.
>>
>>7748745
Don't listen to this guy. V. and GR are companion pieces in all but name.
>>
>>7748574
Took the words out of my mouth
>>
>>7748553
Out of pure curiosity, what is it specifically that you aren't liking or finding bland?
>>
>>7748768
this thread is making me confused. I have V on hold at the library but I am considering switching it for MD. Should I read V first before GR or what?
>>
>>7748886
As someone who just read V. (specifically with reading GR in mind) and GR back to back there is a lot of crossover, mostly thematically, some characters directly. You can easily read GR without V. since GR feels more like an expansion of V. (in it's similar elements, it's much more than a "V. 2" [:^)]) than a 'part 1 and part 2'.

I really enjoyed V. though and found it well worth the read.
>>
>>7748814
glad i wasn't the only one.
>>
>>7748959
>V2
Fuck. Now I'm sure Pynchon did this on purpose.
>>
File: tommy and davey.jpg (19 KB, 338x279) Image search: [Google]
tommy and davey.jpg
19 KB, 338x279
>>7748959
>V2

Papa-Pynch strikes again!
>>
File: 8.gif (906 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
8.gif
906 KB, 500x500
Yr not stupid, yr just average. It's like not 'getting' calculus. Not everyone can handle a 10 as a girlfriend, and not everyone can pull off a black Ducati 821. Yr just normal. Have fun watching TV.
>>
>>7749780
/thread
>>
>>7747439
Proof that he disowned it?
>>
>>7750492
He didn't. He calls it a 'potboiler' in an interview. It's still fucking amazing. Also... the 'he wrote GR while high' is from an interview w/a friend of his from which he stole a girlfriend. So... all just bullshit. (Some ppl will say the Lot 49 thing is from the Intro to Slow Learner, but they haven't read it)
>>
>>7750492
He didn't. That claim is based on a comment in the intro to Slow Learner where he says Lot 49 shows the up and down progress of his learning curve because he forgot all the things he learned about writing that he applied/learned during V. when he wrote Lot 49.
>>
>>7750529
>>7750512
Ah thanks!
>>
>>7750512
to say cannabis didn't play any part at all in the writing process is less believable.
>>
>>7750704
Why?
>>
>>7750725
he probably came up with at least a few of the skits while smoking.
>>
>>7750762
That's what I was asking 'Why?' about.
>>
where do i start with pinecone guys?
>>
>>7750788
49 | V. | GR | M&D
>>
>>7749780
maybe you're the average one.
saying someone is average because they don't like a book is what half of you plebs bitch about on a daily basis. you plebs can't even agree on shakespeare ffs. besides. Gaddis is ten times the author pynchon is. hell DFW is at least twice the author he is.
>>
>>7751122
You got2b more subtle, man.
>>
>>7751220
it's true. prove otherwise.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.