[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do writers actually enjoy their own stuff? I've heard of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
File: 1456473651789.jpg (105 KB, 580x800) Image search: [Google]
1456473651789.jpg
105 KB, 580x800
Do writers actually enjoy their own stuff? I've heard of a lot of professional musicians not being able to listen to/not liking their own music so it got me thinking
>>
Post boipussy. I've already been denied a pic of a thick eight incher on here earlier, and, I need a fix.
>>
I go through periods of loving/detesting my work while writing. As I'm editing I'll (obviously) read it a shit tonne, and then once I'm finished I'll never have the urge to read it again
>>
>>7747291
Not sure, it was trimmed shortly after the anon said he was at work.
I don't want it in my ass, just my mouth, or hand, or in front of my eyes.
>>
>>7747301
God what a picky lil pricky ;)
>>
>>7747300
Ya I feel the same way. Writing, for me, is a lot like chopping wood in that way. Hard work, and then, burning it (sometimes literally). Really a high form of catharsis.
>>
>>7747278
Would you have sex with your own child? Could be related.
>>
>>7747311
Does Howdy Doody have a wooden dick?
>>
My memory is shit so sometimes when I re-read my stuff I rediscover things I'd completely forgotten were in there, which is always enjoyable. A scene, a joke, a turn of phrase. It's good for learning what I do right or wrong, and how to improve on that. I wouldn't sit down to read a novel I'd written after I'd finished editing it though. I'd already know all the spoilers.
>>
>>7747326
>reading for plot
>>
I write solely because I'm dissatisfied with other works.

Of course I love it.
>>
Is anyone posting here published?
>>
>>7747337
You're conceited enough to think your work is better than others?
>>
>>7747301
I'm also interested in this lit dick posting thread.
>>
>>7747348
While dissatisfaction is different from hate...
And I didn't say my works are better at the moment...

In twenty years time, definitely.
>>
>>7747348
I don't think that says anything about thinking he's better. Good projection though friendarooni.

The feeling of dissatisfaction or that something can be done better is one of the fundamental driving forces of creatives.
>>
>>7747278
this isn't a qt at all, mods ban this op
>>
I think musicians don't like their music in the same way you might not like a song if you've heard it hundreds of times
>>
>>7747448

Exactly this. I know every single part of the song inside out because I made it and spent hours meticulously picking and panning and placing every note and adjusting frequencies so that they don't clash. By the time its done I have a achieved a level of familiarity that's most people never achieve with any song. It's months before I can listen to the song from an outsiders perspective.
>>
File: park cup.png (2 MB, 1037x882) Image search: [Google]
park cup.png
2 MB, 1037x882
>>7747278
>Do writers actually enjoy their own stuff?

no we don't, after editing and re-reading a work dozens of times it gets nauseating, I don't even want to look at the finished product.
>>
>>7747318
Don pls go
>>
Depends.

Personal projects I write that I intend to publish? I get super critical of that to the point get disgusted with myself.

My nasty ass erotica I spam Amazon to make beer money with? Riddled with spelling errors, and I don't even plan out and proof read. Still sells to perverts. I don't even think twice about it unless I make a sequel.

Stuff I ghostwrite for people on Upwork and Freelancers? I proofread, re-read it from time to time for other ideas for other people. Actually enjoy that the most because I'm paid $100 for 10,000 words and that's literally a day and a half of work.
>>
File: 1438612108848.jpg (27 KB, 247x236) Image search: [Google]
1438612108848.jpg
27 KB, 247x236
>writers
>enjoy
>>
Before writing a text you have it as a conceptual idea in your head. Reading something that you already know is not very exciting, at least for me
>>
>>7747337
Willow Smith GTFO
>>
Yes I enjoy most of the books I write, the ones I don't usually end up being shitty cash grabs, I put a lot of soul into the books that became best sellers and which I still enjoy reading today, even though they were written a decade ago.
It's always fun cracking up to your own jokes as you're so immersed in the story you forgot it's you who wrote it, or even forgetting some parts of the story and becoming fascinated with it
>>
>>7747423
stfu
>>
>>7748924
this
>>
>>7749422
>$100 for 10,000 words? That's really not much at fucking all
>>
>>7749442
If you like to jerk off to your own prose it's enjoyable. There are some paragraphs that i've written (be it far and between) that i get hard af from
>>
>>7749498
Who are you?
>>
>>7749565
$100 for 10,000 words is really not very much, maybe in '$1 an hour' USA
>>
File: 1455928362409.png (207 KB, 307x371) Image search: [Google]
1455928362409.png
207 KB, 307x371
if you don't even like your own work, how could you reasonably expect others to be moved by it?
>>
>>7749728
Your statement makes no sense

Please reflect on it
>>
The only writing of mine I enjoy are my shitposts on /lit/, several of which I often see reposted occasionally. It actually makes me very critical of my non-shitpost writing since it doesn't seem as entertaining.
>>
>>7749734
But you're wrong. If you think your work is shit, it probably is shit. If you're talking about creating the work itself, the process of writing/composing/whatever, then you might be right, it can be tiring and nauseating, but not liking what you're creating means that others might feel the same about it. For what purpose do you write in the first place?
>>
>>7749440
this
>>
>>7747278
Why write stuff you don't enjoy reading? I mostly write funny stuff, and I never let anything get through that didn't make me laugh.
>>
>>7747336
>thejoke.mpg
>>
>>7747336
>writing for the plot
>>
>>7749565
If you can do it in under 8 hours, which any experienced writer should, that's not bad at all in my hotbpqh
>>
>>7750403
A day and a half of work is not 8 hours. That comes to roughly minimum wage.
>>
>>7749498

Tell us your name or your works please
>>
>>7750403
$12.50 an hour? lol PHAT paycheck mate
>>
>>7752305
if u wanna get rich maybe u should study finance or something ya fuckin dummy
>>
The only writing of mine that actually moves me is when I post in a feel thread on any board, keep the tab open, fall asleep, refresh the page, re-read it as someone else's post, and identify with it, before realizing it was my own thought
>>
>>7747278
Not liking your work like them wont make you like them, you probably dont like your own stuff because is shit, lol.
>>
Speaking as someone who's written two short stories and a short play, I think that all of my work is cringeworthy.
>>
I always loved writing, but when I read over the finished product I was disgusted by how amatuerish and bad it was.

Now, I hate writing. Not the actual act of it, but I second guess myself, feel bad about what I'm putting down, and reread sentences over and over getting more disgusted each time. I end up loving the finished products though, I'm proud of them.

Is this a sign of maturity? What causes such a paradigm shift?
>>
I don't write, but I make music. I'm not professional by any means, but I'd like to be.

I don't have any recordings though beyond rudimentary ideas though. Why? Because they make me cringe when I listen to them a few days later.

I do sometimes think maybe that's how it always is, and always will be. Things are never how they sound in your head.

I study English Literature and I cringe when I read essays from a while ago. We are our own worst critics, and maybe that's a good thing. I must stop being unnecessarily harsh though.
>>
Yeah I really enjoy my stuff as long as it shows that I put 100% of my effort into it
>>
It's probably just exhaustion with the material from creating it.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.