[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he right? Is the Divine Comedy sci-fi?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: tumblr_nq4ts1J3Vf1qitanno1_1280.jpg (133 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nq4ts1J3Vf1qitanno1_1280.jpg
133 KB, 600x600
Is he right? Is the Divine Comedy sci-fi?
>>
>>7746087
Borges said the same thing, basically.

He loved Dante and he loved the Quran because it was trippy fantasy to him.
>>
>>7746094
Wolfe said since theology is a science, The Divine Comedy is sci-fi
>>
>>7746087
Who is spamming Wolfe threads? Like ask in one of the two already going.
>>
Awww shit another good ol Gene Wolfe thread!
>>
>>7746120
just sage it and carry on in the other active threadds
>>
>>7746144
Nah. We could use some more threads about the one and only lord and savior.
>>
>>7746087
Wolfe is always. ALWAYS. right.
>>
>>7746110
i only did one of them, the rest are spawning after i went hardcore meme the other day and spammed his name in practically every thread.
>>
>retroactively apply a genre that only came into existence fairly recently as a marketing term for genre lit to a book written hundreds of years a go

Don't do that
>>
>>7747179
It's proof that sci-fi can be literary
>>
>>7747193
The point is that 'science fiction' as a conception didn't even exist until hundreds of years after Dante, so it's stupid to apply the term to The Divine Comedy.

You're applying what is largely a marketing term to a guys work who had no idea about the tropes or genre that the term is even denoting.
>>
>>7747179
>>7747212

But could it not be considered sci-fi retroactively? It can very easy be read as sci-fi even if it wasn't expressly written with that intent.
>>
>>7747381
It could be retroactively read as a Marxist metaphor for government but it isn't. See Harold Bloom
>>
>>7747401
>>7747381
Argument Wolfe makes is
Theology was a for science Dante
Comedy was a theological fiction
Comdey was for Dante what SF is for a todays man
>>
>>7747413
Is that a good comparison for today's people to understand? - yes. Does that make it sci fi? - no
>>
>>7746087
for an actual SF take on dante , read Niven and Pournelle's Inferno....
>>
>>7747420
I agree.It just means that SF is not inherently less valuble than realism.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.